The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

If the UFC were to create a 165lb division, would welterwight remain as is or change to 175lb do you think? I'm not a fan of creating belts for the sake of creating belts, but in the interest of fighter health - you'd think that creating divisions in 10lb increments would make lots of sense.  So that would mean a 195lb division as well. They sure as hell put on enough fights, though I can't imagine there's enough talent - particularly between 185 - 205lb, to make them really interesting at the moment. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they wouldn't have a division 5lbs apart, I would assume they would ask Woodley what division he wants to fight in, 165 (I think he wrestled at that at college & Ben Askren at the same school wrestled at 175) it's easiest the division with the most cross over out of all the divisions they could have as more people are that weight just look at all the former LW's doing OK at 170 right now. Some have said 195 & 225 but LHW & HW are really weak and guys leaving those divisions wouldn't help much, you would probably end up with guys who couldn't cut it at the top end at 185 or 205 like Rockhold & Weidman who would get a title shot after being knocked out by Romero. Or Rashad trying to stay relevant.

Jones's hearing with the CSAC is currently ongoing. Those following it on Twitter are unconvinced with Jones's defence. 

Josh Gross:
Jones hasn't said much in his defense that helps him. Asked what he can do to ensure this won't happen, he says he can't. He swears he didn't use steroids. He says his luck has been terrible with USADA.

Jordan Breen:
Jon Jones isn't just an inveterate liar, he's encircled by uniquely idiotic people. His entire defense is begging for sympathy without any shred of exonerating or mitigating evidence. Yet another hit for his triple album of total self-inflicted embarrassments

Oh, he’s so fucked. He’s Uber fucked. And he’s done it to himself.

A hit and run on a pregnant woman whilst high on Bolivian marching powder is less reckless than his attempts at defence today.

I think any dreams of Jones/Cormier and Jones/Lesnar can go promptly down the bog.

My favourite bits so far have been him claiming that he’s never been shown leniency by anyone, and admitting that he gets his team to do all his mandatory online USADA modules. Fucking cretin.

*edit* Christ, now he’s admitted his team would forge his signature on USADA documents. Fuck this guy.

My favourite tweet ever is; https://mobile.twitter.com/RJcliffordMMA/status/968583427325755392?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

My favourite bits so far have been him claiming that he’s never been shown leniency by anyone, and admitting that he gets his team to do all his mandatory online USADA modules. Fucking cretin.

*edit* Christ, now he’s admitted his team would forge his signature on USADA documents. Fuck this guy.

So maybe the only place Jones doesn't self-sabotage is in the cage. What an absolute mong.

"You can call me many things. You can call me a party boy, wild child, knucklehead … but a cheater is something I will never admit to. That’s something I’ll never say that I am." Jon Jones or Kenny Powers?

Video link

Brock Lesnar appeared at a WWE Live event last night. Don’t know if this has anything to do with a potential UFC return, but he looks to have thinned out/softened up something chronic..

Few other pictures circulating of him looking trim too. Compare that to the last few years when he’s turned up to Mania season with a purple face and a body like a tank, and it might mean he’s heading back to legitimate competition.

Does anyone know if he’s re-registered with USADA yet? I’m sure he had a year or so pending on a suspension with them..

*edit*

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrockLesnarGuy/status/970129040626606081/photo/1

Good Lord...

• Paid Members

It's worth noting he trimmed down quite a bit the last time his deal was up, which led to him signing with WWE, obviously. He claimed on ESPN he tried training again but realised he didn't have it so signed with WWE. That may be true, of course, but it may also be a blinding bit of mindfuckery by Lesnar, with regards to a new WWE contract.

As much as I enjoy Lesnar is WWE (and they'll be worse off without him), I'm hoping for a couple more UFC fights. Even if it doesn't go well, the Hunt fight made me realise how much I miss him in a proper scrap, or more accurately, how much I miss the big fight atmosphere a Lesnar fight adds to the card.

He apparently had a 35 second match with Kane with one fan shouting "We paid for this" fuckin brilliant, he actually got booed, I suppose getting real heat is now not caring or pretending not to care about your job, so Roman Reigns gets cheered for beating him, actually quite smart, I would no show most of the Mania build and everybody wins.

Maybe his build nowadays is more to do with him being almost 41, and having been through a pretty tough career of both pro wrestling & MMA?

Honestly, when he said after his last attempt at a training camp that it was clear he didn't have it anymore, that should be the warning bell against any potential MMA return. What makes anyone think he'll have managed to regain "it" a year later?

As many fighters have said in the past, this isn't a sport to be fucking about in. If you think you're done, you're done. Getting in there, especially with the kind of opponent he'd likely face at anything less than 100% could end very badly for him.

The sensible move would be to stay retired from the real fighting game.

I'm thinking the stories about him burning through cash like some chav who's won the lottery may be true. He's basically pimping himself out to all manner of companies for a few quid now. 

He's even doing paid ads on his Instagram. 

Archived