Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

has Tyson Kidd been seen since his November "return"?

He was used a couple of times on main event and superstars throughout december. not seen him in 2014 yet though

He made an appearance on stage at the New Year's Raw, standing with the Bellas, because Natalya was too busy wrestling Aksana in Toronto that night.

The Raw Recap video of Old School Raw from last weeks Smackdown was one of the best I've seen WWE do. The way they combined Road Dogg's promo using bits form years back and last week was frigging awesome! Can't find the link on Youtube :(

Try WWE's Youtube channel, should be on the Smackdown section

It's only through hindsight I can say this, but they really should've had him use the Rack as his finish, not the running elbow. The Rack showed off his strength as his "superhero" aspect. The running elbow looked vicious, but I don't think it looked particularly big time or spectacular.

The running elbow suited him well enough as a heel with the bionic elbow daftness but he really should have reverted back to The Rack when he went face, though thinking back I think Ludvig Borga was using the move throughout 1993 so that may have been the reason Luger didn't use it.

• Paid Members
If anyone is looking for a cracking little podcast, here's one. Allan Blackstock's podcast has started off very well with a great interview with Greg Lambert and the second one has the UKFF's own PowerButchi and John Lister waxing lyrical about the UK scene past and present. Check it out.

http://wrestlingeye.libsyn.com/wrestling-e...arv-gaz-maybury

Includes the line "he could sleep with my mother and I'd cheer him on" from our Butch.

Following on from listening to this show, I'm amazed that the WWF's popularity fell off a cliff on a national level in the UK at almost the exact same time in 1993. I think it would have been between King of the Ring and Summerslam when pretty much everyone in my primary school (we were aged 8-9) stopped watching. I was the only sad git who was still watching and actually cried when Yokozuna beat Tatanka on WWF Superstars. I honestly thought it was just a phoenomenon in my school though. Only one of my mates would covertely talk wrestling with me into 1994, but was scared anyone else would find out.

• Paid Members
Yes, Condrey was in the the original Midnight's with Randy Rose in the early 80s. Bobby Eaton and Cornette would join him later in Mid South. He had a stint in WCW but he left in 87 and Cornette and Eaton were joined by Lane and took Midnights name. Him and Rose were brought back a couple of years later by Heyman as the 'Original Midnight Express' to feud with the newly babyface Cornette version. I don't think there's ever been a weirder sight than babyface Jim Cornette and it's a credit to that slimy cunt Paul Heyman for making it work. The Heyman/Cornette match at Great American Bash 89 is a bunch of fun and Cornette throws a mean right.

Why did the Rose & Condrey Vs Eaton & Lane match they had planned in 89 become Rose & Jack cunting Victory Vs Eaton & Lane?

It's a side, but I've seen that match loads of times but can't recall why it ended up as it did.

I stopped watching religiously in '93.

It was mainly because I was coming up to last year of school so tried to grow out of it (should I be up the park getting stoned on rocky black and drinking 20/20 or at home waiting for Wrestling Challenge?) but also because my buzz was killed by 'mania that year.

Wrestlemania IX was sooo shit... crap matches from top to bottom, a small time feel in that venue, and finished with boring Hulk Hogan coming back and playing superhero. In an era where we were sold PPVs for months in advance that show just took the fucking piss.

And it seemed like loads of people had left with no information on TV as to why. WWF Superstars had gone complete jobber, rarely got mains with Brawler any more (we were told to watch this new show called Raw from this point forwards but fuck knows how we could watch it).

This new guy with a deep southern accent started doing commentary and sounded funny too... it was good when Bret was champ but that was over too so "fuck this" was a pertinent point in '93.

It was a turmulous time for sure.

• Paid Members

All the stars left and the Gladiators took all the fan base who liked steroided men in singlets. The fad was over when all the stars left. The reason people were watching was because of the stars. And Bulldog, Warrior, Hogan, Sid, Jake Roberts, Flair, Boss Man and the LOD left within the space of 6-9 months. And Savage stopped wrestling. Even as a 8 year old, I still watched but it was glaringly obvious it wasn't as good as it used to be. As silly as it sounds, I'd put Earthquake showing up at WrestleMania X on par with Lesnar coming back when I was a kid. I was badging people for weeks about it. It was like "finally someone who isn't shite has popped up".

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Aye, can't argue with any of that. I've said this before on the board, but I was so gutted to get Sky in early 1993 when all the proper stars started to leave. By the end of the year, shows were being taped in high school gyms with the Quebecers and Ludvig Borga in the midcard. I know a lot of people hate Hulk but Bret Hart was never going to cut it after him and Macho left. I just wonder why such a large shift. I know business was falling off a cliff in the USA and cuts had to be made, but was business ever going to be any good with that roster?

My memory of all that time is when Hogan started doing all the kids shows over here in his WCW bandana. At school on Monday, because I was the wrestling kid, everybody was asking where to watch WCW or 'if WWF had stopped now' etc as a result. Especially when that lot got wind the Nasties, Boss Man, Duggan etc were down there. To be honest, as a WWF guy I was really glad to be shot of a lot of those types, but it showed the legitimate sense in Bischoffs hiring policy at the time for the company, even if the booking ranged between iffy and shite.

