Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Celtic Park isn't that far from the city centre. It's 10/15 minutes on a straight road from Trongate with loads of buses. Also, it's Celtic Park! It must be the easiest place in Glasgow to find directions for. Having once been to a gig in an industrial estate in Newcastle miles away from any meaningful bus/train station, it's really not the worst.

Celtic Park isn't that far from the city centre. It's 10/15 minutes on a straight road from Trongate with loads of buses. Also, it's Celtic Park! It must be the easiest place in Glasgow to find directions for. Having once been to a gig in an industrial estate in Newcastle miles away from any meaningful bus/train station, it's really not the worst.

I appreciate what you're saying - I'm just of the opinion that most folk would probably feel more comfortable and enjoy the night more if they were in the city centre, as history seems to show these meet and greet type events can drag on (I'm sure I read the JR signing in Glasgow went on until near Midnight).

Wrestlemania 27 Main Event.

I was watching The Miz vs Cena match from 27 and was thinking that the main event would've made more sense to me as a Four way with Miz © vs Cena vs Orton vs Punk, Miz was riding high late 2010 early 11 but maybe wasnt Wrestlemania main event ready so a four way would've helped him.

The four of them had been mixing it up for months leading up to it, Cena vs Punk/Nexus, Miz cashed in on and won the title from Orton etc, some stuff would still work leading up to it and The Rock and Cena stuff would wouldnt leave Miz as the third wheel with nothing to do.

Nothing else had to change still the same finish and it saves two fresh feuds (Miz vs Cena & Orton vs Punk) for the next few PPV's

• Paid Members

Four way main events scream B-level PPV. Cena vs. Punk vs. Miz vs. Orton sounds dull right now. Main eventing WrestleMania would have been far less appealing. Anyway, Miz's role was to be the third wheel. He was never going to match up, with or without the Rock there. And once Rock came on board, everything was swept off the board and Miz was just there to prop up the real stars.

Thing is, if the Rock wasn't on that show, there's not a chance Cena and Miz were closing that thing. Undertaker and Triple H would have. Cena hadn't closed the show for a good few years until the Miz match. If Rock wasn't there, he'd have beaten the Miz in the 3rd from top bout.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Didn't they still do those matches at the following PPV? I'm pretty sure Miz/Cena went on for a couple of months after 'Mania.

Anyway, at this point nobody ever wanted to see Cena/Orton in the same ring (pretty sure this was the year the pair did that Rock/Hogan face off thing at the Rumble to almost no reaction) and Punk was a chump. No matter the people they threw in there they would have been over shadowed by the charisma and interest in Cena/Rock.

The PPV did quite well just the way it was, though. WWE tried with The Miz as well, but he was only ever "must see" when Jerry Lawler was carrying him for a couple of months.

Remember when Todd Gordon was supposed to be a mole in the ECW locker room? When he got the sack, about 1997. Was that all b.s? He was meant to be working for Terry Taylor, or so I read. Sounded like a bit of a stunt to me though.

• Paid Members

From Turning The Tables:

However, the departure of Saturn was even more controversial. Shortly after he signed, speculation began running rampant that a 'mole' was trying to betray ECW and take a group of wrestlers to WCW. It's not clear who floated the story (WCW to damage the company, or ECW to cast themselves as the wronged party), but within a few days Joey Styles was talking about the issue on the ECW hotline and promising to name the mole on his next update. But a day before that update, the name got out... it was Tod Gordon.

According to Gordon, he was planning to leave the company to spend more time with his family. At a show in Trenton on 23 August (the week after Hardcore Heaven), he was talking to Sabu, Van Dam, Alfonso, Saturn and Sandman, all of whom were disgruntled with the direction of the company. (By this point, there was underlying tension between this group of wrestlers and those allied with Heyman, such as Taz, Tommy Dreamer and the Dudleys). Gordon approached WCW on their behalf to offer a package deal by which the group would sign (other accounts add New Jack and The Pitbulls to the list) and 'invade' the company. Gordon would not accompany the group, but would receive a healthy payoff for setting the deal up.

