The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

Very odd stance to take considering who he is.  He's basically saying he never had the best match of the night his entire career (which may be true from both ends of the specrum to be fair).

In the same interview, he says that he fucked up his career by not realising it sooner. By his own admission, he worked for movez and snowflakes and never reached his potential by focusing on trying to draw money. Essentially, that whole routine is him warning young wrestlers not to aspire to Savage vs Steamboat rather than Hogan vs Andre, because that will only get you so far. He's got a point as well, like. We need more Rybacks and less Dolph Zigglers.

Edited by King Pitcos

I fully understand - but I fully disagree.

I'm also not saying that the biggest draw can't also be the best match; like Warrior & Hogan at WM6 (IMO) - but they are 2 different things. That match could have stunk, but still been what drew the crowd & PPV numbers.

Andre vs Hogan was a stinker of a match, but was indeed a spectacle - an iconic moment where they faced off and when he got slammed. It drew the crowd. But it wasn't the "best match". IMO.

If you thought Hogan vs Andre was the biggest draw AND the best match - then that's fine - that's your opinion. But they are 2 different things.

According to you, who had the "best match" at WM10? And WM13? And WM17? And WM25?

IMO it was HBK vs Razor, Bret vs Austin, TLC Match, HBK vs Undertaker. None of those were the main events though. Were they the main draws? Likely not for most part (WM13 had a stinker of a headliner). But they're 2 different things.

You're missing my point and missing the point of what a draw is, a draw is the worker/match that everyone is paying to see. The best of the situation is said worker/match giving everyone paying to be there what they want to see. Wrestlemania 3 is the biggest drawing wrestling show of all time and everyone that was there left feeling like they got their monies worth. That would of happened if Savage and Steamboat hadn't of even been there.

I thought Summerslam '92 had a bigger attendance? and Mania 3 isn't the biggest drawing PPV ever so what's that based on?

• Paid Members

I fully understand - but I fully disagree.

I'm also not saying that the biggest draw can't also be the best match; like Warrior & Hogan at WM6 (IMO) - but they are 2 different things. That match could have stunk, but still been what drew the crowd & PPV numbers.

Andre vs Hogan was a stinker of a match, but was indeed a spectacle - an iconic moment where they faced off and when he got slammed. It drew the crowd. But it wasn't the "best match". IMO.

If you thought Hogan vs Andre was the biggest draw AND the best match - then that's fine - that's your opinion. But they are 2 different things.

According to you, who had the "best match" at WM10? And WM13? And WM17? And WM25?

IMO it was HBK vs Razor, Bret vs Austin, TLC Match, HBK vs Undertaker. None of those were the main events though. Were they the main draws? Likely not for most part (WM13 had a stinker of a headliner). But they're 2 different things.

You're missing my point and missing the point of what a draw is, a draw is the worker/match that everyone is paying to see. The best of the situation is said worker/match giving everyone paying to be there what they want to see. Wrestlemania 3 is the biggest drawing wrestling show of all time and everyone that was there left feeling like they got their monies worth. That would of happened if Savage and Steamboat hadn't of even been there.

Not missing your point at all. If you felt "everyone that was there (WM3) left feeling like they got their monies worth" and YOU personally feel it was the best match from the event - that's fine - then it was the best match in your opinion & theirs. And the biggest draw too - so it was both; great. As I said - the same match on a card can definitely be both biggest draw & best match.

But your premise is based on the assumption that the biggest drawing match always gives the people what they paid to see - and that is not always the case - far from it. WCW failed because of that very notion. People paid to see disappointing main events and never came back.

What if Hogan vs Andre drew that crowd (which they did), but then Hogan tripped on the way to the ring on a banana skin - they both laughed when facing off and killed all heat - he never bothered slamming him - they did a lame screwjob finish where Mean-Gene kicked Hogan in the bum and he collapsed and Andre won, then Andre danced in the ring & started jiggling his tits in his hands, and Hogan puked in the corner after losing and then pissed his pants & started crying - by your flawed logic, that was still the best match, right? Because it was what sold the tickets.

Edited by herbie747

Claiming anything is "the best" is almost always subjective. It totally depends on who's saying it and what their personal needs/expectations are...

From a business point of view, I'd agree with PITCOS, the match that sells the most tickets for the next show (or spikes a big rating, or whatever) is the best, because as a promoter you want to make money.

For a fan or a critic it's a totally different question. It comes down to how entertained you were - it's as simple as that! You may have been entertained because there was a year-long build-up and a fantastic pay-off, or you might have been entertained because it was two stellar wrestlers pulling out all the stops and exceeding all expectations. If you don't personally profit in any way from the wrestling company you watch, how much money a match made or whether it spikes a rating shouldn't make the blindest bit of difference to your level of enjoyment.

From a business point of view, I'd agree with PITCOS, the match that sells the most tickets for the next show (or spikes a big rating, or whatever) is the best, because as a promoter you want to make money.

As a wrestler, you want to make money as well. That rant's designed to motivate wrestlers he trains, though Al will shout the same stuff at anyone with a camera and a few hundred quid. I'm not sure which interview it's taken from, but I think it's the guest booker one? So in that one, he is coming very much from a business perspective (and then using bad, irrelevant 70s territorial shit in the booking part anyway). He might have very different answers if asked which matches he personally enjoyed, but he'd probably still have that moody face on him and constantly act like the interviewer's done something wrong.

'Best match' is a shit use of language, I understand and agree 100% with Al's logic, but the word 'best match' belongs to the context of - What match did you as a fan enjoy the most - not Al's context; which match is drawing the most money to the forthcoming event?

You've read 'best' as 'favourite' there.