Jerry Lawler suffers a heart attack

dopper

Stacy Carterā€ confirms it on twitter

Ā 

The rumors are true. I just got confirmation that @jerrylawler test results are in & he has NO brain damage. This is wonderful news!!!!!

Ā 

Now that we know he's prob gonna be alright again (if his body pulls through), would you put him back behind the desk? Will Vince?

Ā 

I think this is the end of his television career. Vince can't have this happen again and with him possibly being on TV 3 hours a week, I would have to say that its certain that we have seen the last of Lawler.

Ā 

Retire! Play golf! please?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

On the contrary, Jerry Lawler has never had more viability and more eyes on him in the mainstream. He'll be back behind the desk and everyone will go "how brave!" They will definitely put Lawler back on TV in some capacity at some point. They need to exploit this publicity somehow. One knock to Bret Hart's head and he could have had another major stroke in front of millions of people. Still didn't stop them wheeling him out in PPV matches.

• Paid Members
would you put him back behind the desk?

Unless the tests come back to say he needs to be housebound or avoid travelling, then absolutely.

Ā 

Whether I'd put him back in the ring? Not so sure. Depends on what the doctors say.

Ā 

That said, I never thought Regal would be back in the ring after his heart problems, but he's done fine.

This thread has been truly fascinating to sit and spectate all the opinion and chat over the incident. Is it perhaps our cynical nature as smarks to believe that everything that happens on screen is a creation of the entertainment we watch each and every week? Are we so conditioned into the knowing that wrestling is just a show and everything that goes on is planned that we can't stop to have some doubt in the back of our minds when a man has a heart attack that it could in fact actually be real?

This thread has been truly fascinating to sit and spectate all the opinion and chat over the incident. Is it perhaps our cynical nature as smarks to believe that everything that happens on screen is a creation of the entertainment we watch each and every week? Are we so conditioned into the knowing that wrestling is just a show and everything that goes on is planned that we can't stop to have some doubt in the back of our minds when a man has a heart attack that it could in fact actually be real?

It's real, end of.

Ā 

Some people have been critical of Bret, which I don't understand. He's just a performer, not the man in charge. His job is to what he's told- perform. And he did that well imo.

• Paid Members
Stacy Carterā€ confirms it on twitter

Ā 

The rumors are true. I just got confirmation that @jerrylawler test results are in & he has NO brain damage. This is wonderful news!!!!!

Ā 

Now that we know he's prob gonna be alright again (if his body pulls through), would you put him back behind the desk? Will Vince?

It all comes down to what the Doctors say, if they say there's no reason why he can't go back behind the desk then certainly that's what I'd do and I think the same from Vince. Likewise if (and we're stretching it here) the Doctor's said he could wrestle again then I'd allow that too because I'd go for "The Wrestler" angle with it and play off the real story. However in my mind that story only works if Lawler picks up the win and I'm not so sure Vince would put Lawler over Punk.

Ā 

What are you going on about? No one has had a problem seeing this as real other than one complete bell end!

Good to hear about the encouraging news.

Ā 

A quick point that Ian brought up though, he has got a lot of attention due to this and he would get a lot of dues if he came back, but was he not more well known during the filming of Man On The Moon when there were big articles about him in The Sun for him putting Jim Carrey in Hospital (it was a work I know) Would he not have more eyes on him from the mainstream then or am I mistaken? I know despite that attention Man On The Moon did not do as well as other Carrey, as much as I like it.

Ā 

One thing I will say about King that I always liked was that he did not make things too complicated in the ring or out. His offense was basic but looked good and he knew how to get reaction from the crowd, and as a heel he knew how to play a real smarmy bastard but keep it entertaining. Non-fans who used to watch it with me when I was very young found him the best thing about it due to his witty sense of humor as well, he used to be a fucking good commentator back in the day. Not sure how good he is these days as I have not watched RAW in over a year, but I have heard he is still fantastic at promos with Punk.

• Paid Members
A quick point that Ian brought up though, he has got a lot of attention due to this and he would get a lot of dues if he came back, but was he not more well known during the filming of Man On The Moon when there were big articles about him in The Sun for him putting Jim Carrey in Hospital (it was a work I know) Would he not have more eyes on him from the mainstream then or am I mistaken? I know despite that attention Man On The Moon did not do as well as other Carrey, as much as I like it.

If that was the case, the WWF had the top two biggest TV shows on cable when Lawler did that. In 2012, its all about exploiting publicity to get more eyes on the characters and the show. And the WWE's had a lot of eyes on it from this situation. It could be argued that the reason Lawler was given so much publicity from Carrey and the Man on the Moon makers was because WWF's TV was so over at the time and the mainstream audience were all over it.

If that was the case, the WWF had the top two biggest TV shows on cable when Lawler did that. In 2012, its all about exploiting publicity to get more eyes on the characters and the show. And the WWE's had a lot of eyes on it from this situation. It could be argued that the reason Lawler was given so much publicity from Carrey and the Man on the Moon makers was because WWF's TV was so over at the time and the mainstream audience were all over it.

Good point, but did the media over here cover WWF that much in 1999?

Ā 

I know it was popular, but there are only a handful of times that I saw it mentioned in a big article in a national paper over here. In America it would be a different ball game as you said WWE was red-hot on cable back then, so it would have worked in a reverse way at least there like you said.

Ā 

It is two entirely different situations I will admit and no doubt WWE has a lot of attention over this unfortunate incident, I watched the footage of yesterday of what happened and that is the first time I have watched WWE tv in a long while.

• Paid Members

WWE was huge over here around 1999, I can't really speak for the media as I didn't follow the news much at the time, but wasn't this around the period Channel 4 picked up WWE programming?

WWE was huge over here around 1999, I can't really speak for the media as I didn't follow the news much at the time, but wasn't this around the period Channel 4 picked up WWE programming?

Channel 4 picked it up in early 2000 if I recall right. It was very popular in that period, but I am talking about how much media attention it got in 1999 as the debate is about Lawler and the amount of mainstream eyeballs were on him. Wrestling has always been a weird one with media coverage.

Ā 

I remember hearing about Owen Hart dying on News24 in the early hours of the morning. But that's about it.

• Paid Members
Channel 4 picked it up in early 2000 if I recall right.

No. They signed the deal in 1999 because WWF was so popular over here. The first show was in January 2000. WWF was so big over here at one point they were topping the VHS, t-shirt and Calendar charts simultaneously regular in HMV. They were massive over here.

Archived