• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Statto said:

They did basically this exact same video this time last year, IIRC. If they've got footage of recent WWE releases who used to be in TNA, use that. If not, use flags to tease - was a Bulgarian flag last year for Rusev, this year there is an Aussie flag in there for the IIconics etc. Obviously this time around they've chucked the Japanese lads in there too.

I like it.

It also suggests that Slammiversary will be held at the Ryman Auditorium, meaning at least some fans in place by July?

Can see Omega holding onto the belt until Bound for Glory. Neither the Impact nor AEW schedules are gruelling enough to make that a far fetched proposition.

• Paid Members

Yeah. 

If Omega has won the Impact title does this mean they're going to press on with the TNA title as their top championship until Kenny gets round to dropping the belts back? 

• Paid Members

Don Callis constantly repositioning the Impact Title over the TNA Title to make sure the right brand name was visible was great, too.

As much as it was a one match show, I really enjoyed this one. Most matches had at least one person I'm just not a fan of, but nothing seemed to outstay its welcome, and outside of Matt Striker's commentary nothing was egregiously bad. I can see why people have been saying Impact is one of the easiest watches as far as wrestling TV goes, but I think Striker would make me struggle to watch it regularly as he does genuinely anger me. It's a shame, because D'Lo Brown is a great colour commentator. 

I'm curious if we'll see any fallout from this on Dynamite this week. If Omega doesn't show up with all the belts - I'm assuming he doesn't carry his AAA title because either AAA don't want him to, or they physically own the belt and it's stuck in Mexico - on Dynamite, then it's clear that the Impact stuff is just a little sideshow for them, and we probably can't expect any further interaction. But I am sort of expecting we'll get some kind of Impact involvement this week - a run-in from Rich Swann or someone else, maybe evening the odds for a future match against Omega and the Young Bucks or Good Brothers, to give us Swann/Moxley/Kingston vs. Omega and The Bucks/Good Brothers, something along those lines, on a future episode.

Is Don Callis credited on-screen in Impact as one of the executives? I notice they've been using Scott D'Amore as their go-to authority figure, but do they acknowledge Callis as being in charge as well? Because I thought the tag match where he cost Swann the win over Omega was a great clear sign that his loyalties with Omega even supersede his commitments to his own company, and I was surprised they didn't make more of a point that he had chosen Omega over Impact itself. Maybe there's stuff happening on TV that I haven't seen, but surely they should be at least suggesting that the only reason Don Callis bought into Impact in the first place was so that he could eventually pull this off and get the title on Kenny Omega? Wrestling doesn't need any more feuds between non-wrestling authority figures, but it feels like it's part of the story that should be getting told a little more explicitly.

One final note on Don Callis and Matt Striker, though - when Callis made his entrance, Mauro said "AND WE ALL KNOW WHERE HIS LOYALTY LIES", one of the most obvious feeder lines imaginable, and still Matt Striker fucked it up and said, "his loyalty only lies with Don Callis". I get it, you're trying to be the Smartest Guy In The Room and suggest that Don Callis is only out for himself, he's a heel and can't be trusted, but the entire story being told is that Don Callis has been manipulating things for twenty years to get to the point where Kenny Omega is the biggest star in the world. Don Callis' loyalty to Kenny Omega isn't really in question here, and suggesting otherwise undermines the entire story. I'll take Mauro Ranallo screaming catchphrases all day long over commentators too thick to even understand the wrestling angle they're supposed to be explaining to us. 

10 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Sorry to drag up an old post, but they also did it on an impact months ago when Su Yung came back to defend Susie. 

The Su-niverse is fucking brilliant. Its the kind of thing WWE try to do and fail miserably. 

100% agreed. I said at Wrestlemania that the more I see The Fiend, the more I love Su Yung. The character feels consistent no matter how daft it gets, and she's genuinely scary in a way The Fiend gimmick never has been. She's also right near the top of the list of the nicest people I've ever met in wrestling, which helps.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

@BomberPat

That's really cool. The idea that one persona is scared and sorry about what the other is doing is a really nice touch, including being unable to look at what's happening. It's much more simple than any of the clips I've seen of the Bliss stuff, and it just hints at disturbing stuff. Plus the 'looking away' thing is nicely Blair Witch.

• Paid Members

I don't mind Striker on commentary really. He's not the best but I grew to genuinely detest Josh Matthews who managed to suck the energy out of the room for everything, so even Art Donovan would have been an upgrade.

That said, I'd be chuffed if Mauro Ranallo joined the broadcast booth full time or even just for the PPVs. He was great.

• Paid Members

Omega's apparently booked for the next Impact + special on May 15, Under Siege, which I think is being taped today or tomorrow. Clearly he's not dropping it.

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/kenny-omega-to-wrestle-at-impact-under-siege-new-photo-of-omega-with-his-belts/

Mauro Ranallo also suggested on his daily podcast that this won't be his last time working for Impact, and that he enjoyed being back in wrestling.

Edited by garynysmon

• Moderators

So when Omega drops it, who do we reckon it's to? Gotta be Trey Miguel or Moose for me, Clive. 

Personally I'd rather it was Moose as he's been brilliant the past year or so, but Omega vs Miguel could be a right match. 

• Paid Members

Moose is a star with a legit NFL background, no brainer for me. Wouldn't rule out that being used as a carrot to try and attract Samoa Joe back though.

I'm so chuffed that Trey Miguel is still with Impact. I didn't really like the Rascals' act but they've managed to keep the best one out of the trio, which is a massive win really.

Can see Miguel being Omega's cannon fodder for the May Impact+ show, which he'd clearly lose, but might still elevate him to a degree if booked right. We'll see.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

So, realistically, who do we think will turn up in Impact from that teased video? 

List of recently released from WWE:

• Andrade
  • Billie Kay
  • Peyton Royce
  • Mickie James
  • Chelsea Green
  • Tucker
  • Kalisto
  • Bo Dallas
  • Wesley Blake
  • Mojo Rawley
  • Steve Cutler
  • Lars Sullivan

I presume Chelsea Green is a dead cert, unsure on Joe. Wesley Blake and Steve Cutler could turn up, with the Deonna Purrazzo links. Would normally have said Mojo, but I believe there is some heat between him and Matt Cardona. I cant see too many of them turning up with Impact having a rather large roster currently.