DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I've saw 29 of those top 50 films. Boyhood probably isn't even in my top 10. It was good though.

So far, my top 15 would probably be; (In chronological order as I haven't quiet decided which I prefer yet!) 

Inside Llewyn Davis - Oscar Isaac is incredible and the soundtrack is my favourite of the year, right next to Guardians of the Galaxy.

12 Years A Slave - Just powerful filmmaking. 

Dallas Buyers Club - There ain't nothin out there that can kill Ron Woodruff in 30 days.

Her - The only film this year that made me cry. I watched this in a completely empty cinema too. Decent experience. 

X-Men: Days Of Future Past - Guardians was more fun but I enjoyed the period setting.

Calvary - Brendan Gleeson being incredible again. Good ending too.

Locke - Manages to make concrete interesting. 

The Grand Budapest Hotel - I didn't think Ralph Fiennes would ever top his role in In Bruges but he has here.

The Two Faces Of January - Strong Hitchcockian cat-and-mouse thriller.Once again Oscar Isaac is good and sexy. 

Edge Of Tomorrow - The final third is a little dull but the chemistry between Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt is great. Are there still people out there who still dislike Tom Cruise? And if so, why?

Cold in July - Similar to Two Faces, one of those little thrillers that are easily my favourite kind of film.

Honourables mentions;

Nymphomaniac

The Stag

God's Pocket

Begin Again

Locke

• Moderators

Are there still people out there who still dislike Tom Cruise? And if so, why?

I don't dislike him per se, but I do mentally associate him as being a hallmark of mediocrity. Sometimes his films are above average but usually they are just passably decent without being exciting or recommendable. Which may as well be terrible for me, because I don't make a lot of time for watching films so when I watch one I want it to be damn good, not just a time filler.

PS, Locke is on your main list and your honourable mentions!

• Paid Members

So I finally watched Reservoir Dogs. One to tick off the list of films my brother can't believe I haven't seen. Got to be honest but apart from the iconic black and white image and the fact it was Tarrantino's first direction, I've known fuck all about it all these years. Not like Pulp Fiction (which is next on the list) where I've seen aload of clips down the years. I went into it knowing nothing about it.

I thought it was good, obviously. The way it moves around telling the story almost backwards was probably fairly ground-breaking at the time but is less novel now. It does a great job though and the story of how they got there and what happened to the other guys is interesting enough to keep you involved. The violence was strong which I expected but even so the scene with Mr. Blonde torturing the cop is pretty fucking sick. Turns out my stomach is stronger than I thought.

My favourite scene was the opening one at the diner. I thought the dialogue was good and the varying characters interesting. There wasn't really enough of that throughout the film. That'd be my only real criticism. It's a good story, it's interesting, it looks good, the soundtrack is good and it emits genuine emotion - mostly digust.

• Paid Members

I’m surprised in this day and age there’s a chap who hasn’t seen Reservoir Dogs. I’d loved to have been in your situation and watching it for the first time...again.
Myself and a mate snuck...sneaked...???...into that, in the UCI back in the day. We bought tickets to Strictly Ballroom and went into Reservoir Dogs and it blew my little 12 year old mind! We got rumbled on the way out and the security guards threatened to report us to the police as we had paid for a childs ticket and not adult tickets, so essentially, we were stealing. They let us go after I’d said “I just really, really, really wanted to see it”. Which was nice.

I obsessed over that movie for a long time afterwards and swapped a Game Boy and some games for a shitty, blurry, pirate copy if it.

Tim Roth is still shit in it though.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

I need to give Boyhood another watch. Like the fella typed, I'm not sure it would make my personal top 10. The way they made it was impressive blah blah but it dragged, which wasn't helped when SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
the wee boy turned into a bit of a Flaming June-type bore.

Last night I got round to watching All Is Lost with Redford. Despite having little dialogue and no support cast, it's a really compelling watch. Redford's hair is at it's best while swimming under water.

• Moderators

It just really resonated with me. I went to see it with my sister and we both said the same thing when we came out - it reminded us of so much stuff from our own childhood that we had totally forgotten about.

Thought it was really well written - so many subtle touches to make it feel really real...

If you didn't get much out of it on first viewing I can't imagine anything changing a second time around though.

I was conscious it was long as I was watching it because, shit, you watch the kids grow up in front of you. But even still as he got older I was just sad because I knew it would be ending soon and I'd never get a chance to see what became of them all. And I really wanted to know what happened to SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
their step siblings with the violent drunk

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Fair enough. There were a lot of touching and intense moments throughout the film, which wasn't lost on me. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
The drunk step Dad exploding at the dinner table had my heart beating hard with a bit of shock and anger; great scene that. The family dynamic of the fun Dad visiting now and again, and leaving the nagging Mum to do all the heavy lifting was pretty spot on too, going by my own experience with my parents etc.

Again, I wasn't really happy with how things turned out, which didn't help the progression to college part of the movie. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
Yeah, I also spent a chunk of the film wondering/hoping we would get word about the step family. Without question my favourite part of the movie, with the drunk step Dad.

• Paid Members

Million Ways To Die In The West is utterly woeful. I've been a McFarlane fan for years but this was utterly horrendous. There is quite literally nothing in it that gets any kind of reaction whatsoever

See I really enjoyed Ted, and I have been in and out of love with family guy so I don't hate Seth, but glad I'm not alone