The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Legacy and History books? 

He has and is in them already is he not??? 

Regardless of him not defending both belts he is the only one to ever win 2 belts in the UFC and hold them at the same time, he beat Jose Aldo in 6 seconds, the best pound for pound fight of the last decade. 

For me if it ever happens he beats Ferguson but Khabib would take him down and hold him there for 5 rounds.

At this point he is bigger then the UFC, I understand why he wants to be paid more. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

How much is 'more' though? He's not going to be getting Mayweather paydays again. Mayweather is the only man in the history of combat sports who's generated that kind of payday. The UFC will obviously want McGregor back badly but they aren't going to bankrupt themselves to keep meeting his demands. He'll still be getting millions anytime he fights from here on in. That's on top of the millions and millions he's already banked. Nobody's expecting him to fight on the cheap but at the same time he's got to realise he's simply not getting the really ridiculous money against anyone but Mayweather. Because there isn't another Mayweather. The UFC might well pay him more but you know what McGregor's like. He'll demand even more after that and more still after that. At some point they're going to decide his asking price is too high and it's more profitable to just not bother. Asking for a bigger piece of the pie is one thing. McGregor wants the whole pie and seconds. I don't blame him for trying but he's got to be real at some point and decide if he actually wants to fight again or not. He will, I'm sure. He's still too young and too good to walk away now and he's making all the right noises now that suggest a comeback is imminent. But he needs to know where the balance is of asking for more and pricing himself out because all this time he's sitting out is eating into his prime years as a fighter. 

1 hour ago, David said:

I know I'll get shot down by all of the "it's all about the money, and all about PPV buys" crowd,

I think you are preaching to the choir here David. 

From a fan's perspective, I think most would like McGregor to fight an Edgar, Ferguson or Khabib, rather than chase mixed rules bouts with boxers or piss about with gangsters in Ireland. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, there hasn't been much of that talk at all on here for ages where McGregor's concerned, has there? Seems like people are just wishing he'd come back and stop piss arsing about. 

I suppose a good sign is it's gone relatively quiet on the McGregor front recently. There was a time a few months back where it seemed like barely a week would pass without him popping up on the MMA news sites for doing something boneheaded. The bollocks on that UFC Poland show last year where Marc Goddard had to tell him to sit his arse down because he was being a bellend at cageside. Then he was going around calling Andre Fili a 'faggot' backstage on same show. Then making a tit of himself on that Bellator show where he hopped the cage. There was all that ridiculousness about him battering some Irish gangster's old man in a pub. Then there was him showing up to court in a tracksuit and acting like a bit of a twat coming out of court on that video that was doing the rounds. There's probably a few other examples I'm forgetting. He's squeezed a fair bit of 'being a knob' into the few months since the Mayweather fight. But the last couple of months, outside of the odd tweet, we've barely heard a peep out of him. And I think that's because, like Colin Bollocks mentioned, he seems to have got focused on training hard again. Hopefully he sticks with it and keeps himself busy because Conor McGregor with a load of money and free time plus nothing to train for or focus on, well it doesn't seem to go very well from the glimpses we've seen. If I was John Kavanagh I'd lock the cunt in the gym. 

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Legacy and History books? 

He has and is in them already is he not??? 

Regardless of him not defending both belts he is the only one to ever win 2 belts in the UFC and hold them at the same time, he beat Jose Aldo in 6 seconds, the best pound for pound fight of the last decade. 

For me if it ever happens he beats Ferguson but Khabib would take him down and hold him there for 5 rounds.

At this point he is bigger then the UFC, I understand why he wants to be paid more. 

Wait, what? Aldo is now the best pound for pound fighter of the last decade, is he? Not Anderson? 

And let's be real here, he's not "bigger" than the UFC, because without the UFC he's fuck all. It's because of the UFC that he is where he is. He was involved in a fight that drew big numbers and big money against a guy who draws big numbers and big money. Let's be honest, that fight drew what it did primarily because it was Floyd Mayweather who was fighting. You take Floyd out of that equation and slot some chump like Paulie Malignaggi in there against McG and how much is he making? Nowhere near that kind of dough.

McGregor won't make that kind of money again. Whereas Mayweather was pulling in that kind of cheese before McG got done signing on at the Irish jobcentre.

If he's holding out for huge money then he's off his head, because the truth is he simply isn't worth it to the UFC. The sport of MMA as a whole has a ceiling, and McG has pretty much hit that ceiling.

If he wants to fight he needs to take what he's contracted to earn (which is still a fucking shitload more than most UFC fighters earn) and get back in the cage.

If he's not wanting to get punched in the face for the money on offer then fair enough, you can't blame him for that. But he needs to move aside and let the hungrier fighters do their thing.

It's time he either put up, or fucked off basically.

• Paid Members

i think there is a very slow turning of the tide when it comes to McGregor's reputation. There'll always be the fanboys who loves seeing him doing the flash shit but i sense there's a big portion who are starting to say "right you've had your fun mate and we enjoyed following it but get back to work".

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

i think there is a very slow turning of the tide when it comes to McGregor's reputation. There'll always be the fanboys who loves seeing him doing the flash shit but i sense there's a big portion who are starting to say "right you've had your fun mate and we enjoyed following it but get back to work".

Nail on the head, Ebb. There's only so many times I can see another fucking post on his Insta telling me about his sister on Dancing With The Stars!

17 minutes ago, David said:

And let's be real here, he's not "bigger" than the UFC, because without the UFC he's fuck all. It's because of the UFC that he is where he is. He was involved in a fight that drew big numbers and big money against a guy who draws big numbers and big money. Let's be honest, that fight drew what it did primarily because it was Floyd Mayweather who was fighting. You take Floyd out of that equation and slot some chump like Paulie Malignaggi in there against McG and how much is he making? Nowhere near that kind of dough.

