The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

You're having a fucking laugh, surely? I don't understand this mentality of absolutely needing a title fight on top. If that's the best you can cobble together, then just forget about bloody titles, go with Nate Vs Dustin on top, and you instantly have five rounds of madness.

There's not a single person buying that PPV for Valentina Vs Eubanks, that wouldn't have already been buying it for Diaz being there - and by putting it on last, you're reducing the potential for how good Diaz Vs Dustin could be if it was to go the whole 25 minutes. 

In actual fact it could even hurt business, as it reduces the promotional effort that would be available to put behind the actual stars, leaving casuals less aware it's happening when scrolling through TV guides, glancing at posters etc. Crazy decision from a quality perspective, and potentially a financially as well. 

It's that silly that I can't even believe it. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Christ. So there goes the run of mega fights at MSG. 

2016 - McGregor vs Alvarez 

2017 - GSP vs Bisping 

2018...this shit 

And I'm a big fan of Shevchenko. She's a fantastic fighter. But this is poor. This obsession they have now that a title fight MUST headline every PPV is a bit silly. I'd rather they'd have just bumped Diaz vs Poirier up to main event than this. 5 rounds of Diaz vs Poirier would be all kinds of awesome. It'd still have been a few steps down from the previous two MSG headliners but certainly preferable to Shev vs Sarge. It probably won't be a bad fight in fairness, but its placement on top of this card doesn't work for me brother. This would've been right at home on a FOX card or even FS1. Not what's become the biggest PPV of the year. 

• Paid Members

Still a cluster.

Complete balls up this, though. Brendan "I've got my sources, bro" Schaub claimed on Rogan's podcast that they were shooting for Jones v Velasquez, whereas Rogan confirmed he heard it was Jones v Gus. Either way, they were apparently looking to get Jones a fight, but it fell through, for whatever reason.

• Paid Members

"No offense but I don't even know who Sijara Eubanks is and I'm the commentator for the UFC." 

- Joe Rogan just now on his podcast

It’s unbelievable how tone deaf they’ve become. Their finger couldn’t be less on the pulse.  When Conor retires, they’re fucked.

I wonder how much money it would cost to bring Joe Silva back?

What a mess. That's not even a Fight Night main event, fucking hell.

Just take the hit with this one, give Diaz/Poirer the main event slot and cross your fingers. I haven't a clue what they're playing at with this. 

• Paid Members

It wouldng have been so bad if it was still Shevchenko vs Jedrzejczyk. Still a step down from the previous MSG mains but that's a great fight, has backstory that could've been told with their Kickboxing clashes and there's a big Polish community in New York and Joanna's been on the first two MSG cards. It wouldn't have been perfect but it would've been something they could've worked with and a cracking fight at the end of it. This Eubanks fight is dead on arrival though. I only remember Eubanks as the girl who had to cut her dreadlocks on TUF to make weight and then dropped out of the final because she couldn't make the weight. That's it. Looking her up now she's got a record of 3-2, is 1-1 in her last 2 and has losses to very average UFC prelimers Katlyn Chookagian and Aspen Ladd. Top contender ~! Is this really the best they could do? 

Fuck titles. I think this should go on under Diaz vs Poirier. Nobody sees this as the main event. Looking at 230 now, the PPV probably shakes out like this;

Shevchenko vs Eubanks 

Diaz vs Poirier 

Rockhold vs Weidman 2

Brunson vs Adesanya 

Jacare vs Branch

Shev vs Eubanks is by far, by far, the least interesting fight there. If they insist on putting that on last then I expect a lot of empty seats for that 'main event'. Like UFC 200, Lesnar vs Hunt should've went on last. Sure, with hindsight we know that thing was a farce with Brock popping for roids and the fight being a bit cack but, without the benefit of hindsight, that was the real main event going in. It's the fight everyone was talking about. The main event should be just that, the MAIN event. If a title is attached, even better, but it's not a prerequisite to anyone. Outside the UFC HQ anyway. Brock's MMA return playing second fiddle to a Miesha Tate vs Amanda Nunes fight, at UFC 200, just because of a title was dopey logic. And now we've got Shevchenko fighting a TUF jobber on the marquee at Madison Square Garden also because gold belts = PPV main events. 

Like WeeAl said above, it's not like this will attract anyone to buy the PPV who wasn't already in the bag. No-one is buying this now who wasn't before. OK, maybe a couple of Russians and Eubanks' mum will but that's it. It's purely down to the UFC's title fights must headline PPVs fetish. It's so odd. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Like WeeAl said above, it's not like this will attract anyone to buy the PPV who wasn't already in the bag. No-one is buying this now who wasn't before. OK, maybe a couple of Russians and Eubanks' mum will but that's it. It's purely down to the UFC's title fights must headline PPVs fetish. It's so odd. 

I understand the need to make a title feel important but when the title fight is nowhere near the biggest fight on the card, it shouldn't really be positioned as the main event. Bellator don't do it, boxing certainly doesn't always do it, they'll still put a world title fight under a money fight that will draw all the time. Feels like the UFC's business model is biting them on the ass here because the reaction has been bad, especially when you consider the types of fights the fans have been throwing around for 230. The UFC can't have expected this to be any kind of fix that was going to appease the fanbase. They should have come out and said that they have had a hard time finding a main event, Dustin/Diaz will now headline the show as well as as that we've added a Women's Flyweight Title fight to the main card.

26 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Wow. Fuck all the other shit that makes Schaub come over as a bit of a dick. What a human being he is. The world needs more people like that.

You notice that Joe is sitting there, much fucking richer than Schaub is, makes more per show, with a smile on his face that says "I ain't donating shit!" 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, David said:

You notice that Joe is sitting there, much fucking richer than Schaub is, makes more per show, with a smile on his face that says "I ain't donating shit!" 

Well done for finding the negative in the situation. 

What's he gonna do? Pipe up and and say "oh yeah, me too, i'll do that too". Would come over a bit crass, no?

1 minute ago, Chunk said:

Well done for finding the negative in the situation. 

What's he gonna do? Pipe up and and say "oh yeah, me too, i'll do that too". Would come over a bit crass, no?

You think so? You think he couldn't have said "That's beautiful man, I'll tell you what, whatever you donate, I'll match it."

Nope, he just sits there with the classic Rogan look on his face, looking at Schaub like he's a fucking dork.

Archived