Terry Taylor began discussing the deal, with the hold-up being that WCW did not necessarily want everyone involved (Sabu's past WCW run, New Jack's reputation, and the potential bad publicity from the Pitbulls, who had recently been dropped by ECW after being charged with drug trafficking, were all potential problems) and preferred to negotiate individually, no doubt looking to get each man for as little as possible. It's widely believed that Kevin Sullivan leaked news of the negotiations to Heyman, who immediately began asking questions and looking to sign more wrestlers to contracts. Eventually the negotiations broke down and only Saturn, who was confronted directly by Heyman, made the jump. Meanwhile Alfonso was apparently the only person to directly lie about the talks and was close to being fired but, so the story goes, saved his job with his bloody performance in a match with Beulah McGillicutty at the next Arena show.

Whether Gordon was fired or quit is open to debate, though he claims Heyman suggested turning the incident into an angle, but Gordon was no longer willing to work shows outside of Philadelphia. Either way, Gordon was going and, probably because a public slanging match would do neither man any good, Heyman went on TV and announced he had accepted Gordon's resignation to concentrate on his family and business. The idea that it was a firing is backed by Gabe Sapolsky, who worked in the ECW office above the Carver W Reed store (at one point assisted by Richards under the false name 'Lloyd Van Buren'), being told by Heyman to clear out his belongings, a couple of days before Gordon's departure. The ECW office phoneline was transferred to Sapolsky's apartment, with a physical office eventually being set up in the New York warehouse that stored the company's merchandise and being staffed during the day by Little Guido. Dreamer took on many of the day-to-day business roles, while Bubba Ray Dudley (now spelt that way) took charge of booking arenas.

• Paid Members
That wolfpac tours had 2 of the venues announced:

Celtic park (kerrydale suite) november 19th 2013 7:30pm start time

People coming from outside of Glasgow on public transport might have a bit of squeaky bum syndrome worrying about getting to the bus station or train station to get home after the show.

Bridgeton Train Station is about a ten minute straight walk down the road from it. You can get trains to Glasgow Central from there.

• Paid Members
Regardless of the ease of public transport to Celtic Park...it's still in one of the country's most desolate hellholes. It's one thing cutting about there when theres a match on and thousands of people about, another on a random night where a few wrestling fans are about.

Near a big police station (London Road) too. Keep close to that, don't take a wander in the maze like "schemes" at 11pm, and you'll be reasonably OK. I can honestly say I've never had any problem along that way at night.

Area has definately got a lot better since they built that Emirates Arena next to it. Place has got a lot busier. If it was about 10 years ago, I'd 100% agree with you.

Such a strange place to hold this though. Really strange.

ADDED: Forgot that Dalmarnock Train Station has reopened now. Probably a bit closer to Celtic Park than Bridgeton Station is.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

The wolfpack London venue is the Cornonet Theatre, which is a nice location. I will probably go ahead and book tickets for this now, although I still would of liked a few more details about how the meet and greet will work etc.

As soon as I heard about this event I e-mailed the promoter to obtain clarification on whether the meet and greet will include a picture and autograph(s), and if so how many, but still not received a reply.

I'm sure this will all go well on the night (or I hope this is the case) but the promoter doesn't have the best organisation/communication skills.

ADDED: Forgot that Dalmarnock Train Station has reopened now. Probably a bit closer to Celtic Park than Bridgeton Station is.

Half of it is, anyway. Still partly under construction :/ But it is the best option. There's only a few minutes difference but Dalmarnock is a more direct route and you can see it from Dalmarnock station which might help some who are still unsure.

The wolfpack London venue is the Cornonet Theatre, which is a nice location. I will probably go ahead and book tickets for this now, although I still would of liked a few more details about how the meet and greet will work etc.

As soon as I heard about this event I e-mailed the promoter to obtain clarification on whether the meet and greet will include a picture and autograph(s), and if so how many, but still not received a reply.

I'm sure this will all go well on the night (or I hope this is the case) but the promoter doesn't have the best organisation/communication skills.

That's exactly what I did too. I had a reply yesterday saying you can have 2 autographs from each and a photo included in the price. 8X10's will also be on sale on the night.

That's exactly what I did too. I had a reply yesterday saying you can have 2 autographs from each and a photo included in the price. 8X10's will also be on sale on the night.

Did the promoter clarify if they are providing a photographer?