DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

This evening I watched Another 48 Hrs.  It's the most 80s movie ever, it's like the 80s climaxed in this film.  The music is literally 100% steelpans, saxophones and panpipe type things.  There's a shit ton of smoking, pointless violence, macho posturing and wisecracks.  The cast is a Who's Who of 80s secondary actors:

You've got Brion James

48Hours16.jpeg

Ed O'Ross

13116-194.jpg

Ted Markland

ted_markland.jpg

Kevin Tighe, who can only ever play bad people surely

17137-16104.gif

Brent Jennings, motherfucker

14067266_ori.jpg

Allan Graf, who's always getting shot

400px-Bnights-sw29b.jpg

and probably loads more.

There is absolutely no plot, just a series of lines that are said to get the actors from A to B, but it doesn't matter because it's really well shot and the music thumps along.  Friends become enemies, enemies become friends, guns are fired, city street are wrecked.

One thing that I miss from movies of this era is the blend of comedy-action and extreme violence and swearing.  It was ok to call blow up a car, shoot chunks out of someone, use the n-word and then sing James Brown badly for comic effect, all in the same scene.

I honestly think I'd rather watch this than Beverly Hills Cop nowadays.

• Paid Members

The music is literally 100% steelpans, saxophones and panpipe type things.

I might be confusing it with the first, or it might appear in both (been a while) so correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt 48 Hours, much like Red Heat, a note for note duplication of the Commando score?

Yeah!  I thought I recognised the theme, but assumed it was from the first film.

It goes... boom... tong tong tong tong tong tong tong tong tong... boom... tong tong tong tong tong tong tong tong tong...

• Paid Members

This evening I watched Another 48 Hrs. It's the most 80s movie ever, it's like the 80s climaxed in this film. The music is literally 100% steelpans, saxophones and panpipe type things. There's a shit ton of smoking, pointless violence, macho posturing and wisecracks.

There is absolutely no plot, just a series of lines that are said to get the actors from A to B, but it doesn't matter because it's really well shot and the music thumps along. Friends become enemies, enemies become friends, guns are fired, city street are wrecked.

One thing that I miss from movies of this era is the blend of comedy-action and extreme violence and swearing. It was ok to call blow up a car, shoot chunks out of someone, use the n-word and then sing James Brown badly for comic effect, all in the same scene.

I honestly think I'd rather watch this than Beverly Hills Cop nowadays.

I have a feeling that I've never seen either of the 48 Hours movies, so I'm putting them on this weekends playlist. Brion James is one of those faces I have a soft spot for.

• Paid Members

A class documentary is on Netflix UK right now. "Camp 14: Total Control Zone". It's basically about North Korean Prison Camps. It's actually pretty stunning. A guy who was born there and escaped was the main subject of the story. A former prison camp leader is also interviewed and he is a creepy fucker. Definately recommended.

• Paid Members

Caught the New Zealand mockumentary on flat-sharing vampires 'What We Do In The Shadows' the other night. Terribly funny. There's less than savoury links to it rumbling about on Google if you can't catch one of the limited showings.

Just watched Sex Tape earlier and it is absolute shite.  Listening to Cameron say I love fucking over and over gets quite tedious after a while. I actually thought The Other Women was better but that might've had something to do with Kate Upton running on the beach in a bikini. Seems like Cameron Diaz will take any movie role she can these days.

Taking "any role she can" is a bit of a misnomer. She's had a steady movie career for two decades now, it's not she's on her arse or 'needs' the work. Dodgy choices maybe, but if its a case of filming for five weeks on a crap comedy and getting paid decent money for it, why wouldn't she

Because most A list actresses wouldn't go near a ludicrous script like Sex Tape. Still i'm sure there will be a Razzie with her name on it for this movie.

Edited by Glass Smash