The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Besides, if you were going for the negative you'd say something about him wanting no publicity while on a show that has a large audience, before pimping his upcoming shows that he is donating the proceeds for.

But yeah, that's a lovely thing to do, particularly liked the line about how you can't always take, you have to give back.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 minutes ago, David said:

You think so? You think he couldn't have said "That's beautiful man, I'll tell you what, whatever you donate, I'll match it."

Nope, he just sits there with the classic Rogan look on his face, looking at Schaub like he's a fucking dork.

Who fucking cares? Schaub did something incredible for someone in need. End of story.

• Paid Members

Just came in to post about Schaub. I think he’s a complete goof who spends his life trying to impress Joe like he’s the cool kid in class, and I’ve no idea whatsoever why people pay to see him do comedy, but you’ve got to hand it to him here. He’s a class act for doing that. Huge amounts of respect. 

2 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Who fucking cares? Schaub did something incredible for someone in need. End of story.

Not "end of story," it's a discussion forum, so we'll discuss as we see fit, fella. 

I didn't say Schaub didn't do something great, I just remarked that the person he was talking to is infinitely richer and could have also chipped in, seeing as he probably knows Borg better than Schaub does.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, David said:

Not "end of story," it's a discussion forum, so we'll discuss as we see fit, fella. 

I didn't say Schaub didn't do something great, I just remarked that the person he was talking to is infinitely richer and could have also chipped in, seeing as he probably knows Borg better than Schaub does.

Sometimes it's good to focus on the positive instead of seeing the negatives in people / situations. That's all I'm saying.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

Well, knock yourself out mate. No one is stopping you.

Will do. A nice side effect is that you get exposed to a bit of positivity in the process. Might rub off on you. 😉

• Paid Members

Common sense might be prevailing re: UFC 230. 

Someone tweeted Dana, or he was asked in an interview (sorry i just watched a load of 229 buildup and can't remember anything now) about the MSG main event situation. Someone was tweeting him saying Poirier vs Diaz should've been the main event and Dana replied 'DEAL' and said he's going to try to make it happen. 

I don't think anyone's really got a problem with the Shevchenko vs Eubanks fight happening, it's just an awful main event for a MSG show. Poirier vs Diaz deserves 5 rounds. They mightn't need it but it's a more than worthy 5 round main event. And even from the business POV, surely advertising UFC 230: Poirier vs Diaz will shift more buys than advertising UFC 230: Shevchenko vs Eubanks, even though both fights are on the show regardless. It's standard advertising isn't it? With any product you're trying to sell, you focus your ad around what's going to sell it best. I'm no Alan Sugar but any cunt knows that putting Shev and Eubanks on the poster while Nate Diaz is on the undercard is backwards business. Just swapping those two fights' card positions makes a big difference in this case IMO. 

This...

Poirier vs Diaz 

Shevchenko vs Eubanks 

Rockhold vs Weidman 2

Brunson vs Adesanya 

Jacare vs Branch

Looks a lot better than this...

Shevchenko vs Eubanks 

Poirier vs Diaz 

Rockhold vs Weidman 2

Brunson vs Adesanya 

Jacare vs Branch

The same fights in a slightly different order. Yet one just looks wrong. All you're doing is swapping two fights around but it's the difference between a good show and a show where you probably do less buys by having an off-putting headliner and your main eventers probably fighting in front of a load of empty chairs because a load of people left after the real main event in Poirier-Diaz.

It's so obvious to anyone else but they really need to get over this title fight MUST headline obsession. 

• Paid Members

Yeh exactly, i mentioned a similar thing previously in the thread, just have the Title fight on the main card, it doesn't have to main event, Bellator does it. They had their Lightweight title sit below Sonnen/Wanderlei and Mitrione/Fedor on their NYC card.

I think they're possibly approaching it from a LEGIT SPORTZ perspective or something.  One where a title match should take precedent on a card as you can't get any more main event than a title match.  Sure it may not be an entertainment / buys way of doing it, but it makes the title the most important thing in the sport.

Of course, we've seen boxing have a money match top the bill before, and I guess it isn't a problem until they start losing money on events.  Perhaps they are sacrificing all the PPV revenue that we are dead sure they'll lose and see it as worthwhile to make the Championship fight the most important.

Or they're fucking idiots who think they have a WWE type fanbase who'll shell out for any old shit.

• Paid Members

For me it's more that, aside from the money fight thing, the main thing for me is that the main event should just be the fight that feels most like the main event regardless of titles. Most times with that logic the title fight would still headline but in certain cases it wouldn't. It's not like Diaz vs Poirier is some mega 'money fight' anyway (although it's more of one than Shev vs Eubanks). But it's the fight on that card that pretty much everyone sees as the true main event. The last time I recall a non-title fight headlining a PPV over a title fight was when McGregor vs Diaz 1 headlined over the Holm vs Tate title fight. Of course that was McGregor so they were happy to go against their own rule that time. Now I'm not calling for some title fights to be relegated to the prelims, they should always be on the main card. But if there's a fight that warrants a higher position on the card, be it because they're bigger stars or it's simply a better or more anticipated fight than the title match, it should go on last. 

• Paid Members

The legit sportz thing never really applies to MMA or Boxing because the sports simply aint structured like any other, especially when you are trying to work under a PPV model, you simply have to put the bouts that sell at the top of the card. When David Haye fought Tony Bellew in March and did over 1 million buys in a non-title fight i dont anyone on the planet was upset that an IBF World Title between Paul Butler and Emanuel Rodriguez went on before it for example. 

The days of the UFC being a draw on its own on TV/PPV are over, the novelty has worn off. The only time the brand sells now is at the gate when they hit markets they dont often go too.

The UFC is speaking to Derrick Lewis and Daniel Cormier about headlining UFC 230.

That fucking card.

If it ends up being the reason an underprepared Daniel Cormier loses the title and fumbles the Lesnar fight, i’d be fuming.

Also feels like DL should be given more time to prepare. I’d be well pissed if I was him, as they’re clearly trying to book it as they’re confident he’ll lose.

3 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The UFC is speaking to Derrick Lewis and Daniel Cormier about headlining UFC 230.

That fucking card.

If it ends up being the reason an underprepared Daniel Cormier loses the title and fumbles the Lesnar fight, i’d be fuming.

Also feels like DL should be given more time to prepare. I’d be well pissed if I was him, as they’re clearly trying to book it as they’re confident he’ll lose.

In all honesty, why would Cormier take that fight at this stage? He has nothing to gain really, aside from a payday. He's on course to face Brock (apparently) and make his big payday before retiring.

Archived