Should WWE sign Samoa Joe?

Oliver

I think that those saying he's too fat/flabby/jobbery-looking are being a bit harsh. Build-wise, he's a similar shape to Bray Wyatt/Husky Harris, and no-one seems to have a problem with his shape. It all comes don't to character and presentation; if they found the right look/gimmick for Joe he might do alright in the WWE mid-card. He's obviously fatter and less badass looking than he was in 2005, but my main gripe about his look isn't his overall shape, it's that he's never seemed to find a haircut or beard combo that doesn't make him look a tit. TNA haven't helped at times with his presentation, as "Dick On His Face, Binbag Pants" Joe was their idea of a make-over.

He's more than capable of good matches still, as shown by his recent matches with A Double, but he's been stuck in that circle of mostly not being bothered, because creative do nothing with him (because he can't be bothered).

He's also a bit of a victim of his own early (relative) success. He came into TNA hot, and had a great first year in the X Division, looking great and having good matches, but once he left the division he found himself having to adjust to working a more traditional Heavyweight wrestler style. He was a novelty in the X Division because of his size (and ability to keep up with the cruisers) but outside of that division he became just another TNA guy - during a period where they were able to make even big ex-WWE Stars look like nothing special within a few months.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think that those saying he's too fat/flabby/jobbery-looking are being a bit harsh. Build-wise, he's a similar shape to Bray Wyatt/Husky Harris, and no-one seems to have a problem with his shape.

Are we watching the same bloke? Bray Wyatt has lost a good 80 pounds in the last 18 months, on request of WWE Management. And even now he wears a t-shirt. If he was still as fat as he was when he debuted in Nexus, he wouldnt be on TV at all.

I think that those saying he's too fat/flabby/jobbery-looking are being a bit harsh. Build-wise, he's a similar shape to Bray Wyatt/Husky Harris, and no-one seems to have a problem with his shape.

Are we watching the same bloke? Bray Wyatt has lost a good 80 pounds in the last 18 months, on request of WWE Management. And even now he wears a t-shirt. If he was still as fat as he was when he debuted in Nexus, he wouldnt be on TV at all.
Well Husky was on TV for ages before he lost the weight, in the Nexus as you said, so it didn't put them off at one point did it. He was great on his season of the old NXT too and I don't remember anyone saying he was shit because he was a heavy bloke. Anyway, you didn't quote the next line where I said.."It all comes don't to character and presentation; if they found the right look/gimmick for Joe he might do alright in the WWE mid-card"Bray Wyatt is still flabby, so he wears a vest/shirt that also plays into his gimmick. That's exactly the type of thing I was talking about. I imagine that if Joe did work for WWE and they were about to push him, he wouldn't have any problem trimming up and getting his weight down, but that comes back to the motivation thing again.

• Paid Members

I think that those saying he's too fat/flabby/jobbery-looking are being a bit harsh. Build-wise, he's a similar shape to Bray Wyatt/Husky Harris, and no-one seems to have a problem with his shape. It all comes don't to character and presentation; if they found the right look/gimmick for Joe he might do alright in the WWE mid-card. He's obviously fatter and less badass looking than he was in 2005, but my main gripe about his look isn't his overall shape, it's that he's never seemed to find a haircut or beard combo that doesn't make him look a tit. TNA haven't helped at times with his presentation, as "Dick On His Face, Binbag Pants" Joe was their idea of a make-over...

Years ago I stood next to Joe and, you know, he's really not that tall. I don't recall exactly how tall he was but I'm six-twoish, in shoes, and I was quite a bit taller than him. If you're fat in the Brodus Clay/Mick Foley mold (i.e fucking huge every which way) then you can go to the WWE, be fat and play the monster. When you're a fat bloke who's five-ten then, well, it's much harder. Especially when you have all these six-foot plus guys on the roster already who don't come across as tall because they're surrounded by all these other six-foot plus dudes.

I think that those saying he's too fat/flabby/jobbery-looking are being a bit harsh. Build-wise, he's a similar shape to Bray Wyatt/Husky Harris, and no-one seems to have a problem with his shape. It all comes don't to character and presentation; if they found the right look/gimmick for Joe he might do alright in the WWE mid-card. He's obviously fatter and less badass looking than he was in 2005, but my main gripe about his look isn't his overall shape, it's that he's never seemed to find a haircut or beard combo that doesn't make him look a tit. TNA haven't helped at times with his presentation, as "Dick On His Face, Binbag Pants" Joe was their idea of a make-over...

Years ago I stood next to Joe and, you know, he's really not that tall. I don't recall exactly how tall he was but I'm six-twoish, in shoes, and I was quite a bit taller than him. If you're fat in the Brodus Clay/Mick Foley mold (i.e fucking huge every which way) then you can go to the WWE, be fat and play the monster. When you're a fat bloke who's five-ten then, well, it's much harder. Especially when you have all these six-foot plus guys on the roster already who don't come across as tall because they're surrounded by all these other six-foot plus dudes.
I completely agree, which is why I said Joe could possibly do "alright in the WWE mid-card". I'm not for a second saying he's main event, monster-heel material.Regarding Butch's point - Rhyno's WWE run was pretty much the best I'd hope for for Joe. A solid midcard type.

I doubt we will ever see the likes of Joe, AJ, Aries, Storm, Roode, etc (TNA guys who have never had WWE runs) go to WWE. With them it's kind of like Sting in WCW. They have good spots in TNA that they are not guaranteed to have in WWE and I imagine they make a good amount of money as well. These guys are in their 30's so it would be now or never for them to join WWE. I don't think their contracts are up any time soon and it would be too late for them to start over like they would have to in WWE.

I think people are being abit hard on Joe here

Granted,he had been shite ever since that daft face paint period but since he won the Tag Titles with Magnus i feel he has been revitalised

So much so that TNA bigwigs thought "lets put a singles Title on him"

Yeah ok its the TV title but after how he had preformed for the last few years they were never gonna trust him with the World Title,plus the roster is tons better than when was World Champ.

I quite like Joe wherehe stands right now.

As for being in WWE?

Well id love to see him in a match with Shemus and maybe One with Menry but other than that i dont think he would do too well down there.

Who knows though,i thought Punk and Bryan would flop in WWE

The problem with Joe is he is too big to be a technical wrestler and too small to be a WWE big man so how do they market him? Wrestling for an hour with CM Punk a few times way back is one thing but CM Punk came to WWE and improved and I cant imagine Joe doing the same. We also have to consider the fact that 90% of WWE fans niether know about his history with Punk or give two shits about it.

I wont rag on Joe or his abilities too much but I really dont see him as a fit for WWE.

Archived