The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

1 minute ago, David said:

I'm thinking the stories about him burning through cash like some chav who's won the lottery may be true. He's basically pimping himself out to all manner of companies for a few quid now. 

He's even doing paid ads on his Instagram. 

Yeah, there has to be something in it. This isn’t a man who is calling his own shots: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/970706176588505094?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Yeah, there has to be something in it. This isn’t a man who is calling his own shots: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/970706176588505094?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's not broke, but if you're someone who's made what he's made over the past few years and you haven't been stupid with it you don't need to be doing that shit.

An advertising deal with Hublot or Rolls Royce, fair enough, but some of the shit I've seen on his Instagram associated with Betfair is a bit suspect, and seems a bit desperate.

I sincerely hope he's not been daft in an attempt to keep up with the likes of Floyd. As much as he grates on me, he's worked for that cash and hopefully he won't be reduced to doing the after dinner circuit in his 50's, telling a bunch of drunks in some working mans club about how he came close to beating one of the greatest of all time, before shuffling to the front desk and pocketing £150 in cash.

2 minutes ago, David said:

I sincerely hope he's not been daft in an attempt to keep up with the likes of Floyd. As much as he grates on me, he's worked for that cash and hopefully he won't be reduced to doing the after dinner circuit in his 50's, telling a bunch of drunks in some working mans club about how he came close to beating one of the greatest of all time, before shuffling to the front desk and pocketing £150 in cash.

I can see him doing that even if he still has his millions. Ricky Hatton is loaded and does the same. Just a chance to relive the adoration and get a pat on the back from old fans.

1 minute ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I can see him doing that even if he still has his millions. Ricky Hatton is loaded and does the same. Just a chance to relive the adoration and get a pat on the back from old fans.

Oh yeah, if he's doing it through choice then fair play, I just hope he's not reduced to doing it is all. Once those Burger King deals dry up, what then? 

• Paid Members

Well that's why you do it while you can, no? So you reduce the comedown of "what then?". Athletes usually only have a short window to grab as much cash as they can before the suddenly find themselves on Dancing With The Stars or Sky Sports. You're a bit of a mug/fool to not grab as much money as you can. Particularly if it's a decent brand like Burger King - he's not advertising Fleshlights (yet). The reason most fighters fight and work so hard is to break out of squalor; considering where Conor came from reducing himself to Burger King ad or Betfair ad is really nowt.

Easy money, innit.

It depends, Burger King isn’t a premium brand. The more you associate with everyday brands, the less likely you are to get premium brands working with you in the future.

It might just be that the real premium brands aren’t reaching out to cage fighters anyway, so he’s thought ‘fuck it’ and is just doing the biggest cash grab he can.

OR, he thinks he’s so bulletproof that he can do goofy stuff and still get premium work. That does work for the real A-List at times, I guess.

But, party hats and chicken burgers do make me think he needs these gigs more than he wants them. 

• Paid Members

Who knows, but maybe Conor doesn't mind making a tit out of himself for good coin. Before the big Floyd pay day he was doing those daft adverts with Jon Lovitz. I mind Helwani saying that they basically offered him good money for a couple of days work, so he thought "fook it". I get that "fuck you" money is wasted if you don't get to the "fuck you" part, which is maybe why you question how that spending is going, but it's smart to grab the cash if the money is too good to refuse.

Beats getting smashed in the puss by Khabib.

I dunno, it just doesn't seem like the behaviour of someone who's sitting on millions, flying in private jets and can't find a big enough garage for his collection of Ferrari's.

I follow both him and Floyd on Insta, and I've yet to get a paid post for Betfair from Money May.

1 minute ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Floyd wore a pair of paddy power pants for a payday did he not? 

Yeah, at the weigh-ins. When he was fighting an Irishman. He wasn't posting Paddy Power sponsored posts on his Insta, was he? 

They were also emblazoned with "always bet on black" if I recall correctly.

1 minute ago, David said:

I dunno, it just doesn't seem like the behaviour of someone who's sitting on millions, flying in private jets and can't find a big enough garage for his collection of Ferrari's.

I follow both him and Floyd on Insta, and I've yet to get a paid post for Betfair from Money May.

This is the same Mayweather that name dropped Paddy Power in his MMA tease video whilst flaunting all their gear during the build-up to his fight with McGregor. 

Either way, what millionaires choose to do with their fortune isn't really a concern of mine. Could be way off the mark but I don't see anything in this other than a quick payday for McGregor which merely involves him pissing around on a jet. An easy day of work for him. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, at the weigh-ins. When he was fighting an Irishman. He wasn't posting Paddy Power sponsored posts on his Insta, was he? 

They were also emblazoned with "always bet on black" if I recall correctly.

You actually think someone like Floyd or Conor runs their own social media themselves? 

1 minute ago, AdamTH17 said:

This is the same Mayweather that name dropped Paddy Power in his MMA tease video whilst flaunting all their gear during the build-up to his fight with McGregor. 

Either way, what millionaires choose to do with their fortune isn't really a concern of mine. Could be way off the mark but I don't see anything in this other than a quick payday for McGregor which merely involves him pissing around on a jet. An easy day of work for him. 

As I said, hopefully there's nothing in it, but rumours persist from those who know people who train with McG that he's been spending money like a man with no arms, so to speak. And taking some bad advice as well. 

You know how it works, you can hand a wad of dough to a council estate chav but it doesn't make him wealthy, simply because he's not intelligent enough to know what to do with it. There's a reason why the McG's of this world, be they lottery winners or whatever, usually end up with fuck all, while the Fertitta types tend to take their money and double and triple it.

Archived