The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fuck, that's one of the best FOX cards ever, IMO, just on the strength of those 3 fights. Guessing Alvarez vs Poirier will headline. Hope it does anyway. It's always nice to have 5 rounds for a fight like that, just incase they're needed. 

• Paid Members

That's an incredible lineup for the Fox card, if it all ends up happening. UFC must be trying to make it up to Calgary after the disappointment of a show the last time they were there.

I'm glad they are going with Alvarez Vs Poirier II. The pair were having a great fight up until they had that inconclusive ending following the illegal knee. Their issue needs resolving Hopefully that happens here. 

• Paid Members

Fuck! Was really looking forward to Zabit vs Yair as well. 

Seems harsh sacking him. Plenty of fighters turn down fights and don't get binned. But there must be more to this. He hasn't fought in a year now, the loss to Frankie Edgar was last May. Maybe he's turned down a bunch of fights, more than just the two mentioned. Usually I side with the fighter in these situations but you've got to fight someone. If you keep refusing fights then what are you there for? 

• Paid Members

Maybe. You have to think Coker's been on the dog and bone to him already. He'd be a great addition to Bellator's roster. And it's not like he's some ageing name, Yair is pretty much a baby in MMA but he's got all the potential in the world. 

Oh yeah, what's all this shite about 50 Cent wanting to fight Rampage Jackson? 

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Fuck! Was really looking forward to Zabit vs Yair as well. 

Seems harsh sacking him. Plenty of fighters turn down fights and don't get binned. But there must be more to this. He hasn't fought in a year now, the loss to Frankie Edgar was last May. Maybe he's turned down a bunch of fights, more than just the two mentioned. Usually I side with the fighter in these situations but you've got to fight someone. If you keep refusing fights then what are you there for? 

If you are not injured, the UFC need to offer you fights, at least every 4 months or they have to pay you but if you turn down fights your contract gets longer (same amount of fights, just if you have 2 years, you can't sit out 2 years and leave and if you retire they freeze your contract.

• Paid Members

is this the first time the UFC has cut a fighter for refusing a fight? i'd imagine it's happened down the card and it's never been newsworthy, but Rodriguez is one of the top prospects in the sport, really can't think of another situation like this?

I always thought Zabit v Yair would be a great fight, but a very bad match up for Yair given the hammering he took from Frankie Edgar, who is also a team mate of Zabit.

I don't know how many fights he's turned down or why but it seems harsh to me. I really think they pushed him too soon and needed to beat up two or three more scrubs before getting the likes of Edgar or Lamas. 

The Diaz brothers have been up to their old tricks again this past week. Nate had an altercation with Clay Guida on Friday evening at an event in Los Angeles. It's been said that Nate pushed Guida from behind and then slapped one of Gudia's teammates who tried to calm things down. 

Earlier in the week, Nate posted on Facebook that Nick's IV was poisoned before his 2013 fight with GSP. TMZ caught up with Nick a few days ago, and he has this to say:

Chuck Liddell has just announced on the MMA Hour that he’s officially unretired and is Going to face Tito Ortiz under the Golden Boy banner in November 

He said he hopes to fight 2-3 times and then fight Jon Jones.... because wait for it.... he thinks he can beat him

Liddell was at his peak from 2004 until 2006. He had finally fulfilled his potential by training properly. On paper, that version of Liddell could draw Jones into a striking battle, given his strong takedown defence. The blueprint to beat Jones is through boxing, something that Liddell was quite good at for MMA standards. Despite all that, I still think Jones would have wrecked that version of Liddell. Jones is just too big and has too much of a reach advantage. I just can't see past Jones landing an elbow or high kick at some point that would have left Chuck on shaky legs. The current version of Chuck would struggle to stay upright against a strong breeze. 

Gusty is the only Light-Heavyweight past or present that has the the game to beat Jones. It's not that Gusty is a better fighter than Cormier. It's more that styles make fights, and Gusty matches up with Jones much better than Cormier did. He has the boxing and height to give Jones fits - which he did when they fought in 2013. You could make a case that Gusty deserved to win that evening. 

• Paid Members

I'm not sure how long Jon Jones will stick around LHW for when he comes back - poor Gust. Jones has said that he needs the big fights because he's not really had a massive income over the past 3 years or so - certainly not near the level he should have earned anyway. It's the reason he's bothered about Lesnar. His big fights are probably at HW, seeing as DC may finish his career at HW and Brock, plus Stipe may do good numbers if they push it they it should be.

Anyway, if Chuck gets some good coin for his brain trauma, then I suppose it may be worth it for him. Not sure how many buys that fight draws. The Jones talk is mental, but it's the sort of mad talk that gets headlines.

Archived