Jerry Lawler suffers a heart attack

dopper

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't Jerry one of the few tee-totallers they have?

Hope he pulls through, don't really want to get into 'what if he went without too little blood going to his brain?, and such. Echo what was said about how it could have been some indie date this happened at. I still find it fascinating that he does Raw each week to millions worldwide and then those smaller shows in Memphis the rest of the time.

Not to sound like a remembrance post but I heard him say recently in an interview that he doesn't get much out of commentating now or something to that effect. Some big life decisions to come when he's on his feet I think.

EDIT: viewing this on my phone so didn't see its been mentioned that he doesn't drink.

• Moderators

Yes, which has been mentioned several times through this thread.

Anyway, some news from a TV station I'd associate with Lawler more any other. WMC-TV

Jerry "The King" Lawler will have heart surgery Tuesday after suffering a heart attack during an WWE event Monday night.

http://www.wmctv.com/story/19507908/jerry-...om-heart-attack

Really shitty news, and even more so if it means Jerry has to give up wrestling. In some respects his career is having an Indian summer and I was sort of hoping he'd get a proper title shot, or some great match at WM or something. I guess now he needs to think about what else he can do - road agent?

Yes, which has been mentioned several times through this thread.

Anyway, some news from a TV station I'd associate with Lawler more any other. WMC-TV

Jerry "The King" Lawler will have heart surgery Tuesday after suffering a heart attack during an WWE event Monday night.

http://www.wmctv.com/story/19507908/jerry-...om-heart-attack

That in itself is a positive sign. The fact that they're waiting until today to carry out surgery, as opposed to doing it immediately, would indicate to me that things may not be as urgent as we first thought. If it was a literal life or death situation, they would have operated on him immediately last night. I probably haven't explained myself as well as I'd like, but I hope what I've written makes a bit of sense.

• Moderators
Really shitty news, and even more so if it means Jerry has to give up wrestling. In some respects his career is having an Indian summer and I was sort of hoping he'd get a proper title shot, or some great match at WM or something. I guess now he needs to think about what else he can do - road agent?

He'd be on the road all week doing that in a really stressful job, can't see his doctor advising that one. If he doesn't return to the booth he'll probably just turn up whenever they're in Memphis to do a "King's Court" or wave to the fans or whatever.

• Paid Members

A road agent has it worse than a commentator does. Lawler would have to work backstage all day and attend meetings during the week. Where as commentating, he just shows up and goes home. But, Lawler is one of the tightest wrestlers ever, by all accounts. He still lives in the same house he's lived in for about 30 years. I remember him saying when he walked out in 2001 he was set for a few lifetimes, so he doesn't need the WWE anymore and hasn't for years. He's said recently he doesn't even like commentating and doesn't watch any wrestling on TV. Which is evident how he hasn't been motivated for years and how he doesn't know any of the Smackdown wrestlers or their current angles when he commentates on PPVs.

WWE has a load of web and backstage content. If they want to keep him active in the WWE fans minds, they could shoot all sorts like they do with Road Dogg. Have Lawler present their DVDs or something.

Well if he said in an interview that he doesn't get much out of commentating anymore as another poster wrote above and he won't be able to wrestle anymore then I can't see him doing much more in wrestling other than either being a road agent as you said or maybe just packing in WWE and concentrating on Memphis and working in a backstage role there, or possibly he could become a manager for a certain wrestler, something in a role where he wouldn't need to get involved in the action too much. I can't see him packing in wrestling all together though but if he does it is obviously his decision and I don't blame him for regarding his health more than his involvement in wrestling.

Also I am with you on his Indian summer, I've always been a fan of Lawler and his ladder match last year with Miz for the title, I was pretty sure Miz was retaining but a part of me really hoped Jerry would get a short run with it and I really wanted him to win the big one at some stage, but sadly it doesn't look like he will be able to even wrestle anymore now. Muamba is a young guy and he had to give up football and although a wrestling match can be short and is a lot shorter than football matches he is a 62 year old man and I seriously doubt Vince or anyone with their head screwed on would want Jerry risking his health by going back into the ring after having something as serious as a heart attack. Sad news but at the end of the day anyone's health is more important than a one off or a few short wrestling matches. I would be shocked if he does much wrestling again, nevermind goes back to how he was before this.

• Paid Members

I didn't watch the show but after I saw the news on here this morning I listened to the latest Torch live cast and Keller was saying that during the match Dolph (I think he said?) dropped an elbow right over Lawler's chest. I'm not saying that caused it, in fact Keller said it seemed perfectly fine until you watched it back given what happened after, but maybe something to consider.

Always liked Lawler, hope he pulls through.

• Paid Members
Why does he do it then? Surely it would make more sense to work locally in Memphis a few days a week than do something you're not bothered about and have to travel around America all year.

He must be on a decent screw.

He's on a six figure income for doing something he can do with no effort. If you are on WWE TV you can command a far higher price on the indy circuit and at autograph signings. And more outside opportunities come your way if you are working for WWE. Also he might enjoy working with his mates every Monday. There's a thousand reasons why he does it. Its a sweet gig.

Also he's sued them (and won) and walked out on them before. Lawler doesn't give a fuck. They cater to him because he's got the balls to tell them to fuck off. Must be nice to have that power.

Not that I'd expect them to have an occasional authority figure again but Lawler as a president, or whatever, who occasionally shows up and makes announcements wouldn't be bad. And he'd be good at the role on either side of the fence.

They cater to him because he's got the balls to tell them to fuck off.

I've always had the notion that Vince probably loves him. You can tell that there's a few guys who Vince absolutely adores. It wouldn't surprise me if that's partly out of respect for Lawler standing up to him.

Archived