Shawn Michaels and Diesel were the ones to fool me into thinking happy days were here again in 94/95. I was extremely loyal to Bret as a hardworking champion who shouldn't have to put up with all the shit he was getting off Owen and others, but Diesel was fucking really tall and dead hard so he was going to have them all buying the sticker albums at school again. And Shawn was clearly the most brilliant wrestler since sliced bread, as good at the moves as he was at the flying and he wins Rumbles from the start! Wasn't to be though. It wasn't even Steve Austin round my neck of the woods either. Definitely Rock and Foley, then Austin. I got my Austin 3:16 shirt out the merchandise catalogue in 97 and nobody knew what it was or that it was wrestling until years after it wasn't being worn on telly. And Austin didn't have a pocketful of cheese or a garden full of trees, or his face on owt in Waterstones, or a prominent spot on those first few episodes of Heat on T4 that people suddenly were asking me about.

• Paid Members

1996 was the year WWF magazine stopped coming into our local shop. With no WWF magazine near us and when Argos stopped selling the figures, it was almost like there was no WWF anymore. Especially when the Sky got cut off. Amazing looking back, considering what was about to explode for the next few years. Early 96 was pretty much looking like wrestling was on its last legs. WWF had just brought back Roddy Piper and the Ultimate Warrior around the same time Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage were battling a bunch of pork scatchings in that triple decker cage of doom abortion. No Stone Cold or nWo. Raw and Nitro are pretty unbearable if you watch it from the first few months of 96.

I think what seperates 96 to 2014 is that there were far more wrestling fans in 1996 than now. They may not have been watching, but there was an undercurrent ready to jump back on if their imagination was captured. I dont think that's the case in 2014. Daniel Bryan would be a much bigger star if he'd have been around in 1996/97 if he'd have gotten over to the level he did. The Shield would have been 50 times more huge than they are as well. I think there's a glass ceiling for everyone from the top to the bottom of the business these days.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I think it's the case of the old saying that you only make someone a Superstar by having them beat other Superstars.

Bret had it hard in 1992 and 1993 because of guys like Hogan, Sid, Savage and Flair leaving. If he'd had been put over by some of those guys on major PPV events maybe he'd have been seen as a bigger deal? Not to knock their actual talent, but beating guys like Owen Hart, Bam Bam, Razor and IC Champ-level Shawn Michaels is hardly a list of megastar victories. Had he beaten Flair and Savage in (surely epic) PPV matches it would have done wonders for his stock.

Austin was put over huge by Hart with a feud that did both the world of good, then cleanly beat Michaels at Mania, beat the Taker at Summerslam, beat the Rock at Mania. Decisive victories on the biggest stages against genuine top level mainstays. Rock had similar treatment, beating all the Attitude Era's top stars like Austin,Taker, HHH, Foley etc...

Cena and Batista were pretty much the last to enjoy such a wide pool of top level talent to beat. They had guys like Michaels, HHH, Taker and Big Show to put them over on the big stage, with a strong second tier level with the likes of Jericho, JBL, Flair and Benoit. Over the last 5 or 6 years it's pretty much just been Cena, the semi-regular Triple H and the few times a year Undertaker that are seen on that true, top tier level. Beating Alberto Del Rio or Christian for a "World Title" means fuck all, regardless of whether you feel they are talented or not. You have to beat top guys in important matches on big PPVs to become a big deal I think. Punk is probably the closest they've got to getting another name on that list and that took a year long title reign and matches with Cena, Lesnar, the Taker and the Rock.

Considering how it panned out (lots of shitty PPV finishes and title-being-held-up shenanigans) I really wish they'd have let Bryan keep the belt for a couple of months after he beat Cena at Summerslam. All the focus shifted straight to the evil Triple H & Orton plan and Bryan's big, clean win over Cena was a complete afterthought. Cena and Bryan both played a blinder that night and it was pretty much all for nothing.

Edited by Dirty Eddie

Read somewhere that WWE might start to induct matches into the Hall of Fame:

Partial Source: Pwinsider.com

WWE is considering inducting a match into the 2014 class of the WWE Hall of Fame in April, which would be the first time they’ve ever done this. The idea being pitched is for Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Paul Orndorff and Mr. T to be inducted, as all four were involved in the main event for the first WrestleMania. It’s also possible that Jimmy Snuka and Bob Orton Jr will be inducted as they were also a part of the match. If this happens, it will enable other matches to be inducted in the future.

Mr. T has turned down offers from the WWE in the past, but they are once again negotiating with him to make the idea happen.

If this happens, it would make Hogan, Piper, Orndorff, Orton and Snuka two-time Hall of Famers. The only two-time Hall of Famer currently is Ric Flair, who went in as an individual and as part of the Four Horsemen.

Really like the idea and hope it goes ahead. Give it a few years and it'll make an awesome DVD box set / WWE Network Special.

Edit: Just realised I've absently mindedly put a news item in here. Sorry about that! Feel free to delete.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne