The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That Chile card is looking decent with Ponzinibbio vs Usman and Shogun vs Oezdemir on top. Not bad at all. 

This surely all but confirms Till vs Wonderboy for Liverpool as well if Ponz-Usman gets made official. 170 is shaping up very nicely between these fights and RDA vs that cunt. Now if they can just get Robbie Lawler vs Mike Perry booked that'd be perfect. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Funnily enough, Breen brought up the MMA rematch between those two. If it wasn't for the Gracie's insistence on there being no judges, he would have won the rematch fair and square. Although, he did land a succession of low blows on Yoshida during the fight. 

I think evidence of Yoshida's ability was evident in other fights. Most notably, his losing efforts against Wanderlei, his win over Tamura, etc. 

I dunno, man. I saw that fight as it happened, and it felt the entire time that all Gracie was doing was fending off Yoshida's submission attempts, most of which were very turgid. I personally would've scored it a draw. In fairness, that was one of the earliest MMA I ever saw, so I probably had no understanding of scoring back then - maybe I need to re-watch it. But at the time, it just felt like a sluggish, do-nothing match.

3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I dunno, man. I saw that fight as it happened, and it felt the entire time that all Gracie was doing was fending off Yoshida's submission attempts, most of which were very turgid. I personally would've scored it a draw. In fairness, that was one of the earliest MMA I ever saw, so I probably had no understanding of scoring back then - maybe I need to re-watch it. But at the time, it just felt like a sluggish, do-nothing match.

I also haven't seen it in years. 

If I re-watched it today, it's possible that I would end up agreeing with you. I remember scoring GSP vs Hendricks clearly to Hendricks when I watched it live. However, after watching back a month later, I thought that GSP just about deserved the nod. 

It wasn't just Rebney & White, Spike had it in for them back then, in the year Askren left, Eddie Alvarez had his long drawn out contract, with Bellator matching the UFC's exact contract, despite putting in PPV points, when they had never ran a PPV. Bellator had debuted on Spike that year (they had the right to air UFC reruns in 2012 but couldn't put an actual promotion on Spike, so Bellator aired on Viacom's MTV 2, they aired UFC reruns that some idiots watched, famously going head to head with Cain Vs JDS just showing their greatest hits on the night they first fought) Spike to be fair did help the UFC become a known name among casuals.

My main point in all of this is that Askren didn't get signed not because he's boring, or because they didn't have any footage of him, or because he wasn't good enough, but because he was caught in the petty war between certain parties, and Dana and Rebney were at the centre of it.

It was you who mentioned him going to WSOF so the UFC could get fight footage of him, which is absolute bollocks. Dana basically used Askren as a tool in his little spat with Rebney.

I don't buy Dana following Ben Askren's career in One, firstly One have said they are trying to cater mainly to the people of South East Asia, they signed a handful of great international fighters but now Bibiano Fernandez is the only one still there considered world class.

I'm not saying that Dana is clearing his schedule to watch their PPV's, I'm saying that his throwaway comment about Askren is obviously being said for effect. He will have known what Askren is up to, he said what he said to make it look as though Askren is a nobody who doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, David said:

My main point in all of this is that Askren didn't get signed not because he's boring, or because they didn't have any footage of him, or because he wasn't good enough, but because he was caught in the petty war between certain parties, and Dana and Rebney were at the centre of it.

It was you who mentioned him going to WSOF so the UFC could get fight footage of him, which is absolute bollocks. Dana basically used Askren as a tool in his little spat with Rebney.

I'm not saying that Dana is clearing his schedule to watch their PPV's, I'm saying that his throwaway comment about Askren is obviously being said for effect. He will have known what Askren is up to, he said what he said to make it look as though Askren is a nobody who doesn't matter.

Yes it was petty by both parties but their was a propaganda war going on at the time and it wasn't like he was going out of his way to slag him off he was doing monthly scrums and getting asked hundreds of questions about all sorts of shit at the time.

Askren could have signed a short term deal say 3 fights with WSOF im 2013 and have been done by 2015, he signed for more money with One FC, that's his right and I'm sure One were claiming they were the second coming of Pride but he fought more than 6 fights and just finished up early 2018, that's 3 extra years more or less (he obviously stopped early this year and started late 2013)

Askren isn't a nobody but only hardcore fans know him just now, he has a mouth and Dana was proved wrong when he said Nick Diaz was the needle mover not Nate during contract talks, although Nick would have done the same with a fight with Conor, it was just a perfect match, the contrasting personalities. I think Askren could maybe draw (nothing record breaking) if he turned it right up and went after GSP verbally but he would need at least one or two fights and to look good in the UFC to build his brand.

