The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article by Meltzer on Evans, Bisping and Koscheck - https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/7/3/17517428/josh-koscheck-rashad-evans-and-michael-bisping-all-leave-major-footprints-on-the-growth-of-the-sport

It's an okay read. But there are few things in it that I disagree with. 

Firstly on TUF 2 and Rashad:

Like Koscheck, and even more Bisping, Evans in his prime would be heavily booed in every fight. His crime was first raising the ire of Hughes, whose hard working farmer-turned-powerhouse fighter narrative made him popular with the masses. Then Evans, in succession, knocked out the two most popular fighters in the company at the time in Liddell and Griffin, the latter winning him the light heavyweight title.

I don't remember that being the case at all. If anything, Hughes's appearances on TUF 2, TUF 4 and TUF 6 made him unpopular with the masses. He wasn't Colby Covington. People wanted to watch him fight to see him get his ass kicked. He was more of a panto villain than anything. But he was hardly a fan favourite. Rogan even once said on air that Hughes wasn't known for being a nice person, or something to that effect. 

Hughes himself was fully aware of how he was perceived. He complained about the editing on TUF making him look bad. 

While always controversial because of how brash he is, Bisping is likely to remain with the sport as a colorful broadcaster, probably as a legend, and as a surefire Hall of Famer. Evans, who beat both Griffin and Bisping, should probably be viewed as the best fighter ever to come out of The Ultimate Fighter. He’s done analyst work for the sport, and fared well. He’s not a surefire Hall of Famer, but his career is very worthy of discussion at that level.

I fail to see how Bisping is a surefire Hall of Famer and Rashad isn't. 

Bisping has the better story to tell, given the latter stages of his career. And Rashad's career ended on a sour note. But that shouldn't define their respective careers. As Meltzer says himself, Evans should probably be viewed as the best fighter to come out of the entire TUF series. He beat prime versions of Griffin, Phil Davis, Bisping and Rampage, and live versions of Hendo and Liddell. His most notable losses are not that bad either. Machida was a terrible style match-up for him. The Jones loss is irrelevant because of the size differential (and it being Jon Jones). If Meltzer is judging it on relevance or drawing power, then he should remember how well Rashad's fights with Griffin and Rampage did at the box office. 

Both of them are surefire Hall Of Famers. 

• Paid Members

Yep, both go in surely. Rashads last few years have really dampened perceptions of his legacy which is pretty disappointing.

I was under the impression that Vitor retired after Lyoto but I heard somewhere this week that he has zero plans to retire.

• Paid Members

You're right Egg he definitely retired after Machida kicked his face off in May. Did the whole leaving his gloves in the Octagon bit and everything. Lasted all of 6 weeks or something. You always got the feeling with Belfort that it wouldn't stick though. Hopefully Rashad's and Bisping's retirements do. 

And yeah I completely agree Jim. Rashad deserves it. I mean, I love Matt Serra but if he's gone in almost purely on the strength of one win (albeit a humungous upset vs GSP, granted) then I don't see why Rashad wouldn't with a much stronger résumé. Bisping's career ended better despite going out on 2 losses, because his fairytale 2016 was still quite fresh in the memory and he wasn't losing to undercard guys like Rashad's depressing defeats to Alvey, Kelly and Smith. But Rashad is also a former UFC champ and, actually, probably has a better list of wins than Bisping does. Among them, a win over Bisping himself. Not just that, he's provided a lot of entertainment over the years. Whether it be on TUF 2, his fantastic stint as coach on TUF 10, his part in the Jon Jones rivalry (which people forget, that buildup was incredible, despite the actual fight not being the best), his superb work as an analyst. Rashad has more than earned the HOF honour.

I'm glad that he finally seemed to win the crowd around in the end as well. He was booed for a lot of his career but his last few fights, despite losing fight after fight, the fans seemed to have really warmed to him. It was noticeable when he walked out for the weigh ins and especially during his walkout and Buffer intro at 225 for the Smith fight. I think TUF 10 and his analyst work did a lot of that. They were probably the two things that most changed the perception of him. I know I liked him a lot more because of how well he came across on both. 

13 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

his fantastic stint as coach on TUF 10, 

Oh, Rashad was fantastic on TUF 10. He came across much better than Rampage did. I think it was Lamby who posted on here that Rampage should not have been cheered against Rashad. 

I think Meltzer was partially right that one of the reasons fans took time to warm to Rashad was because he beat Chuck and Griffin - two massive fan favourites. 

• Paid Members

Definitely. Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin were arguably the UFC's two biggest fan favourites on the entire roster between 2005 and 2008. And Rashad knocked them both out. And the timing of those losses didn't help either. When he KO'd Chuck, it was after Rampage had ended Chuck's title reign and he'd rebounded by winning that awesome dream fight against Wandy. Everyone thought he was back on the title track. I'm sure the MMA sites were reporting at the time that if he beat Rashad he was getting another title shot. So Rashad killed that stone dead. Then he took the title off Forrest in Forrest's very first title defence. Forrest winning the title as a popular and likeable (at the time) underdog TUF winner was a feel-good story the likes of which you rarely get in MMA. Then Rashad ended it before it even got going. On top of all that, by KOing Chuck he fucked up the ultimate babyface title match of Griffin vs Liddell that was lining up for that big December PPV in 2008.

He really did scupper plans that year. I can see why some disliked him because of that. I wasn't exactly a fan of his until TUF 10 myself. I thought going into that season, that I'd be all for Team Rampage, especially when I saw they'd got Kimbo. But Rashad was a revelation on that show in how sound he seemed and Rampage came off like a massive twat. It was almost like the old Bret Hart/Stone Cold double turn. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, the only argument for Weidman getting the shot over Gastelum was that Weidman has a win over Gastelum. But that's it. It's not enough for me. Gastelum's knocked out Bisping and beat Jacare since then and Weidman's done nothing in that time. The division can't stand still because of results of fights that happened in the past. The equivalent would be like saying Joseph Duffy deserves the shot at Khabib more than Conor McGregor because he has a win over McGregor. Doesn't work like that. Weidman needs more activity. I'd like to see Weidman vs Jacare actually. 

Plus I think Whittaker vs Gastelum is the better fight anyway. 

Wonder what's next for Yoel Romero? 

• Paid Members

Maybe but I'm not that into that. I'd rather a fresh fight between Weidman and Jacare. Romero was on about 205 as well so maybe he takes a fight there next? If not, Romero vs a David Branch or Thiago Santos at 185 wouldn't upset me. 

• Paid Members

Branch is angling for a fight with Jacare, im up for that one. Branch believes he can hang with Jacare on the ground, i dont think anyone has ever openly challenged Jacare like that, i wanna see it.

Archived