The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I think it's a strong arming tactic by Diaz and Poirier to try and pressure the UFC into making their fight for a title, and therefore, the main event. Probably figuring that if the UFC had a main event wrapped up, they would have went with an announcement of it by now.Ā 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, the_mole said:

They aren't making a 165lb belt just yet at least, Tyrone Woodley should have the choice of going to 165 or 175 if they change it. They won't do 5lbs between weight classes, so it should be up to Woodley and even Colby to decide what division they want to fight at. This would effect big LW's, current WW's and smaller MW's as they could drop to 175 but 170 might be too much. It probably has to happen but not now and not with these two fighters.

You can talk about Woodley not being liked but the guy is on Fox Sports UFC panels etc which they could remove him from if they felt that strongly against him.

What are you on about? You think if they're creating a weight class that could kick off with Nate and Dustin, they're gonna say "no, we need to wait and see what Woodley, who's out injured, has to say about it?"

The Diaz vs Poirier fight would be perfect for launching it, if they decide to go down that route.

2 hours ago, David said:

What are you on about? You think if they're creating a weight class that could kick off with Nate and Dustin, they're gonna say "no, we need to wait and see what Woodley, who's out injured, has to say about it?"

The Diaz vs Poirier fight would be perfect for launching it, if they decide to go down that route.

Out injured 8-12 weeks, and just fought a few weeks ago, he's hardly sitting on the sidelines like Nate's been for over two years, he has the right to choose what division he fights in as current chanpion and shouldn't be stripped, which he would be if they created this belt or at least forced up a division, as again they are never going to have divisions 5lb apart.

Also why would the UFC deny this? They gain nothing from denying it.

1 minute ago, the_mole said:

Out injured 8-12 weeks, and just fought a few weeks ago, he's hardly sitting on the sidelines like Nate's been for over two years, he has the right to choose what division he fights in as current chanpion and shouldn't be stripped, which he would be if they created this belt or at least forced up a division, as again they are never going to have divisions 5lb apart.

Also why would the UFC deny this? They gain nothing from denying it.

Wait, what?

You think they're going to strip Woodley of his title?Ā 

All the reports (and that's all they are, reports) are saying is that both Diaz and Poirier have claimed they're fighting for a title at 165lbs. Nothing more.

This has nothing to do with Woodley, or Covington.

1 minute ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Ariel reckons the main event may wellĀ be Yoel Romero Vs Alexander Gustaffsson for either the interim or actual Light Heavyweight Belt.

A main event will be announced either at some point today or tomorrow though as tickets have just gone on sale

That does nothing for me, sadly. Least of all as the main event of MSG. Romero, who's won one out of his last three, and Gusty, who hasn't fought in well over a year doesn't even feel as big as a potential headliner of Diaz/Poirer at this point.

Isn't Romero meant to be against Costa as well or have I completely missed something?

Ā 

Romero moving up in weight to face Gusty is a cracking fight, even moreso if it's for an interim strap that could lead to a fight with Jones down the line. Imagine Romero vs Jones? Christ.

I'm not quite sure what people are expecting to be honest. Lesnar vs DC and Cain in a triple threat cage match?

1 hour ago, David said:

Wait, what?

You think they're going to strip Woodley of his title?Ā 

All the reports (and that's all they are, reports) are saying is that both Diaz and Poirier have claimed they're fighting for a title at 165lbs. Nothing more.

This has nothing to do with Woodley, or Covington.

They aren't going to have titles 5 lbs apart, that's not going to happen, so if a 165 lb belt comes in, Woodley is no longer the 170lb champion, he either gets given or fights for a title of his chosen at 165 or 175 and it should be his decision what one he wants to go for, as they would be getting rid of the division he fights at.

Just now, the_mole said:

They aren't going to have titles 5 lbs apart, that's not going to happen, so if a 165 lb belt comes in, Woodley is no longer the 170lb champion, he either gets given or fights for a title of his chosen at 165 or 175 and it should be his decision what one he wants to go for, as they would be getting rid of the division he fights at.

You don't know any of that for sure, none of us do. Just wait and see how it plays out.

• Paid Members

Feels like a bad move to me. I've got friends that are casual UFC fans and watch it because they've got BT Sport anyway. No chance they subscribe to a new service for it. That description must apply to a lot of people.Ā 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Feels like a bad move to me. I've got friends that are casual UFC fans and watch it because they've got BT Sport anyway. No chance they subscribe to a new service for it. That description must apply to a lot of people.Ā 

If the service isn't on a par with BT Sport it'll be more than the casual fans they'll be missing.

Archived