Jump to content

Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Let's face it, "Brawl 4 All" was the WWF's version of "Battle of the Tough Guys~!~!" from Hogan's film "No Holds Barred".

 

Did we even get a "worked" Bart vs Steve Williams match? It was just sitting right there and they didn't even do it.

 

Luckily he went to All-Japan and had a decent enough stint as "Mike Barton".

Edited by bAzTNM#1
  • Paid Members
Posted
I've been watching the Brawl 4 All tournament from 98. Bart Gunn is the baddest man on the planet. The tournament went from people chanting "boring" to the fans chanting "Bart, Bart, Bart" during the fight with the Godfather. Bart was huge at the time as well. He was about 6'4" and jacked. He was in the best shape of his career. He wasn't much on the microphone, but he carried himself well during that tournament. Like a star even. They dropped the ball with him I think. He could have been a decent uppercard wrestler. Put a manager with him, and he'd have faired well. He was knocking people out for fun. Its mental to look at even now. Dr. Death, Godfather and Bradshaw all tasted the floor, and Bob Holly probably would have had they not been pals.

 

I agree 100%. I'd love to have seen him managed by the return of slick in a don king style gimmick (Bart gonna be knocking you out baby) and endorsed by the likes of dollar man. Obviously teds contract lied elsewhere, but the scenario of a manager/promoter with a financial backer doing the talking and Bart being presented as an evil drago fighter would have been great

Posted (edited)
Imagine if they did that tournemant today? I doubt they would be able to even fill it with guys who look like they could handle themselves

 

The current roster seem to be more into MMA training though, whereas the guys in 1998 just thought they were hard because they'd watched Haku pull someone's eye out in a Wetherspoons. The Brawl 4 All was a terrible idea all round. If they did it now, the wrestler who got a lucky shot in on Glass-Everything Lesnar would be a made man.

Edited by King Pitcos
  • Paid Members
Posted

Who would be considered the legitimate tough guys of the current WWE roster? Aside from Lesnar. Swagger has a good amateur wrestling background doesn't he? And I read that Ziggler was a very good amateur and was on the same wrestling team as current UFC lightweight Gray Maynard. Del Rio fought MMA with very mixed results. Who else?

 

It's definitely changed, as Pitcos said, you've got a different kind of guy getting into wrestling these days, different type of training. The 80s hard cases like Rude, Haku and Orndorff are my favourites though.

  • Paid Members
Posted

The Barbarian was my favourite. I still remember Butch's review of a squash match he had with Bagwell on here and it's still one of my favourite ever posts on here, I've been trying to track down the match ever since!

  • Paid Members
Posted

I remember that post. I've seen the match before as well., it was a joy to behold. I seem to recall a particularly nasty chokeslam which lands the future Buff directly on his bonce.

 

Barbarian was terrifying to me as a kid. Especially in his painted face/mohawk look.

  • Paid Members
Posted
The Barbarian was my favourite. I still remember Butch's review of a squash match he had with Bagwell on here and it's still one of my favourite ever posts on here, I've been trying to track down the match ever since!

 

Post is here. Match has sadly been taken off Youtube.

 

Barbarian was great fun in 1992. His squashes during that period were some of my favourite ever. I know I've mentioned it before, but him destroying Marcus Alexander Bagwell is one of the best squashes I've ever seen. Easily top 3 anyway. Here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX4VoOR0czk

 

I don't think Barbarian was ever too much of a lug, he was always decent value. best Big Boot ever as well. Also, Bill Watts worked his arse off as regards pushing Tag Team Wrestling as something really really important, and meant the superb Rhodes and Windham tag team went pretty much full time, and the Miracle Violence Connection generally being awesome.

 

Also, Brad Armstrong got gold.

Posted

Speaking of those two guys, I picked up the old XWF shows the other day - Barbarian shows up as a random, nameless security guard at one point. Seemed very odd, considering other guys of the era like Valentine, Piper and Jannetty were all over the shows as talent. Completely forgot that Johnny B. Badd worked the tapings as well. A guilty pleasure of mine, I've got to say. The guy is effectively blackballed now, right? Shame.

Posted

They should do two brawl for alls, one with guys from the 80s and one with guys from the 90s, the winners get a contract.

  • Paid Members
Posted
The Barbarian was my favourite. I still remember Butch's review of a squash match he had with Bagwell on here and it's still one of my favourite ever posts on here, I've been trying to track down the match ever since!

 

Post is here. Match has sadly been taken off Youtube.

 

I hadn't seen that post, it was this one I remembered:-

 

http://ukff.com/index.php?s=&showtopic...t&p=1966549

 

Especially this bit:-

 

THE BARBARIAN IS BACK! He's in his Powers of Pain look, and his first opponent is the one and only
  • Moderators
Posted
Clearly what the current roster need to look hard is more tattoos.

Not only is this against the rules it was really shit.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...