Jerry Lawler suffers a heart attack

dopper

And odd that people praise Michael Cole for his "real" handling of the situation. Yet many of them have slagged Cole and Lawler and JR for going into "real" mode for angles since Owen Hart's death.

That's completely different.

Cole often gets critisized for the way he puts across angles, sometimes changing his tone & style to insinuate something is really serious and not part of the show.

He is not being praised in this & the Raw topic for doing that better than usual.

He is being praised because while his mate was conceivably dying (firstly right next to him and then backstage), he didn't fall to pieces and managed to calmly do his job.

Yeah the way he was squeezing his hands together and urging him to fight was hard to watch. Which is also why I think the lines being fed stuff is almost certainly bollocks.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
And odd that people praise Michael Cole for his "real" handling of the situation. Yet many of them have slagged Cole and Lawler and JR for going into "real" mode for angles since Owen Hart's death.

Cole often gets critisized for the way he puts across angles, sometimes changing his tone & style to insinuate something is really serious and not part of the show.

He is not being praised in this & the Raw topic for doing that better than usual.

He is being praised because while his mate was conceivably dying (firstly right next to him and then backstage), he didn't fall to pieces and managed to calmly do his job.

It's just a shame that it doesn't mean as much because he's done it before (and will again) to get over an angle. As much of an idiot "TheKingofKings" is, there'll have been people all over who thought it was part of the show because he uses this "real" voice for angles. Shame that.

I didn't watch the show live, iv never watched Raw live I always catch up on key moments the next day and from what I watched in bits on youtube, I thought it was totally justified the way the WWE acted following what happened with Jerry. I don't care about storylines or whatever. I think it was totally justified for the show to continue, the WWE is bigger than just one person, perhaps even Vince McMahon and as the old saying goes, the show must go on, I'm sure Lawler would have wanted it that way. When a mans life is in the balance, everything else comes second, in my opinion it was right to carry on with the show but as far as Cole getting serious of course it was needed, fans at home deserved an explanation, some fans at home who have been watching for years and followed the career of Lawler deserved to know as like me they care about not just Jerry the King Lawler but Jerry Lawler himself.

What do people think of the way Charles Robinson acted during what was happening at ringside?

What do people think of the way Charles Robinson acted during what was happening at ringside?

I think Charles Robinson and everyone else involved in the angle reacted in a very believable way. I'm not surprised the average fan is buying into it as well as TMZ as well as the rest of the tabloid press but colour me appalled that the die-hards of UKFF and the rest of the IWC are being fooled by this hook, line and sinker.

They have routine health checks at almost every show nowadays. There is no way Lawler would be allowed to wrestle if he had a heart condition.

It's just a shame that it doesn't mean as much because he's done it before (and will again) to get over an angle.

Utter bollocks.

Are you saying an actor crying when their family member died or similar "doesn't mean as much" if they've cried for acting roles?

I highly doubt it.

Cole et al do their fucking jobs, and no amount of 'real voice' in their acting is to the detriment of a genuine situation. If people can't separate it then they're fucking idiots.

I think Charles Robinson and everyone else involved in the angle reacted in a very believable way. I'm not surprised the average fan is buying into it as well as TMZ as well as the rest of the tabloid press but colour me appalled that the die-hards of UKFF and the rest of the IWC are being fooled by this hook, line and sinker.

They have routine health checks at almost every show nowadays. There is no way Lawler would be allowed to wrestle if he had a heart condition.

If they were going to fake a Jerry heart attack and I don't think for one second that Vince wouldn't approve such a story line, they would have done it last week after his beat down by CM Punk to position Punk as the man who nearly murdered a legend.

Having him keel over at the announce desk during a mid card tag match while they desperately tried to keep the cameras from showing what went on serves no purpose apart from to make a semi retired 61 year old announcer the most over man in the company.

Why would they do that? It's not like he's going to do Hogan and appear suddenly and batter CM Punk.

• Paid Members
Without wishing to appear to support New Jack's views, if he's always hated Lawler and thought he was a racist prick, he shouldn't pretend to like him now just because he's had a heart attack. He should just not say anything at all of course, but that's not his style.

