DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Watched Blue Velvet on BluRay last night, looked amazing, though last time I watched it, it was taped off Channel 4 on a VHS being used for about the 100th time, so it was always going to be better than that, the scissors bit still makes me cringe (as it's supposed to obviously)

• Awards Moderator

I watched Snowpiercer last night. It's a sci-fi starring Chris Evans, set in a world frozen due to climate change the only remaining survivors live on a train that never stops moving. Evans is part of the back end of the train where the lower classes live and he decides to fight his way through to the front of the train. It was pretty good, the concept is really cool, unique and a bit mad. Tilda Swinton puts in an epic turn and is almost unrecognisable. It's no sci-fi classic but it's well worth a watch.

I watched Snowpiercer tonight! I agree with your assessment, and Tilda was excellent. John Hurt and Alison Pill were also highlights. Absolutely loved the first hour/hour and a half. Didn't get on quite so well with the final half hour; that's not to say it's not good, I just didn't like it quite as much as the first parts.

I think essentially I wanted a few more of the characters we'd been following to have made it to the front and survived. Grey, Octavia Spencer, etc. Just a couple more survivors would have made a sap like me happier!

In agreement that it's well worth a watch!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Tilda Swinton was excellent, but I just found Snowpiercer completely pointless. I normally find something in even the most surreal films, but that was lost on me completely.

Watched Amazing Spiderman 2. Fun, but way too long. Purge:Anarchy was more open world than the first one. No real surprises, but a jolly violent jaunt.

• Paid Members

Yep, it's fantastic. Everyone should watch it.

Paranormal Activity isn't, though. It's shit. If you were scared by this, you're a tit.

Paranormal Activity had the potential to be good, it just let itself down by being stupid.

They go to bed and leave all the lights on downstairs, but the moment something happens, they're scrambling around in the dark. How can you expect an audience to accept the fantastical stuff, when you have characters that don't understand how lights work?

You can get imports from Amazon UK but it doesn't seem to have an official UK release yet

Just put Wrong Turn 6 on. Tits within the first 3 minutes. Love it already!

There's six of them now? Fucking hell

Only watched the second one because it had Henry Rollins in it, and he only does films for the payday

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

The world didn't need one Wrong Turn let alone six.

At least with the old horror franchises you could usually rely on the original to be excellent. The only recent example of the original being decent was Saw. But Wrong Turn wasn't very good in the first place. And Eliza Dushku is absolutely terrible.

• Paid Members

I remember seeing the first "Wrong Turn" as someone from Dexter's in it. That convinced me to never knowingly watch another.

Got dragged to it at the cinema, mainly because my two best mates are huge Buffy fans and Dushku's in it. Paid them back by making them see The 51st State with me.