Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

When was the last time someone stole their opponents finisher and won? Obviously Shawn Michaels won with the sharpshooter in Montreal but I am sure it happened regularly during the Attitude era. I think it could be a great gimmick for someone (maybe Kevin Owens) who beats their opponents with their opponents finisher to embarrass and piss them off.

• Paid Members

Didn't The Rock sort of do that to Chris Benoit with the Sharpshooter? I remember reading about Kanyon and the Kanyon Kutter too, but that was about him stealing DDP's entire gimmick, no?

• Paid Members

When was the last time someone stole their opponents finisher and won? Obviously Shawn Michaels won with the sharpshooter in Montreal but I am sure it happened regularly during the Attitude era. I think it could be a great gimmick for someone (maybe Kevin Owens) who beats their opponents with their opponents finisher to embarrass and piss them off.

The first that comes instantly to mind is Jericho pinning Rock after a Rock Bottom at Vengence 2001. Not including feuds where both used the same finish e.g. RVD vs Eddie, Paul London vs Billy Kidman etc.

Didn't The Rock sort of do that to Chris Benoit with the Sharpshooter?

Rock was using the Sharpshooter in his matches before Benoit started using it, so it doesn't count as stealing his finisher.

Edited by air_raid

The first that comes instantly to mind is Jericho pinning Rock after a Rock Bottom at Vengence 2001. Not including feuds where both used the same finish e.g. RVD vs Eddie, Paul London vs Billy Kidman etc.

Didn't The Rock sort of do that to Chris Benoit with the Sharpshooter?

Rock was using the Sharpshooter in his matches before Benoit started using it, so it doesn't count as stealing his finisher.

Rock did use the crossface on Benoit at least once, though. Don't think he ever beat him with it, mind.

I feel like this must have happened more recently than 2001. It feels like a fairly common wrestling trope. I'm coming up blank trying to think of an example though. Triple H came close when he Tombstoned Undertaker in the cell.

• Paid Members

Rock did use the crossface on Benoit at least once, though. Don't think he ever beat him with it, mind.

They made us think he had at the false finish of their match at Fully Loaded 2000 where Earl called for the bell to make you think Rocky had illicited a submission with the Crossface but actually he was disqualifying The Rock - until Commissioner Foley overruled it and the match continued.

It's not pinning him with his own finish, but Rollins I suppose obtained victory over Orton in that cage match after hitting him with the RKO.

Say what you want about the music they chose, but I miss having themes that were synonymous with the PPV. "Always" by Saliva for Survivor Series 2002, "Suffocate" by Cold for Unforgiven 2003 and, more specifically, the lush Steiner vs. Test hype video. WrestleMania from X-Seven to XIX. 28's were pretty synonymous too. "Bodies" by Drowning Pool for SummerSlam 2001.

Now, I haven't got a scooby what the theme is and that can even extend to WrestleManias like 30 which I was at!