Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

As much as I love early 90s WCW, and in particular the Paul E/Dangerous Alliance period in 1992, Bobby Heenan is the #1 wrestling manager for me. Heyman is great as the sleazeball and I'm also a big fan of Paul Bearer's late 90s heel run as well, but The Brain was next level in my opinion. He really made it seem like it was life or death for him to have his guys win. Like a proper manager would, he'd be frantic when his guys who he's invested money in are looking like losing. He was fantastic for really making it seem important. And he was great when he had to bump around as well. Brilliant talker as well obviously, whether he was making wise cracks or going ballistic that his man got beat.

His calling of the Rumble '92 makes it the best ever but he weren't a manager there. But fuck it, why not bring it up eh!

He kinda was though. That's what makes his role in that match so incredible, its one of the finest pieces of colour ever and one of the greatest manager acts ever.

• Paid Members

Just watching the Best of MSG DVD set, and I noticed Bob Backlund's robe and towel combination for his match with Diesel in late 94 for the title looked awfully familiar, and very similar to Damien Sandow's robe.

After a bit of digging I managed to find a picture (and I presume given this was from an episode of Raw he was wearing this regularly, it must have escaped my memory). I'm sure this has probably been pointed out before, but it's a really nice little touch if this is in homage to Mr Backlund.

hqdefault.jpg

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but is just a cool little thing I'd not noticed before.

Just watching the Best of MSG DVD set, and I noticed Bob Backlund's robe and towel combination for his match with Diesel in late 94 for the title looked awfully familiar, and very similar to Damien Sandow's robe.

After a bit of digging I managed to find a picture (and I presume given this was from an episode of Raw he was wearing this regularly, it must have escaped my memory). I'm sure this has probably been pointed out before, but it's a really nice little touch if this is in homage to Mr Backlund.

hqdefault.jpg

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but is just a cool little thing I'd not noticed before.

Great find. Never really made the comparision before but with the gown and long words they use theres definately got to be some link. Backlund was a strange one for me, i loved the nutty charachter but he bored me senseless in the ring. That Ss94 match seemed to go on for days. And pre barmy bob he was feckin shit on his return. Ruined the rumble 93 for me. At least his awfullness spurred the fans to start chanting for razor at mania 9.

hqdefault.jpg

Great find. Never really made the comparision before but with the gown and long words they use theres definately got to be some link. Backlund was a strange one for me, i loved the nutty charachter but he bored me senseless in the ring. That Ss94 match seemed to go on for days. And pre barmy bob he was feckin shit on his return. Ruined the rumble 93 for me. At least his awfullness spurred the fans to start chanting for razor at mania 9.

As a 9 year old watching him in 93 I remember being struck by how rubbish he was and also wondered if he had a learning difficulty of some description.

• Paid Members
After a bit of digging I managed to find a picture (and I presume given this was from an episode of Raw he was wearing this regularly, it must have escaped my memory).

Well, you're right and wrong. It's not from an episode of Raw, it's from Survivor Series (CLICK).

But Backlund was wearing the attire regularly. Well, he was at least wearing it for a month as he sported it in the Luger match, taped 31st October.

• Paid Members

Trivia note from a thread at Wrestling Classics. As far as anyone can tell, the furthest south pro wrestling show ever was in Invercargill, New Zealand while the furthest north was in Andenes, Norway and included former Hulk Who? subscriber and Sabu-DBK attendee Erik Isaaksen.