Should WWE sign Samoa Joe?

Oliver

I watched the CM Punk: best in the world DVD today and was rather surprised to see the coverage they gave to ROH and the 3 hour long matches he had with Samoa Joe.

Having acknowledged this on a DVD, WWE could acknowledge this on their TV programming. Since Punk is currently bragging about his lengthy title reign, he could one day be bragging about how no one has accomplished a reign like he has in recent times only for Samoa Joe to make a shocking debut and confront Punk to remind him that he held the ROH title for 22 months and that Punk couldn't beat him for that belt. But, he'll beat CM Punk for his belt and end his reign before it reaches 22 months.

To me this would be a shocking move that would really get people talking. It would be a simple but very deep story with years of history. Its something I would love to see happen, but I don't think it will. When does Joe's contract with TNA end anyhow?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe had the chance to have the Umaga gimmick and turned it down. He's a fucking moron. And then someone better than him came in and did it better. than he could have. And that was when Joe was vaguely decent instead of a really fat one dimensional lazy pissant.

And your scenario makes it sound as if the RoH title is important? Nobody believes that anyway.

These days Joe is a TNA guy. He would have to spend a year in development to lose that rep because Vince can't be seen pushing someone he didnt make.

Hardly anyone just debuts in WWE these days without spending time in development, much less goes for the top title straight away.

WWE don't admit to copying other companys storylines so why would they go on the air and say RoH did this feud first but we are only behind by 8 years, aren't we cutting edge?

TNA have killed any name value Joe had. He's been a midcarder who lost a midcard title to a lifetime mid card wrestler just a couple of weeks ago. It would be insane for him to suddenly be a threat to tougher competition.

Most importantly, these days Joe is out of shape and can't be arsed putting effort in to his matches before.

With CM Punk being WWE champion for over a year now I doubt he'd be expected to give a fuck about how long Joe was ROH champion. Don't get me wrong, I loved Punk's run in ROH, and especially his feud with Joe, but he's moved far past that now.

WWE fans are used to seeing him feud with the likes of Ryback, Undertaker, Cena and guys like that. I don't think they'd buy some fat guy who had never competed within the promotion before being a legit threat.

I watched the CM Punk: best in the world DVD today and was rather surprised to see the coverage they gave to ROH and the 3 hour long matches he had with Samoa Joe.

Having acknowledged this on a DVD, WWE could acknowledge this on their TV programming. Since Punk is currently bragging about his lengthy title reign, he could one day be bragging about how no one has accomplished a reign like he has in recent times only for Samoa Joe to make a shocking debut and confront Punk to remind him that he held the ROH title for 22 months and that Punk couldn't beat him for that belt. But, he'll beat CM Punk for his belt and end his reign before it reaches 22 months.

To me this would be a shocking move that would really get people talking. It would be a simple but very deep story with years of history. Its something I would love to see happen, but I don't think it will. When does Joe's contract with TNA end anyhow?

Why the fuck would WWE do a World Championship storyline based on a ROH reign? Very few people give a shit, which is a stupid and low-level market to aim for.

Unlike a few people I could still see some value in WWE signing Samoa Joe, but he'd probably need a repackage. However the ROH title feud idea is stupid and would make zero sense. I used to think like you, once long ago, but eventually you have to realise that unless they are actually a fan of ROH, nobody really gives a fuck about it.

• Paid Members

If you ignore all the bollocks around ROH, which is so shit it pains me a little to make even this much of a commentary on it, do you think Joe would have the midset to really get going in WWE.

He turned down Umanga by all accounts and has fell well, well short of the hype around him at one time. Do you think he would be able to adjust to WWE and give the WWE fan what they want in the way CM Punk has? While I'm not a big fan of Punk he has taken the WWE polish and refining on board with gusto. I just don't see Joe doing that for a mid card role, which is where he would be at best I'd imagine, for some reason.

Last time I caught some TNA Joe looked so shit, fat but not in a menacing way, and was half heatedly strolling through the same old wank as ever.

Joe wouldn't have survived in WWE. To succeed in WWE you need to grin and bear it through the shit they feed you until you hit gold. Most WWE wrestlers can spend long periods of time doing nothing of interest or absolute shit unless you are a top guy. Joe has proven in TNA he can only be bothered when creative are behind him. The second he isn't being made to look like a star he phones it in, which just adds to his downward spiral and stops creative wanting to push him.

Only a select few are pushed in WWE the way Joe would need to be

Unless he hits top form and becomes the guy he arguably hasn't been in five years he's never going there, which is a shame. There are so many guys in TNA like Roode and Aries that could be huge in WWE but don't seem to be in demand and have hit their primes at an age that WWE may consider to old to sign them. (WWE weren't interested in AA anyway but you get my drift).

• Paid Members

Forgetting the whole story line thing i wouldn't mind seeing Joe in the WWE.

Yeah he has been woeful for long spells but there is a great wrestler in him somewhere maybe the WWE could be the place to get it out of him.

Archived