The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

The one fight that ticked all the boxes was Bisping, but Diaz has pissed about so long that Bisping has won the title, lost the title and retired since the fight was first talked about a few years ago. Shame. 

Yeah, the Bisping fight would have been ideal. 

I think Diaz would have also been interested in fighting Romero for the Middleweight Championship. It would have been one hell of a spectacle. But obviously, the decision didn't go Romero's way against Whittaker.

4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

The fights I'm thinking of are all outside the UFC. Diaz vs Wanderlei, Diaz vs Sonnen, Diaz vs Daley 2, fuck it Diaz vs Liddell.

If Golden Boy stay in the MMA game and throw a load of cash Diaz's way, then who knows? Some of those fights might actually happen. In particular, Diaz vs Liddell. Of course, Nick would have to cut ties with the UFC to take those fights. Which he probably doesn't want to do. He's sitting pretty at the minute. 

Dana:

“We’ve been offering Nate Diaz fights for however long,” he said during the latest episode of UFC Unfiltered. In his contract - and Nick Diaz’s - I have to give them three fights a year. Per the contract, I need to give them three fights a year. If I fail to give them three fights a year, I have to pay them. “I have honoured my contract with those guys, they keep turning down the fights, which extends the contracts.

• Paid Members

It's not my line, I saw it on Twitter, but this sums Diaz up perfectly:

"Nick Diaz defending the old-school sanctity of fistfighting in a world of WWE theatrics while calling for a title shot three weight classes up and seven years removed from his last win is peak Nick Diaz."

• Paid Members

:laugh: Diaz all over, that. 

Apologies if it's been posted already but Cris Cyborg vs Amanda Nunes is looking likely for UFC 232, which is the big New Years PPV on December 29th. Nunes has signed the contract already, just waiting on Cyborg now.

image.jpg

Edit - Fuck me, BJPenn.com is reporting that Frankie Edgar vs Korean Zombie is in the works for UFC 229 in October. Hope that's true. 

• Paid Members

I forgot to post it here but a few weeks ago Cyborg was retweeting Eddie Hearn and quoted him saying something like "the US takeover continues", got me thinking that maybe there was a chance she was signing with Eddie to box. Katie Taylor boxes around the same weight, i wouldnt be surprised to be that set up.

• Paid Members

Cheers Chunk. 

Thinking about how late 2018/early 2019 are shaping up, we could be in for a really special run of PPVs around that time. 

Pure ideal world/fantasy booking bollocks here but...

Nov - UFC 230 at MSG - Can see Khabib vs McGregor possibly landing on this one. I know the talk was for 229 in October but you'd think they'll see MSG as a better fit. They're currently 2-0 for knocking it out of the park at the Garden and you know they'll want to come with something big again here. And it doesn't get much bigger than Conor McGregor coming back to face the wrath of Khabib. And in New York, where so much of the backstory has taken place. I know a lot of things need to fall into place for this to happen but it's got to be the plan, right? It just fits. 

Dec - UFC 231 in Toronto - Like I said, fantasy booking. But if you're back in Canada on PPV, who you gonna call? No, not the Ghostbusters. GS motherfucking P! Don't know how realistic this is because I've heard zero regarding a timetable for GSP's return. But it's nice to think about. He hasn't fought in Canada since he spanked Nick Diaz for 25 minutes over 5 years ago. Do GSP vs Woodley. Fuck Colby Covington and the interim belt he spunks on at bedtime. GSP's the Don at 170. Always was, always will be. Or if Woodley's not available let GSP discipline Covington. Actually, that would be even better. MMA's ultimate babyface curing the 170lb title picture of the Covington virus. 

Dec - UFC 232 - New Years PPV - They've always traditionally tried to make the New Years show a bit special. Not sure what makes sense for this one. Cyborg vs Nunes looks likely and they'd no doubt stack the undercard up. Maybe a double header with Whittaker vs Gastelum or something? When's Jon Jones back? 

Jan - UFC 233 - And it's early days yet but from what we can tell, January is doable for the Cormier vs Lesnar handbags to get settled. 

Of course, it's MMA. I'm not actually expecting this to work out. But can you fucking imagine a Fantastic Four consecutive PPVs of that quality? When the weakest is a Cyborg/Nunes and Whittaker/Gastelum double header it says it all. 

Dana claimed a few weeks back that talks were ongoing with GSP and Nate Diaz to fight one another. I think the UFC would like that to headline the Toronto show. They could maybe have the Woodley/Covington unification bout as chief support. I actually don't want GSP to fight Covington or Woodley. I don't like Woodley, and like almost everyone else, I can't stand Covington. But both are top-level fighters. GSP would have had no problem beating both of them in his prime, but I am not convinced that he is the same fighter these days. I would hate for Woodley or Covington to beat him. I don't want either to get the rub. 

Jones will probably learn his fate at the end of this month according to Malki Kawa. Pure fantasy booking, but if USADA do indeed let Jones off lightly, I would like to see him rematch Gusty at 205lbs for his return bout, or fight Miocic at Heavyweight. Both of those fights would have my full interest. 

I saw something McGregor put up about a training base in Russia? Building out his own base there? 

BTW wand - I have zero interest in GSP vs Colby Covington. For so many reasons: 

1 - I couldn't bare the thought of CC's cheap bad guy taunts to the GOAT gentleman in the build up 

2 - I wouldn't give CC the pleasure of that huge fight 

3 - I wouldn't be surprised if CC won 

Just when you were all For Fucks Sake'd out, Chris Leben is coming out of retirement for a bare knuckle fight against Phil Baroni

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/7/17/17583460/chris-leben-coming-out-of-retirement-to-fight-phil-baroni-in-bare-knuckle-match

Big Joe Joyce would school the pair of them.

Archived