The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Its the ease of access that i think will harm them. Eleven has posted today that they are trying to get on Sky/BT boxes but just to run as a stand alone app through android is gonna take some getting used too. For the people that really wanna see it, they'll make it work but for people who series link the UFC on BT and casually watch whatever is recorded i think they'll just lose touch with it.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I just can't be fucked with streams and apps for live sports. It's proper shit. I know it's the accepted thing that this is the future and it's progress and this and that but for me it's a step backwards. As it stands I get all my UFC in HD with the convenience of being able to just Sky+ it if I'm not going to be able to catch it live. Then I can watch it whenever. That's all I want from my UFC viewing. What more can an app do for me that? Convenience. That's the important word here. I'm happy to pay to watch UFC, that's not the issue. For the longest time I was paying for BT Sport solely for the UFC coverage, until they also started showing Boxing giving me a bit more bang for my buck. I'm sure this Eleven bollocks will be reasonably priced. That's not the problem for me. It's that it's most likely going to be more effort for an inferior service. Will we have to be sat in front of the stream while it's live? What if for some reason we can't stay up until 6 o'bastardclock, do we have to wait days until it's up on the app to view? Then there's the quality. I just find streaming less reliable. Very rarely have there been major technical issues with quality on BT. I can't remember anything off the top of my head that lessened my enjoyment watching on BT. But with streaming quality can vary big time. And who the fuck even are Eleven for us to have any faith in? If I'm going to have to start watching UFC on a laggy, glitchy, unreliable stream like I used to have to do a decade ago to watch Strikeforce and DREAM and FEG New Years cards, then fuck am I paying for the privelege. 

People can say 'give it a chance' all they want and I get that, but I really can't see how they can give us a better service than we've already got currently. 

I was really hoping Sky got it. Even though it no doubt would've cost a bit more I'd be willing to pay that cost in exchange for quality and convenience. I'll wait and see what people are saying after a few events on there but hope they do get an actual TV channel sorted. Surely they will. It seems mental to me, if they want to continue to grow the fanbase, to stick it all on an app. Maybe I'm way off base but it just seems like it's going to be harder to draw new fans in that way. 

• Paid Members

Pretty much my take on it. As it stands I'll set the box to record events & watch them on a Sunday. If I've got to fuck about casting an app to my TV etc etc then I might as well just use a dodgy stream. I only have BT Sport currently for UFC so it's not the cost, it's the HD & the convenience.

• Paid Members

Better in the long run, IMO. I don't really want to see Jones vs DC 3 anyway if I'm being honest. The story has been told already. I didn't like the outcome but it's done for me as a rivalry. Only way it could've warranted a third fight for me would've been at heavyweight. At 205, it's over. 

Jones vs Gus 2 is where it's at for me at 205. That rematch was supposed to happen in 2014, the first fight was genuinely a Top 5 fight in UFC history for me and it's been so long now that it feels like a completely fresh fight. 

Anyway, the thing I take from Ariel there isn't what he says, it's what he doesn't say. I thought DC was supposed to be fighting Brock, and that they were tentatively targeting January? So why were they trying to book DC vs Jones for late December? Is the Brock thing off, pushed back or what? If possible then, out of the names being chucked around, I'd like to see Jones vs Gus 2, Cormier vs Lesnar and reschedule that Romero vs Costa fight. Fuck DC vs Jones 3 at 205. No need to see that again. 

FYI, in terms of Eleven Sports. If they have instant on-demand and you don’t stay up live for events, you should be delighted.

live streaming for sports can be unreliable because of internet connection speed or stability of connection or traffic on the feed. 

But if you primarily watch OD it’s fine, because it becomes like Netflix/YouTube and content can be cached in advance.

I watch all events the next morning, so if you can chromecast and they have instant OD I’ll be delighted if im still around for it.

• Paid Members

The on demand thing is the big seller for me. I watch very few events live due to the time difference. BT's online on demand service can be ropey though, sometimes its a little slow going up and the main site is spoiler-mania.

that post reeks of someone who still can't handle the fact that the one guy who has his number is a dude who's not even really been focused on fighting. Imagine what a fully-focused, on point Jon Jones could accomplish in this sport? Christ.

So after all that the main event of UFC 230 is....

Valentina Shevchenko Vs Sijara Eubanks for the Vacant Flyweight womens title.

Fuck knows why Joanna has been dropped it was supposed to be her and Valentina in the co main at UFC 231, maybe she’s injured.

Archived