DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The 51st State came out ages before Wrong Turn! They were paying you back!

Wrong Turn 2 is better than the first, but not by enough that I had any interest in watching any more of them. I didn't even know there was a 4 and 5, let alone 6! The first one completely took me out of the film when they had Dushku tied to a bed and didn't. If you need a fix of deviant killer mutants, The Hills Have Eyes remake is the way to go.

• Paid Members

There's 6 of them! I watched the one with Tamer Hassan that was obviously filmed on the cheap in Europe, are they still on that level of badness?

Quick Trivia-I work with Tamer Hassans cousin.

I really enjoy the Wrong Turns. Just simple horror that you can just watch and not think about too much. After a crazy week, it's just the ticket. Besides, in what other films can you see death by fire hose up the arse?

Watched the three V/H/S films over the last couple of days.

V/H/S has some good special effects and make-up effects in all five of the segments, but none of them are really all that good or worth recommending. The first and last segments are probably the best (Amateur Night and 10/31/98), the other three are pretty average and the wrap around story that links the segments (Tape 56) is pretty poor.

V/H/S 2 is better than the original, but again has a poor wrap-around story. It consists of three pretty average segments (Phase I Clinical Trials - An eye implant that allows the user to see ghosts, A Ride in the Park - a cyclist gets attacked during a zombie outbreak, and Slumber Party Alien Abduction - Aliens invade during a party at a lake house) and one very good segment (Safe Haven - A news crew investigates an Indonesian cult). Without Safe Haven it would have been a very average horror anthology though.

V/H/S 3 - Viral is the shortest of the V/H/S series at only 77-minutes (with only 3 segments) and without the middle segment would probably have ended up being the worst. The wrap-around story (Vicious Cricles - A police chase captured on video cameras and camera phones by people hell-bent on capturing the next viral video) is the worst of the three films and just a mess.

- Dante the Great (A magician who come into possession of a magical cloak), is entertaining if nothing all that good, with a mixture of documentary and first-person.

- Parallel Monsters (A man builds a machine that allows him to meet himself from another universe, but all is not as it seems), is the strongest of the segments, with an interesting plot (even if it gets a little silly with the reveal). Also probably the second best after Save Heaven of all the segments in the VHS series.

- Bonestorm (Teenage skaters unwillingly become targets of a Mexican death cult) is quite boring until the skaters meet the cult, and even then it is not all that impressive as they try to fight their way to safety.

• Paid Members

Curse of Chucky was tonight's treat. Bit of a step back to the more serious tone of the first couple of movies which was surprising as I was expecting more of a comedy horror. Not a bad slasher, with a couple of plot twists. Worth watching if nothing better is on. The lead woman is played by Brad Douriffs daughter.

Curse of Chucky was tonight's treat. Bit of a step back to the more serious tone of the first couple of movies which was surprising as I was expecting more of a comedy horror. Not a bad slasher, with a couple of plot twists. Worth watching if nothing better is on. The lead woman is played by Brad Douriffs daughter.

Yeah I enjoyed Curse as well, particularly the moment when 

the lead's sister peels off the plastic on Chucky's face to reveal that he's still in his stitched up form from Bride and Seed

• Paid Members

So, I went to see The Babadook last night. Seeing as it seems to have received universal praise, I was quite looking forward to it but in honesty, I left the cinema not entirely sure if I had really enjoyed it.

It's an incredibly well made film - the sound design and cinematography are incredible but whilst the story, in broad terms, is quite interesting it either can't decide what it wants to be or leaves too much up to interpretation.

Here be spoilers.

My interpretation of the film was that it followed the mothers decent into madness on the anniversary of her husbands death. The Babadook was here creation - we're told that she wrote children's books so I thought we were meant to assume that she made the book. This all makes a reasonable amount of sense but then the film seemingly goes out of its way to hammer home the fact that it's an actual entity which made the whole thing far less interesting to me. I'd have been happier with it if it hadn't ended with that bloody scene that seemed to suggest it's living in their basement.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I went to see The Babadook last night. Seeing as it seems to have received universal praise, I was quite looking forward to it but in honesty, I left the cinema not entirely sure if I had really enjoyed it. It's an incredibly well made film - the sound design and cinematography are incredible but whilst the story, in broad terms, is quite interesting it either can't decide what it wants to be or leaves too much up to interpretation. Here be spoilers. 

My interpretation of the film was that it followed the mothers decent into madness on the anniversary of her husbands death. The Babadook was here creation - we're told that she wrote children's books so I thought we were meant to assume that she made the book. This all makes a reasonable amount of sense but then the film seemingly goes out of its way to hammer home the fact that it's an actual entity which made the whole thing far less interesting to me. I'd have been happier with it if it hadn't ended with that bloody scene that seemed to suggest it's living in their basement.

I pretty much agree with the spoiler tags.

I think the Babadook was basically the women's version of 'the big black dog' from the depression analogy and at the end you see her become strong enough to overcome it but not enough to let it go completely which is why she tucks it away for safe keeping. As you say, a really interesting look at madness but marketed as a horror. I don't think the Babadook is an actual literal thing completely though as no one else sees it bar the loopy mum and kid. Kind of a literal metaphor if such a thing exists.

Off to see Nightcrawler tonight. I'm expecting The King of Comedy meets Drive but I'll settle for Branquey's autistic Patrick Bateman.