The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Except maybe Anthony Pettis, no other fighter's career so obviously took a drastic turn for the worse the moment they started getting tested by USADA than Hendricks. It'll be a shame if he was clean throughout and it was merely a coincidence because I think everyone viewed him differently afterward. I know you shouldn't always believe that there's no smoke without fire, but fucking hell, Hendricks reeked of smoke these last few years.

• Paid Members

Whatever happened to Hendricks' punching power as well? Back when he wiped out Fitch and Kampmann his left hand was considered lethal. After that though, it never ever had the same pop again. He could still crack but it wasn't putting guys out. I think that pre-dates USADA coming in so I'm not saying it's necessarily to do with PEDs, but I always found it a bit strange. Was he never actually a KO puncher and lightning actually just struck twice in the same place against Fitch and Kampmann?  

I agree with the above though. I usually hate speculating on fighters using PEDs without any actual evidence but something always seemed fishy to me where Hendricks was concerned. The whole thing going into the GSP fight was the first red flag for me. Where he kept accusing GSP of juicing and demanded special drug testing. GSP agreed then Hendricks suddenly had some major problem with VADA or USADA or whatever it was. GSP talked about it on Rogan's podcast recently. Sounded well dodgy. Then when USADA finally did take over the testing, Hendricks' career nosedived off a fucking cliff and he suddenly kept missing weight and got all fat. He was either a victim of really bad timing and it was all a freaky coincidence, or a dirty cheating bastard. I don't think he ever actually tested dirty, unless I'm forgetting (did he?), but his career trajectory post-USADA looks a lot like the post-USADA runs the likes of Belfort and Mir had. That's all I'm saying.

He did have a lot of miles on the clock. He had a collegiate wrestling career and took a lot of punishment in the Lawler fights.

That being said, I am inclined to agree. GSP's testimony on Rogan's podcast makes me think he was on something. 

• Paid Members

Especially as GSP is the last person in the sport you'd expect to sling mud if he didn't know something. I got the impression GSP knew more about it than he was letting on but, like he always does, he took the high road. 

Good point on the Lawler fights though. They'd have certainly sped up the process of his decline, PEDs or not. 

• Paid Members

Didn't GSP want to go through WADA? I always wondered why everybody holds USADA as such a big deal when WADA is the world's anti-doping agency. VADA's just for one city; seems a bit limited.

• Paid Members

I can't remember which one it was but I remember Hendricks crying because whichever anti-doping agency it was, he thought it was going to be biased because a picture of GSP was on their website. Even though I'm pretty sure they were putting pictures of every athlete in their testing pool on their site, Hendricks himself would've been on there. Hendricks just wanted none of that stricter testing. And the funny thing was he brought the whole thing up in the first place by accusing GSP of cheating and demanding the extra testing. It always seemed to me like he was either calling GSP's bluff and hoping GSP would try to get out of the stricter testing, so he could make GSP look bad. Or he wanted the testing until he realised just how strict it was and what it involved, them showing up randomly and unannounced with the piss cups, you having to tell them where you are at all times etc. 

5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Didn't GSP want to go through WADA? I always wondered why everybody holds USADA as such a big deal when WADA is the world's anti-doping agency. VADA's just for one city; seems a bit limited.

He wanted VADA, basically only done a few boxing and MMA fights, (Rory Vs BJ was under VADA testing) I think Hendricks wanted USADA, some nonsense.

WADA don't test anyone, they give out rules and the world is meant to comply, USADA & VADA are testing agencies, who bring the testing to WADA approved labs.  Their are certain testing agencies from every country but USADA has probably the biggest worldwide testing and the Russian version RUSDA basically allowed cheating for their athletes, there's a Netflix documentary (Icarius) about it, the guys on the run from the Russians for exposing them and basically showed how easy it would be to cheat, like Lance Armstrong in cycling.

• Paid Members

Wait, wasn't Gaethje vs Iaquinta meant to be in August? The TUF finale is early July. Also, what happened to Vick vs Felder? That was signed and set for the JDS vs Ivanov card in a few weeks. Felder injured as well? 

Regardless, Gaethje vs Vick is a brilliant fight. 

Yeah Israel Adesanya vs Brad Tavares headlines TUF finale. 

Great chance for James Vick to make a statement.  Sure watching Gaethje throw down is great fun, but he's showed nothing to suggest he's willing to make the changes he needs to be a competitive fighter at this level. He might win the odd gun fight, but the blows to the head must be taking their toll. 

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. I've got a terrible feeling that Tito's going to KO Chuck. Feels wrong even typing that. There's no need for that fight at all. They fought twice back when they were both fairly close to their primes and Chuck was clearly the better man. This is an old man fight that proves nothing. If Chuck was insistent on fighting again - whether it be that he just misses it or he needs the dough or whatever - there were other fights he could've done. A fight with Chael or another go with Wandy or something. All he's doing here is giving Tito a chance to get the last laugh in their rivalry. This is going to be depressing. And I hate myself because I'm still going to watch it. 

Nice find on the Murray interview Jim. 

Archived