The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ah fuck sake. I noticed that fight had been made and thought 'that's a lovely piece of booking right there. I'm looking forward to see how this plays out'. Yeah, screw that for a game of darts. 

Nick Diaz is in the shit:

According to multiple reports, Nick Diaz has allegedly been arrested and charged with felony domestic battery by strangulation, as well as misdemeanor domestic battery. The news was first reported on Twitter by mixed martial arts personality Front Row Brian.

MMA Junkie later reported that an unnamed person within the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department identified the arrested party as Ultimate Fighting Championship fighter Nick Diaz. The victim was female and was transported to a local hospital.

According to MMAJunkie, Diaz was allegedly combative with officers during the arrest and his bail was set at $18,000. He reportedly remains in custody and will likely post bail after a court hearing scheduled for Saturday at 9 a.m. PT.

“UFC is aware of the recent arrest of middleweight athlete, Nick Diaz,” stated the promotion on Friday evening. “The organization does not tolerate domestic violence and requires all athletes to adhere to the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy. Every athlete is deserving of due process and this situation, as with any official allegations, will be duly reviewed and thoroughly investigated by an independent party.”

TMZ are reporting that Diaz's accuser has said that he was on cocaine when the assault happened. 

1 hour ago, Chunk said:

McGregor looking for a new fight then?

Why? He was never going to fight Nick anyway, he's a Welterweight. At this point I think a Khabib fight does basically the same numbers and the Nate fight can happen anytime.

Bisping has decided against having another fight and has officially announced his retirement from MMA competition. 

“You can’t do it forever. I’ve done it for a long time. Of course, I’ve got issues with my eye. After the Gastelum fight, I started having issues with my good eye, which I’ve never spoken about before,” he said.

“After the Gastelum fight I went to a party afterwards with all my team and friends that had flown in to watch. We went to a club, and because it’s dark, I just kept seeing this flash out of the corner of my good eye. I just kept looking….then I realize, there’s no flash, it’s just my eye. Every time I looked left, it flashes. It still does it now when it’s dark.”

Bisping went to see a doctor shortly thereafter and was told that he had a vitreous detachment in his left eye. Although a vitreous detachment doesn’t usually threaten one’s sight, it can occasionally lead to a detached retina. Even with that knowledge, Bisping had toyed with the possibility of competing at UFC Fight Night London or UFC Fight Night Liverpool for one last sendoff, even against the wishes of those close to him.

“So I said I was going to be done fighting, but I did contemplate another fight in London,” he said. “That never happened. Probably a good thing. Everybody told me not to fight. I was actually negotiating with the UFC to fight Rashad Evans in London. It’s probably a good thing that never happened.”

Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/ExUFC-Champ-Michael-Bisping-Elects-to-Skip-Farewell-Fight-Officially-Announces-Retirement-137397#jVtcoeYwHfF9Pr6t.99

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, the_mole said:

Why? He was never going to fight Nick anyway, he's a Welterweight. At this point I think a Khabib fight does basically the same numbers and the Nate fight can happen anytime.

Oops. May have read 'Nick' as 'Nate'. 😳

• Paid Members

In an odd turnaround, it seems Yair Rodriguez is back in the UFC and the fight with Zabit Magomedsharipov is back on for UFC 228 in September. It's been confirmed by Sherdog, MMAJunkie etc. 

Wonder what's gone on there then. 

• Paid Members

That's a bit of a surprise. Unsurprisingly, they have taken the weird decision to put the fight involving a rising Russian star on that month's PPV rather than that month's promotional debut Fight Night in Russia. 

• Paid Members

Didn't even think of that. What IS actually going to be on that Russia card? I always assumed that when they finally went there, Khabib would be headlining. But now Khabib's the champ i can't see him defending the belt on Fight Nights. 

Really thinking about it, of the options, Zabit vs Yair probably would've been the best choice to headline the Russia show. 

Archived