The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

I have Al down as wasted potential, he was good and charismatic. Maybe if different decisions were made he could have been something better, but he became a joke character and got his mileage out that. But in terms of great matches/storylines- not that much for me.

I'd say it was only the joke character that gave Al the mileage he got. He was a strong hand and rarely had a bad match, but it's good that he can admit he wasn't good enough to be a huge star. Not everyone is cut out to be a main eventer. He entertained, but never really connected. When he was being mental in hardcore matches and bopping Head about, he was the most over he was ever going to get. Pretty much died on his arse once he started doing that blah Snowman shtick.

Snow has no idea what he talking about. He can't differentiate between the match and draws the crowd and the best match from a technical perspective. I'd call what he says the 'biggest draw' of the show

Of course he can. He's been wrestling for 20+ years and was quite good at it. His point is that good wrestling matches don't draw and its characters, feuds and storylines that do. Which is true. All of the peaks in wrestling were from angles and characters.

The wrestling in WWE right now is, on a regular basis, probably the best it's ever been. Yet there's so little interest because the storylines, booking and characters are shit.

The only objective of wrestling is to make money so I agree that Hogan Andre was the "best match" as that's what drew the money. It sucks in the ring of course. But it all comes down to where you sit on the consumer fence. Everyone has an opinion on what they think is important. I think making money is what's important. Some think dropping people on their heads is important. Or backflips.

Snow has no idea what he talking about. He can't differentiate between the match and draws the crowd and the best match from a technical perspective. I'd call what he says the 'biggest draw' of the show

No, you have no idea what you're talking about. Wrestling is all about drawing money so naturally the one that draws the most is the better match. Besides, 90,000 people paid to watch Hogan slam Andre and went home happy because they got what they paid to see. Hogan and Andre could of been the only match on the card that night and nobody would of given a shit because they got their monies worth in one moment.

As a side note, what is a 'technical perspective'? You are aware Pro Wrestling is fake and more like a film than a contest, aren't you?

Makes no sense to me. If everybody goes to see a film because Brad Pitt is in it, then some new actor in it that nobody knows ends up stealing the film, people don't come out of the cinema saying 'that Jimmy Bollock was great in it, but Brad Pitt was the better actor'. 

Wasn't Blurred Lines the best-selling song of last year? So following this line of thinking, Blurred Lines was the best song of all of 2013. 

• Paid Members

Why can't people differentiate between biggest draw & best match? They're clearly 2 different things. How is it a debate?

Does the best scene in a movie have to include the main character that people paid to see? No.

Does the best goal in a football game have to be scored by the biggest name star? Obviously no.

Does Fight of the Night on a UFC show always go to the main event? No.

This is no different. 

Why can't people differentiate between biggest draw & best match? They're clearly 2 different things. How is it a debate?

Does the best scene in a movie have to include the main character that people paid to see? No.

Does the best goal in a football game have to be scored by the biggest name star? Obviously no.

Does Fight of the Night on a UFC show always go to the main event? No.

This is no different. 

There is a difference in this case. What caused the bigger crowd reaction that night? The finish to Savage/Steamboat or Hogan slamming Andre? Wrestling is about eliciting reactions and emotions from people, its why Hogan has been the biggest draw ever and why 99% of wrestling fans have no idea who Johnny Saint is.

Saint may be an master of what he does but his fanbase pales in comparison in Hogans and even Shirley Crabtrees.

The better match is what gave the fans in attendance and fans watching at home what they wanted to see. How many do you think left that arena saying "Wow, Savage and Steamboat sure tore the house down!" compared to "Wow, Hogan slammed Andre!".

Do you not understand?

• Paid Members

I fully understand - but I fully disagree.

I'm also not saying that the biggest draw can't also be the best match; like Warrior & Hogan at WM6 (IMO) - but they are 2 different things. That match could have stunk, but still been what drew the crowd & PPV numbers.

Andre vs Hogan was a stinker of a match, but was indeed a spectacle - an iconic moment where they faced off and when he got slammed. It drew the crowd. But it wasn't the "best match". IMO.

If you thought Hogan vs Andre was the biggest draw AND the best match - then that's fine - that's your opinion. But they are 2 different things.

According to you, who had the "best match" at WM10? And WM13? And WM17? And WM25?

IMO it was HBK vs Razor, Bret vs Austin, TLC Match, HBK vs Undertaker. None of those were the main events though. Were they the main draws? Likely not for most part (WM13 had a stinker of a headliner). But they're 2 different things.

Edited by herbie747

I fully understand - but I fully disagree.

I'm also not saying that the biggest draw can't also be the best match; like Warrior & Hogan at WM6 (IMO) - but they are 2 different things. That match could have stunk, but still been what drew the crowd & PPV numbers.

Andre vs Hogan was a stinker of a match, but was indeed a spectacle - an iconic moment where they faced off and when he got slammed. It drew the crowd. But it wasn't the "best match". IMO.

If you thought Hogan vs Andre was the biggest draw AND the best match - then that's fine - that's your opinion. But they are 2 different things.

According to you, who had the "best match" at WM10? And WM13? And WM17? And WM25?

IMO it was HBK vs Razor, Bret vs Austin, TLC Match, HBK vs Undertaker. None of those were the main events though. Were they the main draws? Likely not for most part (WM13 had a stinker of a headliner). But they're 2 different things.

You're missing my point and missing the point of what a draw is, a draw is the worker/match that everyone is paying to see. The best of the situation is said worker/match giving everyone paying to be there what they want to see. Wrestlemania 3 is the biggest drawing wrestling show of all time and everyone that was there left feeling like they got their monies worth. That would of happened if Savage and Steamboat hadn't of even been there.