The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing with ESPN & NBC "owning fighters" means they have a say on who gets pushed and who doesn't, so guys don't just get flip flopped from company to company, you will have ESPN acting like HBO does with their guys and vice versa with NBC & Showtime.

Europe may get more fights, NBC & NBCSN shows the Premier league half a year of NASCAR & full NHL season and normal NBC is capable of running 8-11 unlike Fox who are only meant to run 8-10 then local news kicks in, ESPN2 will show majority of ESPN UFC stuff including classics but obviously ESPN is easiest the number one Sports Network and especially for normal ESPN & PPV fights they will promote them massively, leading to bigger sales/ratings.

SHIT! So many fights on it that I'd forgotten about. Card of the year contender, this will be. 

Whittaker - Romero 

RDA - Covington

Overeem - Blaydes

Holm - Anderson

Benavidez - Pettis

Gadelha - Esparza 

Arlovski - Tuivasa

Rashad v Smith

Coulter v Crowder

Santiago v Ige 

Lamas - Bektic 

Punk - Jackson 

• Paid Members

Jesus I can't figure out what five fights will end up on the PPV portion of that card. Maybe:

Whittaker Vs Romero

RDA Vs Covington

Overeem Vs Blaydes

Holm Vs Anderson

Punk Vs Jackson

Then on the FS1 portion you could have:

Arlovski Vs Tuivasa

Benavidez Vs Pettis

Lamas Vs Bektic

Gadelha Vs Esparza

• Paid Members

It's where he's at these days unfortunately. Every other fight in my post has more relavance (apart from Punk Vs Jackson - which is booked to sell tickets and PPV's so it has to be on the PPV portion) with the exception of Santiago's fight and Coulter's. That's not to say that UFC won't put him on FS1 though and bump somebody else to Fight Pass, but they shouldn't. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'll have the 225 thread up today or tomorrow so was looking up the card earlier. Ridiculous card. And a couple of really good fights on there that I didn't know were booked. 

Rashad is so done though. It's a shame but that time comes for every fighter. He hasn't looked good since battering Chael. 5 years ago. He just doesn't have it anymore. He's such a likeable guy, he's great as a FOX analyst, one of my favourites. And I think he would be a fantastic addition to the colour commentary rotating squad. He's shown qualities of an excellent trainer with his work with some of the Blackzilians guys in the past and his TUF stint, if he wanted to go the coach route. There's a lot he can still offer and add to the sport other than fighting but it seems he hasn't fully got it out of his system yet, plus the extra money must be hard hi give up too. I hope he stops soon though. It's been hard to watch his decline the last few years. 

Anyone going up to Liverpool for the Fight Night card from London?  Looking at trains on the day, they are heavily delayed (3-5 hours instead 2hr15 / 2hr30) and about 86 GBP return.  I fly into Heathrow on the Saturday night.  Thinking of getting the Megabus up if no better option.   If anyone's going up via car with space for a little one who would part with petrol money (with a big suitcase), pm me. 

7 hours ago, OzExile said:

Anyone going up to Liverpool for the Fight Night card from London?  Looking at trains on the day, they are heavily delayed (3-5 hours instead 2hr15 / 2hr30) and about 86 GBP return.  I fly into Heathrow on the Saturday night.  Thinking of getting the Megabus up if no better option.   If anyone's going up via car with space for a little one who would part with petrol money (with a big suitcase), pm me. 

I checked train prices from the midlands last week and they were all direct trains for £29 return. Now there still the same price with 2-3 changes. Some taking 3 hours. I'm presuming because it's a bank holiday weekend theve decided to do some engineering works and the liverpool line is effected. That's the only thing I could think of.

i wasn't sure what time trains to get so I phoned the echo arena today and they said gates open at 1.30pm and the first fight is 2.30pm .They said that's the times theve been given but it could change. Wonder why it's an afternoon card here, won't that make it really early in the states?

10 hours ago, bono said:

I checked train prices from the midlands last week and they were all direct trains for £29 return. Now there still the same price with 2-3 changes. Some taking 3 hours. I'm presuming because it's a bank holiday weekend theve decided to do some engineering works and the liverpool line is effected. That's the only thing I could think of.

i wasn't sure what time trains to get so I phoned the echo arena today and they said gates open at 1.30pm and the first fight is 2.30pm .They said that's the times theve been given but it could change. Wonder why it's an afternoon card here, won't that make it really early in the states?

Kin ell. Looks like it's the Megabus, whoop dee fucking doo.

I assume the police have decided it can't go on any later than 10pm or so? The main card will probably start at 6 or 7pm, so not too early for the States.

In the event that Liverpool win the Champions League the night before - there will be a bus tour around the city, wonder if they'll leave it until the Monday though. 

Archived