The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

They've already added Serie A, La Liga, Eredivisie and a bunch of other stuff.

They'll have 2 channels available amongst the sport channels sections of sky/virgin etc.. (one is pure football, one is the other stuff they have) as well as a streaming service.

They've previously ran elsewhere as a streaming service, but the feeling is the UK market isn't at the same place with cord cutting as the rest of the world, for whatever reason.

Any idea what channel it is on Virgin Media as I can't find it anywhere.

19 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I tried to keep track of it, but it got a bit incoherent at times. Was Sonnen having a go at Helwani for claiming he could promote better than the UFC? Because whilst I get where Helwani's coming from, using stats to gauge interest, there's a massive gulf between analysis and acting on analyses. I don't like Sonnen, and he could've made his point here better without yelling over Helwani, but he's probably right in this instance.

Sonnen doesn't think that Helwani understands the business side of MMA. It seems that Helwani's idea to market Nunes as a Mike Tyson-esque figure didn't go down well with Chael. Helwani responded, probably tongue in cheek, that he could do a better job promoting that any of the current MMA promoters. 

I had grown tired of Chael. His act had grown stale and desperate. But I am quite enjoying his tandem with Helwani. It's reinvigorated him

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Sonnen doesn't think that Helwani understands the business side of MMA. It seems that Helwani's idea to market Nunes as a Mike Tyson-esque figure didn't go down well with Chael. Helwani responded, probably tongue in cheek, that he could do a better job promoting that any of the current MMA promoters. 

I had grown tired of Chael. His act had grown stale and desperate. But I am quite enjoying his tandem with Helwani. It's reinvigorated him

Oh, I agree that Sonnen is enjoyable as a pundit and commentator - the guy is charismatic, no doubt. I just don't like him as a person.

In fairness to Helwani, any suggestion of marketing Nunes at all makes him automatically better than whomever it was responsible for promoting Nunes/Rousey. I mean it was just bloody non-existent.

• Paid Members

I like Chael but he's been so fucking annoying lately with all the 'you can't give away the secrets of the business/let people see behind the curtain' shit. He's bitched about Rogan doing it and Schaub, now he's banging on at Ariel about how fighters should be promoted. Change the sodding record. He clearly wishes he was in the pro wrestling business because almost all he talks about lately is MMA in pro wrestling terms. I get that there is a crossover and similarities. Fine. But Chael's been insufferable with it lately. Nearly every time I've gone onto YouTube there's a video being recommended to me of Chael moaning about people 'revealing the secrets of the business' while he openly talks about those 'secrets of the business' for 20 cunting minutes. If there were any MMA fans left who weren't sure if Colby Covington was playing a gimmick or not, or if DC and Brock were hamming it up to sell their eventual PPV, Chael has done more to reveal and draw attention to it than anything Joe Rogan or Twatface Schaub have said. 

• Paid Members

Why can't people give away the "secrets of the business"? What difference would it make? If you're a fan, it's extra dressing, and if you're an MMA fighter it's not exactly a quick route to success, is it? You'd still have to put in the requisite work and have the necessary talent to get there in first place to even begin to apply what you know about "behind the curtain".

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Helwani reporting that the UFC is likely to strip Colby Covington and go with Woodley/Till next. What is going on?

I saw that fight only a few weeks ago and I'd already totally forgotten he held the interim belt. I actually had to double check on wiki because I thought you might've made a mistake. Goes to show just how completely and utterly pointless these interim belts are.

17 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

If there were any MMA fans left who weren't sure if Colby Covington was playing a gimmick or not,

Not that it matters because he's shit either way, but I have read some stuff that suggests Covington is not completely playing a gimmick. He's meant to have always been a bellend dating back to his college days. His collegiate wrestling career suffered because he couldn't keep his nose clean. Of course, he's hamming it up for the cameras to gain notoriety. But he probably means a lot of what he says. 

Despite all this, Covington shouldn't be stripped unless he's done something reprehensible that has been kept quiet. At the very least, he's earned the right to fight Woodley for the main belt. His win over RDA was very impressive. 

• Paid Members

I dunno if im the only one but ive warmed to Covington since the RDA win. First i think him proving himself in the cage helped, but i just respect the effort hes putting in to make himself stand out. It aint for everyone but it is for me.

Also, Donald Cerrone vs. Mike Perry in November. Excellent fight.

I can admire his ability as a fighter. I don't get the same feeling watching him fight as I get when watching the likes of GSP, Holloway, Khabib fight. He isn't a once in a generation fighter or anything (I hope), but he is very good at what he does. 

His personality does nothing for me though. In fact, it actually detracts from my enjoyment of MMA. It's worked for him to some extent. But it's benefited very few others. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, making himself stand out is all well and good but that's not enough and I find that an odd reason to like him. Ian Huntley stood out as well but you wouldn't want that cunt round for Sunday dinner either.

Covington draws attention to himself in the way an STD does. Of course you will know it's there but that's because it's annoying and you want it gone.

• Paid Members

Just a heads up for anyone recording the Shogun vs Smith Fight Night that's on right now. It's pretty much a cert that it's going to run long. It's only listed until 10 and there's still two fights left. So if you haven't already you'll want to set the program after it to record. 

Archived