This is right. No need for massive hypocrisy. Find it odd reading that people hope they hear Lawler commentate again soon when most of those people have been saying he could give it up for years. And odd that people praise Michael Cole for his "real" handling of the situation. Yet many of them have slagged Cole and Lawler and JR for going into "real" mode for angles since Owen Hart's death.

Hope Lawler recovers. He's a shit commentator these days but I don't wish ill health on him.

Truth is Lawler's commentary has been below par for a long time, actually most commentary has lacked something for me since they abandoned the heel colour and the face play be play. Heel Lawler alongside JR was for me, only bettered by Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura, certainly no shame in that. But inspite of his lack luster efforts I can't think of anyone I'd rather listen to than Lawler. I certainly don't like Cole and Matthews and Striker just seem bland to me.

I had the feeling Cole was left all alone. He even started calling MOVES! BY THEIR NAME!!

For some reason I have trouble believing Vince would let Cole say the word 'Suplex'. That really sounds pity for a wrestling fed.

I would think it likely if you look at how the show panned out that Vince was with Lawler more often than not, returning to his position when required to give instructions to Cole.

If you feed this troll, then you are just as big an idiot as he is. Just ignore the stupid cunt.

Back on the topic in hand, which isn't New Jack by the way, I am left wondering if WWE might implement a policy now about guys (and girls) over a certain age no longer performing for them after this.

I hope not, I enjoy seeing the older guys come back and some of them still put on good performances, but they certainly need to ensure they are fit to compete.

So who the fuck are you to be so above everything the rest of us are stupid for falling for what is QUITE CLEARLY a real situation? I can't believe you're actually comparing this to Vince's limo exploding, that although it was very well done and had me straight on the internet, it was quite clearly an angle. WWE made sure it was clearly an angle as they have shareholders to keep happy.

It's just a shame that it doesn't mean as much because he's done it before (and will again) to get over an angle.

Utter bollocks.

Are you saying an actor crying when their family member died or similar "doesn't mean as much" if they've cried for acting roles?

I highly doubt it.

Cole et al do their fucking jobs, and no amount of 'real voice' in their acting is to the detriment of a genuine situation. If people can't separate it then they're fucking idiots.

Oh I will bet you that there quite alot of people still thinking it was an angle due only to the fact that it happend at a wrestlingshow. The people on this forum are smart enough to see that this was handeld differently then an angle. But i'm sure people that are not into wrestling will think it was done to make some money. Even proffesional journalists or some moms and dads, people don't want to get fooled so they'll punch holes the stories. Those people view Cole as an actor anyway and can't begin to see the difference between wrestling 'real' and real 'real'.

• Paid Members

It's not been confirmed he had a heart condition, or even speculated anywhere significant. It was just a theory presented on here.

Here's another theory. Remember when Angle collapsed after his match at WrestleMania XIX? He went into shock as his body couldn't cope with the sudden drop off in adrenalin.

Could something similar have happened to Lawler, seeing as he was very active during the match, and then had to go sit down without the opportunity to cool down properly.

Also, one of the reasons for cooling down after an athletic activity is to prevent blood pooling, so in going straight back to the desk he would have suffered from a drop in blood pressure.

It's not been confirmed he had a heart condition, or even speculated anywhere significant. It was just a theory presented on here.

Here's another theory. Remember when Angle collapsed after his match at WrestleMania XIX? He went into shock as his body couldn't cope with the sudden drop off in adrenalin.

Could something similar have happened to Lawler, seeing as he was very active during the match, and then had to go sit down without the opportunity to cool down properly.

Also, one of the reasons for cooling down after an athletic activity is to prevent blood pooling, so in going straight back to the desk he would have suffered from a drop in blood pressure.

I raised that somewhere else actually but wasn't sure if it'd have an effect.

Im hoping Jerry pulls though. I always liked him more when he would rip the piss out of people not what he does with Vickie these days. When he normally wrestles doesnt he go backstage im sure when he has had matches there is always someone else in the booth. Also that guy that says its a storyline is mental and so is everyone thats commented on the youtube video saying its fake.

• Paid Members

Shittest analogy ever. Well done.

People have been unable to separate what is real and what is acting in wrestling for decades. Everyone who watches will have been a "fucking idiot" at some point and some still are. It's a shame not everyone can be as clever as you.

Archived