The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

GSP and Nate Diaz are in talks to fight at UFC 227. 

It's not really a dream fight in the conventional sense of the term. It's not a match-up that I have spent years mulling over. In fact, I think it's a very favourable match-up in GSP's favour. Unless he's digressed massively, I think he wrestlefucks Diaz for 25 minutes.

However, I am still on-board if it does happen. It's still a massive occasion whenever GSP fights. He hasn't yet reached Anderson Silva territory, where it is no longer a novelty to see him fight. GSP has yet to go on a losing streak and his absence over the past 4 years has made the heart grow fonder for him. 

Edit: Ohhh, I like a Rockhold vs Gusty match-up. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think Gus fucks Rockhold up if he's on the form he was in his last fight against Glover. These layoffs for Gus are no good though and you never know, Rockhold moving up to 205 might be a good move for him. He's a huge middleweight. Never heard that he had big problems making 185 but it must've been a rough cut on him. 

GSP is going for records. He's the thinking man's Conor McGregor in a way. While McGregor is just bothered about the money, GSP is mapping out a plan that could see him cement his legacy as the GOAT for decades to come, while getting paid handsomely for it. He mightn't have made as much dough as McGregor when all's said and done but he'll still be fucking minted and he'll retire with dignity and a collection of titles and broken records. Meanwhile, McGregor will probably burn through his millions and end up weeping on Celebrity Big Brother in a few years time while Ainsley Harriot and Pat Butcher console him. 

• Paid Members

Has there ever been a division so stacked with star power and ability, if GSP decides to take a few fights at 155? The amount of mouth-watering matches is just a little too much excitement to take in; does not feel real.

Obviously, Nate v GSP will be massive, partly because they're both stars, but they can play up the Nick Diaz feud big time. Hopefully Nick makes a few appearances to heat it up. It's a massive fight, rather than a dream fight for sure, but it's exactly what I'm after.

If GSP does well, then you've obviously got GSP v Khabib/Conor/Tony depending on how things play out. I imagine GSP will get the winner of Conor v Khabib, should both men fight before the year is done. I suppose if Khabib bests Conor, they can go with Nate v Conor too. So much money to be made from so many incredible big time fights.

5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Never heard that he had huge problems making 185 but it must've been a rough cut on him. 

He's been talking about moving up for a while. Even before the Romero fight he said the move was "imminent" because he was getting older and the weight cut was getting harder. Losing to Romero probably made the decision to move up easy for him. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

What's going on with Nick Diaz actually? He's cleared to fight again now, isn't he? I hope that Bisping fight happens. 

Aye, but he just doesn't seem arsed at all. Fair enough, he got paid and that, but it's just a shame because he was brilliant.

28 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

He's been talking about moving up for a while. Even before the Romero fight he said the move was "imminent" because he was getting older and the weight cut was getting harder. Losing to Romero probably made the decision to move up easy for him. 

Yeah. Rockhold is a big dude too and you can guess by how lean he is that it must be a right bugger to maintain. I suppose he also sees that DC is meant to be done in under a years time, and the rest of the year may be fighting at HW should DC beat Stipe. It's the right move. Where as MW is maybe second to the LW division in regards to depth, LHW is shallow as fook and badly needs some fresh meat in there. 

2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

but it's just a shame because he was brilliant.

Funnily enough, I had a look at Nick's MMA record the other day. It was more impressive than I remembered. The worst fighter he lost to was Joe Riggs. All his other losses in the UFC and Elite XC were excusable to an extent. He was never close to being the best fighter in the world, and he always had his shortcomings as a fighter. But he was also pretty darn good when matched with the right opponent. 

His wins over Lawler, Gomi and Daley were particularly impressive. 

• Paid Members

GSP Vs Nate Diaz? Sign me up right away. If the UFC can put that fight together, then the summer is suddenly hot as hell, with what they have going on between the beginning of July and the end of August.

I'm not worried that stylistically there is a good chance that it looks like a carbon copy of GSP Vs Nick Diaz. Getting two of the top 5/6 biggest stars in the sport back, on the one night, to fight each other in the sports premier division, would be a huge boost for UFC. Win or lose for GSP and Diaz, that fight leaves them both with endless possibilities in the weight class afterwards. 

Gustafsson Vs Rockhold is another big time fight as well. Those two fights along with Dillashaw Vs Garbrandt would make an incredible card. I'm picking Gusty all day in that one though. Whilst I think Rockhold matches up well with a large amount of the guys in the division, I don't see Gusty being one of those guys. 

• Paid Members

UFC have signed a deal with ESPN +, which is ESPN's over-the-top service and a way to grab money back from their plummeting cable subscription numbers. According to Forbes, they're paying the UFC $150M annually for 15 "fight nights". To put that number into context, FOX are apparently paying the UFC $120M annually for their current deal. The current owners are after upwards of $400M annually for their proper telly package, with rumours FOX offered about half that.

• Paid Members

No, there's still some work to be done as far as the other 25-28 events they have and how those will be broadcasted. It's still possible that UFC go with the option of reducing the PPV schedule, putting 3-4 events on Fight Pass, and then finding a regular Television station to show the other 15-20 events of the year. 

I'm undecided if this is a good thing for them or not. On one hand, it's much more money guaranteed for less than half of their shows per year. As well as that you have the platform of ESPN pushing your content all over Sports Center which is worth a lot when it comes to general awareness of the product. On the other hand, it places an extra hurdle in the path of those who want to watch and follow your product. The harder and less accessible a product is to sample/follow, the less inclined people are to go out of their way to do so. 

I wouldn't be that surprised to see UFC go with Fox for their TV shows, drop a few PPV's in favour of extra Big Fox shows due to the increased rights fees, and Fox will be able to spend money to acquire WWE TV rights fee's, due to not forking out the full amount of cash (350-400m?) that UFC were looking for their full broadcasting rights. 

What I haven't heard about this deal, if it has been mentioned anywhere, does this include ESPN doing the production or are UFC still keeping that in house? 

They will sign with Fox, NBC or Turner later this year for about 20 events and about 6 PPVs 

ESPN don't want just shit shows, they are showing Crawford-Horn on ESPN+ so they want big fights but obviously not your super fights, the UFC can stack a few cards a year and then have people like DJ and Amanda Nunes, headline these ESPN+ cards, basically the card this Saturday will be ESPN+ like. 

300,000 buys at $30 (PPV company gets other $30) is $9 million, they will basically get $10 million a card from ESPN (The contenders show won't cost much to air)

Top Rank bought the rights to  Amir Khan's last fight, even though, they don't promote him and that was to fill a hole in the fights they promised ESPN+, So they may even be willing to show some European UFC, which is usually stuck on Fight Pass or Sunday Nights, they can show it on ESPN+

Archived