The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Robert Whittaker is out until at least early next year with his hand injuries, according to an article up on MMA fighting. He's targeting February now for his fight with Gastelum, and the pair of them are coaching a season of TUF beforehand.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Sorry for the double post, but Anderson Silva will be back a little bit earlier than I think many of us thought:

https://www.f4wonline.com/ufc-news/anderson-silva-eligible-return-fall-after-usada-confirms-contaminated-supplements-261941

He can return in early November. Unsurprisingly, he still wants to fight, despite being 43 and massively on a downward slide. There are certainly fights he can win, in the UFC and outside it. With his name value though he's unlikely to get a chance to face many of the fighters that he'd be able to beat at this stage. There's a list of killers in that division that I'm sure have their sights set on him. 

• Paid Members

The Bellator WW Grand Prix line up was initially posted in the Other MMA thread but it can go in here...

Paul Daley will fight MVP in the opening round. The Grand Prix will launch on DAZN in America so they are gonna try and hit this one big. The lineup is tremendous, not really sure how its gonna work with 10 men though.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Just when you were all For Fucks Sake'd out, Chris Leben is coming out of retirement for a bare knuckle fight against Phil Baroni

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/7/17/17583460/chris-leben-coming-out-of-retirement-to-fight-phil-baroni-in-bare-knuckle-match

Big Joe Joyce would school the pair of them.

Leben is soaking his fists in petrol as we speak.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

An amusing back and forth between Helwani and Sonnen:

I tried to keep track of it, but it got a bit incoherent at times. Was Sonnen having a go at Helwani for claiming he could promote better than the UFC? Because whilst I get where Helwani's coming from, using stats to gauge interest, there's a massive gulf between analysis and acting on analyses. I don't like Sonnen, and he could've made his point here better without yelling over Helwani, but he's probably right in this instance.

2 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Marc Goddard is practicing his "Foight clain now boys" and ensuring the Range Rovers are an adequate distance apart.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Marc Goddard is practicing his "Foight clain now boys" and ensuring the Range Rovers are an adequate distance apart.

I logged in specifically to like these two posts, ya big baldy bastads ye.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The Bellator WW Grand Prix line up was initially posted in the Other MMA thread but it can go in here...

Paul Daley will fight MVP in the opening round. The Grand Prix will launch on DAZN in America so they are gonna try and hit this one big. The lineup is tremendous, not really sure how its gonna work with 10 men though.

Currently catching up with the HW GP (way behind on Bellator but easy to avoid spoilers) and enjoying the shit out of it. The gap between fights would've driven me nuts watching it in real time though. Hope the WW fights are a bit closer together.  

Bit of chatter that UFC rights are heading to Eleven Sports in the U.K. from next year, with the bigger events being held on a new PPV channel Eleven are to set up.

We’ve lived a charmed life in regards to PPV over here, sure, but I still can’t see myself paying for a UFC PPV. It doesn’t have the same feel to me as a big boxing event, which has the water cooler effect where EVERYONE is on about it and you don’t want to miss out. UFC, as much as I love it, doesn’t make me want to pay for it in that way.

Plus, during an MMA downturn, it seems like a terrible time to put UFC on PPV. It seems like a retrograde step that could really hurt the sport.

I’m amazed that in 2018 anyone is setting up new PPV ventures.

7 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

What is Eleven Sports?

ELEVEN SPORTS is an award-winning global sports provider delivering world-class international and domestic sports and lifestyle entertainment to dedicated fans everywhere. Expanding globally, and with a deep understanding of the local fan, ELEVEN is challenging how live sport is packaged and delivered.

ELEVEN SPORTS delivers more than 30,000 LIVE hours of top class sporting action per year to over 17 million paying customers worldwide in Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, Poland, Singapore, Taiwan and the United States. ELEVEN has recently made its first moves in the UK, Ireland and Portugal which are set to become the platform’s eighth, ninth and tenth markets with launches ahead of the 2018/19 domestic football season.

ELEVEN’s platform agnostic approach ensures that fans are engaged at all times, wherever they are; on-air, online including social media. ELEVEN’s OTT platform is at the core of its long-term strategy, offering fans a flexible viewing experience across all digital devices. ELEVEN delivers live coverage of premium sports in local languages, supplemented with news, comprehensive pitch-side and in-studio analysis, digital content and local programming. ELEVEN’s services are 24/7, multiscreen, full HD or 4K and locally produced to the highest international production standards.

ELEVEN SPORTS is part of Aser, a leading global sports and media investment company. For more information about Aser, please click here

One to keep an eye on.

They've already added Serie A, La Liga, Eredivisie and a bunch of other stuff.

They'll have 2 channels available amongst the sport channels sections of sky/virgin etc.. (one is pure football, one is the other stuff they have) as well as a streaming service.

They've previously ran elsewhere as a streaming service, but the feeling is the UK market isn't at the same place with cord cutting as the rest of the world, for whatever reason.

Archived