The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Some glimmer of hope for us Welsh fans... 

Bisping mentioned during his Q&A that when offered the 2nd Henderson fight, he was given the option of Manchester, or the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. Obviously he said Manchester, but it's good to know that they have considered it and its an idea they have in their heads. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fuck, they've never gone to Wales have they? Completely forgot about that. Scotland and Liverpool were the ones you used to hear about for years as being left out but you Welsh have been waiting forever as well. A show at Millenium Stadium would be great actually but we never seem to get big fights here these days so they wouldn't fill it unless they brought something worthwhile over. 

Least you get Joshua vs Parker to be going on with. Birmingham is pretty dead these days for big boxing and MMA shows. When I think back, I don't think I've been to a show since Gustafsson vs Manuwa at the O2 back in 2014 :( even longer for boxing. Last one for me was that Magnificent Seven card way back in like 2010/11ish (I think) where I spent most of it pissed then sobered up at the depressing sight of Enzo getting walloped into oblivion by Frenkel. Can't remember much else from that card but that's the memory that sticks out. 

I'd love to go to something again. A big Joshua fight would be ace. Or Brook vs Khan if it ever happens. Or Bisping's last fight. Something a bit juicier than the standard Fight Night. Can't see it happening anytime soon though. My usual boxing/MMA show going mates are in different situations now. Then there's the money...getting older is shite, isn't it? 

• Paid Members
On 15 March 2018 at 4:48 PM, WeeAl said:

I've also seen Tai Tuivasa Vs Marcin Tybura and Tyson Pedro Vs Misha Cirkunov as being rumoured, but nothing that looks like confirmation.

It's Tuivasa vs Arlovski at 225 now according to MMA Junkie. 

17 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

It's Tuivasa vs Arlovski at 225 now according to MMA Junkie. 

Think my main man Arlo is catching him early enough to be able to take advantage of his inexperience and snatch another win.

• Paid Members

He might well be. I really like the little we've seen of Tuivasa but this might have come a couple of fights too soon for him, IMO. Arlovski's always vulnerable but he still comes in top condition, still moves well and still hits hard. And he obviously has a massive experience advantage over Tuivasa. Like you say, for Arlovski it's better he fights him now than further down the line. Whatever happens it should be a good fight while it lasts. 

• Paid Members

they went with the one i wanted! :)

Tuivasa's aggression will make it a fun fight. Arlovski should be skilled enough to pick him off but Tuivasa definitely had the power to put Arlovski away. Arlovski is on borrowed time at the top so this is the perfect type fight for them to make.

Anyone else get the feeling that Tuivasa has a Mark Hunt like chin too?

• Paid Members

Hard to say because we really haven't seen it tested yet. But, and I know this is a late 80s WWF Jesse Ventura-like racial stereotype...but those Samoan/Polynesians seem to have rock hard heads. And on top of that stocky fuckers just seem to take a shot well. See Hunt and Cormier. 

• Paid Members

IFL and Kugan branching out into MMA interviews now. This Darren Till interview is well worth your time. 

Touches on nearly everything and everyone from Wonderboy to McGregor to Masvidal to Floyd vs Conor to his goals in MMA etc. Really good stuff. 

Says he's asked for Wonderboy a few times but he thinks Wonderboy doesn't want it. Also sounds like he's not that into the Gunnar Nelson fight. I agree with him, just the timing of it doesn't do much for me. Could see it down the line but Gunnar hasn't fought in a while and is coming off a loss.

I love his confidence and how fired up he is. Reminds me of how McGregor was before it all went to his head. But Till's not so over the top either. He just talks with conviction and self belief like almost nobody else I've seen come through MMA. It might be overconfidence but if it is we'll find out soon enough. I like him. 

• Paid Members

They've dabbled with MMA before when there's been UK shows but it's something i'd like to see IFL do more of. Even if its just hanging around Cage Warriors and BAMMA events, it's brilliant promotion and they do wonders for a guys stock if they come across good in the interviews. I enjoy boxing more than ever now because of IFL.

Interesting to see all the Liverpudlian boxers giving Till props on twitter too, there's no us vs. them type situation, they all seem genuinely proud that Till has brought the UFC to Liverpool.

• Paid Members

What else have IFL done, MMA-wise? I've never caught any of it before apart from one quick interview they did with McGregor when he was at that Conlan fight and went on that tirade to the boxing media where he was shouting "I AM BOXING!" :/ I think Kugan caught him afterwards but I haven't seen any of their other MMA coverage. Is it all smaller UK show stuff? 

You're right though, IFL are a godsend. I can't imagine going back to following boxing without them. Whenever there's a big fight coming up or a press conference or a big development in the world of boxing, the first place I go is IFL's YouTube channel because I know Kugan is going to have interviews with the parties involved. Similar with Helwani and MMAFighting for MMA. I wish we'd had access to that kind of coverage back when I first got into boxing in the 90s. 

• Paid Members

Not a lot but theres been a couple of MMA interviews here and there. Im fairly certain they covered one MMA event over here. Might have been an ACB event.

The proof of IFL's effectiveness is seeing how much access the promoters give them. Hearn, Sauerland (the man) and Fish Eyes all regularly sit down for hour long interviews with them and they do hundreds of thousands of views, its interesting and entertaining as fuck as a fan.

Severe MMA and Woah TV try to do something similar over here but its coverage is abit scattered, id love to see a dedicated team really get in there and cover UK MMA. Hour long sit downs with Boylan and the like, it would take a while to drum up interest but it could be done.

• Paid Members

real random fight announcement from Bellator...

On April 6th, Benson Henderson will headline a card in Budapest against Roger fucking Huerta :confused: completely out of the blue but i like it.

Incidentally it's a card that was meant to be headlined by James Gallagher but once again he's dropped off the card injured, Gallagher's career is threatening to take off but he's always hurt.

bellator-budapest_450_840x.jpg?v=1520988

• Paid Members

Frankie Edgar Vs Cub Swanson close to being announced for the 21st April show according to Ariel

Hmmmm. I'm not really so into that. We've seen it before and Frankie didn't just dominate he schooled him within an inch of his life for the whole fight then submitted him with seconds left in the 5th round. It doesn't get much more one sided. 

I guess Frankie is in a strange spot now though where he's pretty much fought everyone already. I was actually kind of hoping he might give 135 a go. Edgar vs Cruz would've been brilliant. But he'd probably rather not be cutting weight at this point in his career unless it's something mega. 

Archived