Dana's a promoter but whoever was saying he was worse than a Peado, need some perspective, I replied because it seemed like you were saying he was just crushing guys in Asia, he was easily beating everyone besides Luis Santos who easily was winning their 3 minute fight, making Ben look shit, shooting from miles away and being tossed on his back and it ended when Ben stuck a thumb in the guys eye. His Bellator wins look better in hindsight, Lima & Koreshkov are both really good but they had only won Bellator tournaments, several guys won those tournaments and amounted to nothing, I think someone couldn't qualify to make it on TUF, when you had to fight to get in the house. Jay Heiron (pretty decent fighter but far from elite) was his biggest win and that was far from a shut out, some argued it could have went either way. 

I have never said he wasn't good enough to fight in the UFC but he wasn't coming in as a new guy or even a prospect, he would have wanted top 10-15 money and opponents but unfortunately for him he was a pawn in the whole Bellator Vs UFC thing and it didn't help he was boring to most fans and even reveled in to a paying audience at a Bellator show.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, the_mole said:

Dana's a promoter but whoever was saying he was worse than a Peado, need some perspective

Already addressed this point. It was a tongue-in-cheek, grumpy comment on my part, nothing more. Obviously, I do not think Dana White is worse than a paedophile.

Askren could have signed a short term deal say 3 fights with WSOF im 2013 and have been done by 2015, he signed for more money with One FC, that's his right and I'm sure One were claiming they were the second coming of Pride but he fought more than 6 fights and just finished up early 2018, that's 3 extra years more or less (he obviously stopped early this year and started late 2013)

Why would he do that? He was offered a financial safety net by a company that wanted him and that seemingly lived up to its promises. As Askren has said, he was told there was a deal from the UFC waiting for him if he left Bellator, only for them to renege on the deal. Why would he risk his financial security to try and win a contract from a company that seemingly fucked him over already?

Askren isn't a nobody but only hardcore fans know him just now, he has a mouth and Dana was proved wrong when he said Nick Diaz was the needle mover not Nate during contract talks, although Nick would have done the same with a fight with Conor, it was just a perfect match, the contrasting personalities. I think Askren could maybe draw (nothing record breaking) if he turned it right up and went after GSP verbally but he would need at least one or two fights and to look good in the UFC to build his brand.

It's worth remembering that throughout his entire career Askren has won less than half his fights by decision. He's won almost as many by stoppage as he has on points, so he's hardly Jon Fitch.

If the UFC were serious they could have brought him in and marketed him as the cocky, undefeated champion from another organisation who was coming to the big leagues to finally see if he measured up. The dude has a real ability to make people dislike him, and he'd have projected that in the UFC.

I have never said he wasn't good enough to fight in the UFC but he wasn't coming in as a new guy or even a prospect, he would have wanted top 10-15 money and opponents but unfortunately for him he was a pawn in the whole Bellator Vs UFC thing and it didn't help he was boring to most fans and even reveled in to a paying audience at a Bellator show.

He would have wanted top 10-top 15 money because he was a legit top 10 guy. This wasn't some schmuck blasting out chumps on the regionals, this was an undefeated Olympic level wrestler with gold medals and NCAA accomplishments.

Was he the #1 guy in the division? Of course not, he'd have to prove that, but let's not pretend that he wasn't worthy of top 10-15 level money, because he was.

His style was a grinding style, but again, he wasn't Jon Fitch, who would grind out a result and then cut a "yeah, I'll fight anyone the company want me to" bland interview. Askren would grind an opponent out, laugh in their face, tell the crowd to show him respect then call out someone else.

A few fights with him badmouthing a few fan favourites and the fans would want to see him get smashed. He was essentially a more credentialed Colby Covington, and look where that guy is now. 

He's decisioned himself into an interim title main event against RDA, so it's evident that Askren could easily have made a huge name for himself if Dana hadn't been a dick and had given the guy a chance.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Already addressed this point. It was a tongue-in-cheek, grumpy comment on my part, nothing more. Obviously, I do not think Dana White is worse than a paedophile.

Depends on which one. Dana White never wrote a tune like Ignition (Remix).

I saw this on MMAJunkie regarding a potential GSP vs Askren fight:

Similar to Chael Sonnen’s approach toward his first fight with Anderson Silva at UFC 117, is Askren’s opportunity here. Askren, the two-time NCAA Division I national-champion wrestler, may not have the most appealing style to the casual fan, but the undefeated fighter does have the unabashed confidence to market this match with his intentions to spoil St-Pierre’s party in front of his home country – something that I see selling plenty.

I see Askren more like Sonnen than Covington. Something that Josh Gross re-tweeted recently supports that. With Sonnen and initially McGregor, they mixed in moments of charm and respect. Covington is just constantly obnoxious. There's nothing redeeming or entertaining about him.

I think Askren could be to the UFC in 2018 what Sonnen was to them in mid-2010. He has the potential to be a good panto villain. Not the guy "making fart noises in the classroom". 

Archived