The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's what I didn't get when he came back to fight Hunt at 200.  People were going 'give him a winnable fight' but it was always going to be a one night thing. As far as we knew at the time, that was most likely going to be the last time we saw him in the cage. So to me, I wanted to see him in with a real opponent who brought some risk. If he was coming back full time sure, build him up. As it was the Hunt fight was ideal. It didn't play out as I'd hoped as it was one way traffic. But at the time, most were picking Hunt to KO him so it was a way more intriguing fight than if they'd gave him some jobber.

Same applies this time. I hope he sticks around longer than one fight this time. What is he now, early 40s? He must know that if he's ever going to give one last UFC run a go, it's now or never. He can always go back to WWE in his mid 40s for a big payday when a WrestleMania or SummerSlam rolls around. The sand timer is very much running out on his MMA career though. Maybe a 3-5 fight deal and see what happens. One last run at the title. I don't see him getting back there but it'd be great fun to see him try. And with McGregor pissing about, Rousey gone, Jones being a fuckup, Brock will probably see that this is the perfect opportunity to essentially name his price because they fucking need him at the moment. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

All very true. But if it was a one-and-done deal, then for me the Ngannou match would be the one to make. If I was in charge of match-making, I'd be on the phone to Ngannou's coach, saying "Look, here's the deal - I want to rebuild your guy, and make him the star we wanted him to be, and I think Lesnar would be the best way to make that happen. But that's only going to happen if you get him some elite wrestling coaching. If I see him doing that and improving, I'll toss him a couple of cans. If not, I'm feeding him to Tai Tuivasa the first opportunity I get."

My ideal opponents for Lesnar - assuming I had the money to buy out contracts - would be:

1. CroCop or Bobby Lashley - Mirko for reasons stated, and Lashley for the pro-wrestling and Bellator fan crowd

2. Mark Hunt - the heat for the rematch is there

3. Josh Barnett - amateur wrestler vs. catch wrestler, and the promos would be fun

What I wonder though, is if Lesnar has it in him still? 

You know the old saying, if a fighter is already thinking about retirement then he's already done. Lesnar has said that he "wasn't there mentally" and that he was an "older caveman" or something to that effect two years ago.

He's now two years older, but believes he's ready to come back?

• Paid Members

its bonkers to think that Lesnars initial UFC run was 10 fucking years ago, time flies.

Lesnar must have something left or at least think he does to even consider coming back at this point. I dont wanna see an Ngannou fight though, even at this point id see that as a rinse and repeat of the Hunt fight. I wanna see Lesnar fight a guy who can at least has a shot of defending the takedown.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

its bonkers to think that Lesnars initial UFC run was 10 fucking years ago, time flies.

His UFC debut vs Frank Mir was 10 years ago to the day on Monday just gone. Doesn't seem that long ago. I was only 22 back then :( 

• Paid Members

Cage Warriors Champ Nathanial Wood has signed with the UFC, had to be coming.

I wonder how Cage Warriors feels about constantly losing their Champs, i know they advertise the fact that they've been a proving ground for so many future starts but it must be frustrating.

I really don’t understand Garbrandt getting an immediate rematch. He didn’t even defend his title once and it’s not like it was a split decision loss, TJ finished him!

I’m not even a massive fan of TJ, just pretty fucked up that TJ had to fight his way back into contention.

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Cage Warriors Champ Nathanial Wood has signed with the UFC, had to be coming.

I wonder how Cage Warriors feels about constantly losing their Champs, i know they advertise the fact that they've been a proving ground for so many future starts but it must be frustrating.

I'm sure the cash they get from UFC Fight Pass softens the blow and while they may get TV deals, BT are probably showing it because the UFC deal, which is why Dan Hardy is an analyst for them and they constantly say ready for the UFC level during broadcasts.  its not ideal but LFA and many others in the US basically have to deal with the same stuff and half aren't being paid by the UFC but starter fighters in the UFC $10,000-$10,000 to win is generally more than regional promotion headliners.

• Paid Members

Khabib vs Ferguson - gone. 

Condit vs Brown - gone. 

Golovkin vs Canelo 2 - gone. 

McGregor's marbles - completely fucking gone. 

But at least we get Punk vs Jackson. Everything's going to be alright. 

Zero problem with Punk Vs Mike Jackson, it's basically an old freakshow fight, the guys aren't UFC ready but Punk will recoup his payout with PPV sales and Jackson is just a guy on his level, it's one fight Joe Midcarder might moan but he could be slotted in any card, the guys with a PPV cut won't moan because higher buys means more money for the Champions and I think contenders.

Archived