Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Awards Moderator

The latest WrestleMe podcast about WrestleMania VIII features... zero wrestling! But is enjoyable as ever.

I'd always gone with the line that we didn't get Hogan v Flair because of poor house show matches, but they're right - it's never stopped them running a feud before. Far more likely that they had to keep Hogan out of the limelight and simultaneously not have him lose.

Podcast also features a guest appearance from UKFF's very own

• Paid Members

Was it that the house show matches weren't good, or that they weren't a draw?

I've always felt that Flair was a bad fit for a WWF heel against Hogan - while Flair is great at backing off from a bigger, more powerful babyface, and finding a way to eke out a win regardless, Hogan's strength was always in the "Hulk Up" comeback after taking a ton of offence. I'm not sure how viable Flair would have been as a Wrestlemania level opponent for him when Hogan's fans were accustomed to seeing him fight monsters and giants and whatnot.

• Paid Members

The first matches drew OK, but the rematches when they returned to venues drew disappointingly. There's also the issue that Vince had promised Sid the main event when he signed him the previous summer (just before Flair became available), though of course promises can be broken.

It worked out for the best as if they'd gone hard on Flair defending vs Hogan and then got to the point where Hogan was going to have to disappear to let the scandal heat die down, the finish might be tricky to sort out. Most likely you'd have had to do something like a Hogan DQ win after Perfect interfered and maybe even do the same deal with Warrior making the save.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Was it that the house show matches weren't good, or that they weren't a draw?

Sorry that was me oversimplifying. I said 'good' in place of not drawing.

Now six shows into my show “Tuck Of The Draw”, looking at the Scottish scene. 

So far have interviews with or covering 

Lewis Girvan

Chris Toal

Drew Galloway Tournament participants, and a follow up with Red Lightning who organised it

Aspen Faith 

and the history of PBW with its owner and UKFF member Kid Fite 

its based on the level of chat we all have on here, available on ITunes and most android sites as well. Any listens or feedback will be appreciated as I look to build and improve it . Cheers 

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/tuck-of-the-draw/id1374766478?mt=2 

SCG Radio is back as we return to the Monday Night War Timeline to talk August 1999! Covering every Raw, Nitro and PPV of the month, complete with notes from the Observer and Torch Newsletters of the time, we discuss every big story there is, including controversy around Steve Austin and the Summerslam main event, the awkward crowning of a new WWF Champion, WCW's dipping into the 2's for Nitro ratings, Bischoff pissing money away on KISS, Hulk Hogan returning to the red and yellow, the final (yet still awful) Road Wild PPV, Raven walking out on WCW, the WWF debut and fast demotion of Chris Jericho, Sid "Millenium Man" Vicious dominating Nitro, and all of the insane backstage politics, facts and figures you've come to know and love from the Timeline. Check it out and let us know what you think!

https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/download/fk4fvu/SCG_Radio_136_-_The_Monday_Night_War_in_August_1999.mp3

5 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

SCG Radio is back as we return to the Monday Night War Timeline to talk August 1999! Covering every Raw, Nitro and PPV of the month, complete with notes from the Observer and Torch Newsletters of the time, we discuss every big story there is, including controversy around Steve Austin and the Summerslam main event, the awkward crowning of a new WWF Champion, WCW's dipping into the 2's for Nitro ratings, Bischoff pissing money away on KISS, Hulk Hogan returning to the red and yellow, the final (yet still awful) Road Wild PPV, Raven walking out on WCW, the WWF debut and fast demotion of Chris Jericho, Sid "Millenium Man" Vicious dominating Nitro, and all of the insane backstage politics, facts and figures you've come to know and love from the Timeline. Check it out and let us know what you think!

https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/download/fk4fvu/SCG_Radio_136_-_The_Monday_Night_War_in_August_1999.mp3

About a 1/3rd in, great stuff as usual. I'm guessing if WWE did entertain Austin going heel later in 1999, then Foley would have been the other guy besides The Rock for him to work with. Mick was buddies with Steve, and Austin probably remembered how he did strong business with Foley right after WM14, how Foley was briefly in the running for the WM15 main event, plus Austin didn't have a problem putting Foley over pretty damn clean at SummerSlam 1999. It would've still been a terrible decision though, but I think you were all right to wonder if it'd have been worse than the 2001 Austin heel turn.

edit: I wonder about some of these reports of WCW contract numbers. Obviously they did some creative accounting tricks, but some numbers that came out later don't match up with what's in the sheets.

See: https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/wcw_contracts (payrolll numbers 1996-part of 2000 which came out in connection to the racial discrimination lawsuit)

Edited by brian_08

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

i am very much looking forward to listening to that podcast over the next few days. I enjoyed the worst turns episode, although the audio levels was a bit frustrating, one guy was very quiet in comparison to the rest, was that just a one off? 

Nah, that's every episode. I think it's Karl/Old Man Jones who you'll have found quieter? I normally have to turn the volume up by 4 or 6 points whenever he's speaking, and then quickly turn it back down again because Liam's usually twice as loud and clear as everyone else!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Nah, that's every episode. I think it's Karl/Old Man Jones who you'll have found quieter? I normally have to turn the volume up by 4 or 6 points whenever he's speaking, and then quickly turn it back down again because Liam's usually twice as loud and clear as everyone else!

Yeah I always find Jones to be on the quiet side and usually need to turn him up before the inevitable Liam laughter jolts me to turn it back down. 

Cracking show outside the audio issue. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Yes, Jones is usually the quietest of the core three for me as well recently. Maybe it helps that I usually listen with the volume boost option picked on Overcast and with earbuds, but I've found it tolerable.