The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New UFC TV deal with both ESPN & NBC Rumoured, TUF to go away, replaced by Contender Series & new weight classes, 105 lbs girls, 165 lbs men's (meaning 175 would be obvious) 6 PPVs a year & roster splits, basically NBC would have a certain amount & ESPN would have the other half (who aren't on PPV) https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.punditarena.com/mma/ccunningham/the-ufc-are-reportedly-set-for-major-overhaul-following-rumours-of-a-massive-tv-deal/amp/

Both ONE, Rizin & Invicta have enough talent at 105 that could be stole, and we know the talent is massive at 155 & 170.

$360 million and NBC & ESPN cover production, NBC & ESPN get their own rosters they can help market.

http://terezowens.com/breaking-espn-and-nbc-to-split-expanded-ufc-tv-package/

1 hour ago, the_mole said:

New UFC TV deal with both ESPN & NBC Rumoured, TUF to go away, replaced by Contender Series & new weight classes, 105 lbs girls, 165 lbs men's (meaning 175 would be obvious) 6 PPVs a year & roster splits, basically NBC would have a certain amount & ESPN would have the other half (who aren't on PP

I approve of these developments on paper. 

Whether some of them work well in practice or not is another matter. For example, the roster split could end up being a clusterfuck. 

As much as more weight classes means more champions, and that can be a bit of a turn-off for the fans, it's a good thing for the fighters in two ways.

First of all, more weight classes means safer weight cuts (in theory), as fighters have more options available to them. Also, more weight classes means more champions, which means more fighters making better money.

At this point, with how the new ownership seem to be running things, I'm pretty much done thinking about how Championships aren't being treated with respect, or how they seem hellbent on applying the Vince Russo approach to booking.

Fuck it, i'm taking it one event at a time, and just enjoying the fights as they happen. Any other way of looking at it is enough to make your brain explode. 

• Paid Members

So 105 is atom-weight, yes? Which would be perfect for Michelle Waterson and Angela Hill.

What would 165 and 175 be? Welterweight and Super-Welterweight/Junior Middleweight? Or Super-Lightweight and Welterweight? I don't know what the terms are; I was reading about "cruiserweight" the other day, and it seems even the boxing promotions don't agree on whether it's "cruiserweight" or "light-heavyweight".

• Paid Members

Reduced number of PPV's is a non-runner given we don't have to pay for them anyway. More weight classes makes perfect sense as it should mean less drastic cutting & opens up the possibility of more 'super fights'. It might also do away with all these bullshit 'interim' titles. Roster split? Seems like an odd idea but will have to see how it plays out.

The roster split thing should be interesting. I'm thinking they may be looking at having contenders who are outside the top ten compete on TV cards maybe? While the title fights and top contender fights are reserved for PPV's?

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, David said:

The roster split thing should be interesting. I'm thinking they may be looking at having contenders who are outside the top ten compete on TV cards maybe? While the title fights and top contender fights are reserved for PPV's?

That would make the most sense tbf. Or have 1 or 2 weight classes on TV so those viewers still get the odd title match? Not sure how that would work in terms of pay for the fighters though, you might end up getting the shitty end of the stick? 

1 minute ago, Dead Mike said:

That would make the most sense tbf. Or have 1 or 2 weight classes on TV so those viewers still get the odd title match? Not sure how that would work in terms of pay for the fighters though, you might end up getting the shitty end of the stick? 

Thing is, with the way the company is undoubtedly going I think we're going to see those fighters (champions or not) who are able to "move the needle" getting the bigger paycheques and headlining the bigger shows, and if we're honest it's hard to argue with that.

If you generate more money you deserve to make more money, right?

What I'd like to see done is a tiered basic pay system of sorts, where a Champion is guaranteed, say, $500,000 per title defence with $100,000 less if he loses the title. Contenders given a guaranteed purse depending on where they stand in the rankings, such as 1-5, then 5-10 and so on.

With the top ten and the Champions all being paid reasonably well what they could then do is offer decent bonuses for those fighters who can actually sell fights via PPV points, with the main and co-main fighters being eligible for those bonuses.

That kind of system would allow fighters to get paid, but still allow those who work their arses off as far as promotion goes to be rewarded.

It's actually not too far off what they have in place at the moment, just a bit more structured. I'm sure there are holes all over that plan, but still, it's something like what I'd like to see.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I like the idea of a guaranteed minimum for the champ, plus PPV points for both fighters in the mains and co-mains. A good way to incentivise fighters of whatever stripe, showman or not - eventually even the boring-but-good guys will get their title shot, and they'll get bigger cuts for getting themselves into that position, even if it's not as fruitful as what the trash-talkers or highlight-reelers will get.

11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, I like the idea of a guaranteed minimum for the champ, plus PPV points for both fighters in the mains and co-mains. A good way to incentivise fighters of whatever stripe, showman or not - eventually even the boring-but-good guys will get their title shot, and they'll get bigger cuts for getting themselves into that position, even if it's not as fruitful as what the trash-talkers or highlight-reelers will get.

Exactly.

The main wish would be that the guys who are happy to simply win their way to a title and make their $500,000 per defence will not feel pressured into making an arse of themselves by copying McG, while the natural charisma machines will be able to stand out from the crowd and make the money they rightfully deserve.

Everyone wins, essentially.

Archived