The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

They must have something sorted by now surely.

Going by what Rogan was saying on their last PPV, I assume they've had it in their back pocket for a while now. I agree that it's well bizarre not to announce it sooner (although is MSG sold out?), but they maybe feel it makes the most sense to announce it when they will have all this press for 229. It's surely something massive, seeing as they're going this way with it. I'm starting to think GSP, for some reason.

Be funny if they've actually got nowt, though.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

GSP or Jones are literally the only ones I can think of. Anything else now is going to feel like a bit of a letdown. By them not telling us it's just raising our expectations. If they make us wait all this time and then go 'We have an announcement. The main event for UFC 230...live on PPV...Saturday November 3rd...Madison Square Garden...New York City...the title will be on the line...without any further ado...your UFC 230 main event...live on PPV...is...TJ Dillashaw vs Raphael Assuncao 3!!! it'll go down like a knob joke at a wake. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Cain isnt the kind of draw that would headline MSG. The fights on there are already bigger than a return fight of his at this point.

Yeah this for sure. 

To us lot Cain's return is a big deal. But you have to remember that a big chunk of the current UFC fanbase probably came on board post-McGregor. To them Cain's just the guy who Rogan talks about all the time but he never fights. He's only fought what twice since McGregor got huge? Once a loss to Werdum, then a year out, then bashed up Mr Rousey at UFC 200, and two more years out.

At this point Cain needs reintroducing to the wider UFC PPV buying audience. Ideally I'd like to see his eventual return as co-main on a big PPV. Maybe a McGregor fight or even better, have Cain's return co-headline under DC vs Brock in January. If it happens. And if Cain's good to go. Lot of ifs. But that's the best way to bring him back IMO.

Picture a January PPV featuring a Cormier vs Lesnar main and say a Cain vs Overeem co-main. Or whoever. Then if Cain smashes them, on what should be one of the biggest PPVs in company history, he's instantly back in the mix and on the casuals radar again, 

Gusty has said today that the UFC have not reached out to him for a fight with Jones. 

Could it have been that Rogan was referencing GSP vs Covington? Or a similar bout that has since fallen through? I guess we could indeed find out what is what during UFC 229 fight week. At the moment, I am going to speculate that the fight they had planned fell through, and they are scrambling to find a replacement. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Gusty has said today that the UFC have not reached out to him for a fight with Jones. 

Could it have been that Rogan was referencing GSP vs Covington? Or a similar bout that has since fallen through? I guess we could indeed find out what is what during UFC 229 fight week. At the moment, I am going to speculate that the fight they had planned fell through, and they are scrambling to find a replacement. 

Why is DC / Jones 3 off the list? DC seemed to be grinning like he just won a lifetime supply of fried chicken when Rogan was doing the tease.

3 hours ago, Chunk said:

Why is DC / Jones 3 off the list? DC seemed to be grinning like he just won a lifetime supply of fried chicken when Rogan was doing the tease.

I noticed that. But Dana is now saying that Jones isn't headlining the MSG bill.

Which means:

A) Dana is lying and Jones will headline (possible)

B) They had planned to make Jones vs DC 3, but it fell through (seems unlikely given that Jones is now available)

C) D.C's grinning was just a coincidence (most likely)

• Paid Members

So, waking up this morning to this odd story, that Nate Diaz and Dustin Poirier have tweeted overnight that their upcoming fight will be for a brand new 165lb title, only for Dana and other UFC officials to have shot it down completely.  To be honest, the tweet from Diaz reads like a wind up, but you never know from him, but what a bizarre situation to have two fighters make that claim only for the company to poo poo it.  Perhaps they were holding off to make the announcement at a more opportune time, but doing so now would make them look like wankers or do we reckon its a ploy by the boys to try and engineer something?

They aren't making a 165lb belt just yet at least, Tyrone Woodley should have the choice of going to 165 or 175 if they change it. They won't do 5lbs between weight classes, so it should be up to Woodley and even Colby to decide what division they want to fight at. This would effect big LW's, current WW's and smaller MW's as they could drop to 175 but 170 might be too much. It probably has to happen but not now and not with these two fighters.

You can talk about Woodley not being liked but the guy is on Fox Sports UFC panels etc which they could remove him from if they felt that strongly against him.

Archived