Jerry Lawler suffers a heart attack

dopper

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Late 98 to 2001 was when it became 'cool'. I remember when I knew wrestling was cool when a group of lads at the end of term brought in a taped copy of the Rock Bottom PPV for us to watch, instead of Cool Runnings. I made a cunt of myself by telling them my favourite wrestler was Sting, saying you were into WCW made people think there was something wrong with you (they may have a point).

Channel 4 picked it up in early 2000 if I recall right.

No. They signed the deal in 1999 because WWF was so popular over here. The first show was in January 2000. WWF was so big over here at one point they were topping the VHS, t-shirt and Calendar charts simultaneously regular in HMV. They were massive over here.

Yeah, I remember all that. I guess it did not matter if it was in the papers that much, it was fucking everywhere. you could not breathe for seeing Rock merchandise in HMV.

No. They signed the deal in 1999 because WWF was so popular over here. The first show was in January 2000. WWF was so big over here at one point they were topping the VHS, t-shirt and Calendar charts simultaneously regular in HMV. They were massive over here.

Yeah it was defo in 1999 as royal rumble 2000 was on channel 4 I think and wasn't Armageddon on in December 99 the one were the Kat got her tits out?

Yeah it was defo in 1999 as royal rumble 2000 was on channel 4 I think and wasn't Armageddon on in December 99 the one were the Kat got her tits out?

Mae Young's puppies and Jerry The Perv Lawler freaking the fuck out.

I liked Jerry's lecherous middle aged man act.

Jim Ross says on his blog:

I'm not sure what caused Jerry's heart attack but it could have been genetic, Jerry's Dad died of a heart attack at a young age

which goes back to what I said previously about the inevitability of a heart attack occuring at some point if your genetics show a predisposition towards heart issues, regardless of lifestyle. Genetics play a huge part in things, which is probably why Jake Roberts and Ozzy Osbourne are still alive and Amy Winehouse isn't.

Regarding medical screening, unless doctors pierce the main vein in your leg, inject you with dye and hook you up to monitors to see how your blood is flowing through your arteries, they will never pick this kind of thing up. They will look at pulse rate, blood pressure etc.

A quick point that Ian brought up though, he has got a lot of attention due to this and he would get a lot of dues if he came back, but was he not more well known during the filming of Man On The Moon when there were big articles about him in The Sun for him putting Jim Carrey in Hospital (it was a work I know) Would he not have more eyes on him from the mainstream then or am I mistaken? I know despite that attention Man On The Moon did not do as well as other Carrey, as much as I like it.

If that was the case, the WWF had the top two biggest TV shows on cable when Lawler did that. In 2012, its all about exploiting publicity to get more eyes on the characters and the show. And the WWE's had a lot of eyes on it from this situation. It could be argued that the reason Lawler was given so much publicity from Carrey and the Man on the Moon makers was because WWF's TV was so over at the time and the mainstream audience were all over it.

I did a search on the BBC site to see if they were carrying this story, they aren't, but back in the day they apparently fell for the Carey stunt as well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/178325.stm

Course, back then the BBC News web team was probably a bloke who spent mornings on the website, and his afternoons on Ceefax...

• Paid Members
I did a search on the BBC site to see if they were carrying this story, they aren't, but back in the day they apparently fell for the Carey stunt as well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/178325.stm

Course, back then the BBC News web team was probably a bloke who spent mornings on the website, and his afternoons on Ceefax...

That's absolutely tremendous. Great find.

• Paid Members
Regarding medical screening, unless doctors pierce the main vein in your leg, inject you with dye and hook you up to monitors to see how your blood is flowing through your arteries, they will never pick this kind of thing up. They will look at pulse rate, blood pressure etc.

My dad had this two days ago (angiogram), mainly because he's been having very visible problems with his heart (bad turns, problems breathing, etc.) - they wouldn't have done it otherwise.

From Cole's twitter

#wweuniverse you will never believe this! I just got off the phone with #jerrylawler and he is alert and in great spirits!

#jerrylawler sends his love to you all and thanks you for all the support! He says the strap will be coming down soon!

Folks #jerrylawler is going to win this!

LATEST JERRY LAWLER MEDICAL UPDATES

by Mike Johnson @ 5:23 PM on 9/12/2012

Jerry Lawler is completely off sedation and is now breathing on his own without the help of any breathing tube.

Lawler is still very weak and has been asked to rest his body and not speak to allow his body to recuperate and adapt after everything he's been through.

Lawler has been given breathing exercises to help his lungs after several days of being on ventilation.

Lawler's girlfriend posted on her Facebook account, "I know everyone wants to speak to him and hear him...just know that he is doing great now and when the time comes for him to call and talk he will..I promise! Also, the rumor statutes that he was brain dead or had brain damage is completely FALSE. His CT scan of his brain came back NORMAL & he is just fine! Thanks again everyone for your love, support, and powerful prayers!! I will be bringing the King back home before you know it! "

Archived