McGregor won't make that kind of money again. Whereas Mayweather was pulling in that kind of cheese before McG got done signing on at the Irish jobcentre.

Mayweather Vs Berto (The fight prior to McGregor) pulled in 500,000 PPV buys.

I doubt I’d need to remind you how many the McGregor fight pulled in. 

12 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Mayweather Vs Berto (The fight prior to McGregor) pulled in 500,000 PPV buys.

I doubt I’d need to remind you how many the McGregor fight pulled in. 

How much did Mayweather get paid for that fight?

Are you actually telling me that you think Conor pulls in that kind of money if he's fighting anyone else not called Mayweather? Seriously?

Also, Mayweather/Berto was treated by everyone as a perfunctory fight to get him over the line. There was no serious push.

If the Money Marketeers are engaged, they can put together a super fight like nobodies business.

Mayweather is the only superfight in McGregors sphere of influence. There are no genuine Super fights in MMA because, as David said, there’s a ceiling and the weight-appropriate boxing superfights are near non-existent. You can’t pair him with a young hungry boxer, because Floyd’s age provided the ‘maybe?’ factor that made the fight sellable. Potentially you could have a crack at Pacqiuao, but you get the sense that their chemistry wouldn’t ignite PLUS the fact it’d just seem like a less good re-run of MvM.

Ebb and David are right. He needs to enjoy his success, but accept his reality; he needs to accept the Mayweather thing was probably one and done and move on. The money won’t be as good, but it’ll be pretty good and he can reestablish himself as one of the best MMA fighters in the world. If he dithers much longer you get the feeling his legacy will disappear, his fans will disappear and subsequently his money making potential will disappear.

• Paid Members

I think we were all saying this a couple of months ago: McG needs to shit or get off the pot, and stop talking at us about the money or all the other shit that doesn't mean anything to fans of MMA in the long run. Either get back in the Octagon, or fuck off to the movies, TV, or TMZ. And stop with the boxing - unless you're beating the shit out of Boris Johnson, Piers Morgan, or Alex Jones, I'm not interested.

That said, David, I think you're going too far in the other direction. McG has already accomplished things for his legacy - Aldo may not be the best P4P ever, but he was the only flyweight champ the UFC had ever had, was undefeated for ten years, and had beaten everyone else the UFC had sent him thus far, which includes most of the guys we'd consider legit and shoo-ins for the HOF in their own rights. And he did win two belts, beating the legit, not interim, champs. 

There are still holes to be filled and questions to be answered, but let's not shit on what he's achieved thus far.

In a way he's backed himself into a corner. He's talked that much about how he "Wants paid" and how he wants part of the company and all manner of shite that if he does return and gets paid whatever the UFC agree to pay him it's going to look like a climbdown of sorts.

There's also the small matter of who he fights. If we're all brutally honest, and we look through the bravado and the expensive suits, does anyone really see him as a favourite against either Ferguson or Khabib?

I think Khabib manhandles him, while a Ferguson fight goes the same way as the first Diaz fight. 

It's a tough call really. He could implement the blueprint that most fighters use for beating a Diaz and get a win there, but aside from that I don't really see any winnable fights for him.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Alex Jones

Jones can sell a fight like no other - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj5ec0pS1XI

50 minutes ago, David said:

Wait, what? Aldo is now the best pound for pound fighter of the last decade, is he? Not Anderson? 

I would rate Aldo and GSP clearly above Anderson. 

I don't see much of an argument for Anderson being rated above GSP.

4 minutes ago, David said:

I think Khabib manhandles him, while a Ferguson fight goes the same way as the first Diaz fight. 

I agree about Khabib. 

However, I would slightly favour him to beat Ferguson. It's a much more friendlier style match-up for McGregor. 

• Paid Members

I've always felt like Ferguson is a tricky fight for McGregor. He's granite tough, pushes the pace constantly, has a unique style that won't be easy to replicate in sparring and his ground game is phenomenal, on top and off his back. I'd go as far as to say I think he's a better version of Nate Diaz, just smaller. I wouldn't count McGregor out at all though. Ferguson is hittable as we've seen in a bunch of his fights and if there's a flaw to his game maybe it's that he's too up for a scrap. That could play into McGregor's hands, it'd certainly present him with more opportunities to catch him. It's a great fight on paper, I really hope it comes off.

I'd say McGregor vs Khabib is the sexier fight build up wise. I really think the contrast between those two could provide some magic. But, although I'd always give him a punchers chance, I get the feeling McGregor gets completely mauled if he comes up against Khabib. For pure fight quality I think McGregor vs Ferguson is where it's at. The build up to that could be fun in that Ferguson's shitness at trash talk would mean McGregor would annihilate him on the mic, but the fight itself I think would be a fucking corker. 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, David said:

In a way he's backed himself into a corner. He's talked that much about how he "Wants paid" and how he wants part of the company and all manner of shite that if he does return and gets paid whatever the UFC agree to pay him it's going to look like a climbdown of sorts.

There's also the small matter of who he fights. If we're all brutally honest, and we look through the bravado and the expensive suits, does anyone really see him as a favourite against either Ferguson or Khabib?

It's a tough call really. He could implement the blueprint that most fighters use for beating a Diaz and get a win there, but aside from that I don't really see any winnable fights for him.

It all depends on how they handle the shot from that left hand of his. I don't fancy his chances much with either man if the fight goes past the 1st, but part of Khabib's game is to bully his way threw your offence to get you to back against the cage, and we all know prime Conor is a master at picking the slim openings to crack you.

It's Tony I see him finding a proper bugger, though. Cardio for days, good striker, excellent on the ground and, importantly, he's got one of those freaky chins.

EDIT: Yeah, wand did it better, as always. Be more like wand.

Archived