The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

According to MMAFighting.com, Nikita Krylov might be heading back to the UFC. FNG have let him go and the UFC are apparently negotiating with him to fight on the Russia card. He's been on a good little streak, he's gone 4-0 with 4 finishes since leaving the UFC and knocked out Fabio Maldonado in his last fight. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

yeh thats a good move, Krylov was getting some good momentum before leaving. The 4 fight stint outside of the UFC will have done him no harm, he'll come back with a bigger buzz behind him as well as the Russia thing blowing up.

Rashad Evans has announced his retirement. Definitely the right thing to do, the fires been out for quite some time but he's a shoe-in Hall of Famer for me. Brilliant career. I think I was guilty with Rashad of holding onto his past a bit too long, for some reason i always believed Rashad still had those big performances in him but in reality his peak was over 10 years ago which is mental.

• Paid Members

Rashad actually beat nearly all the top names at 205 from his era. Liddell, Ortiz, Rampage, Hendo, Griffin, plus you can add in Bisping and Sonnen. The only notable omissions really for me are Shogun, Wandy, Couture and Machida. Even Jones I'd say was from the next generation after that lot. Rashad had a tremendous career. But the fact that he fought so far past his own era makes people kind of forget that. Similar thing with BJ Penn. They just stuck around way too long. And with every depressing loss and beatdown it watered down the memory of the fighter they once were and their achievements. In Rashad's case you can also add in a load of injuries and layoffs as well. Then the age on top. 

I'm glad he's retired and I really hope he sticks to it. There's plenty he can still offer to MMA if he doesn't want to sever ties with the sport completely. But really with hindsight, he probably should've called it a day at least 5 years ago around the time he had those rotters against Little Nog and Machida. 

• Paid Members

surprised that no ones mentioned it but Bellator have officially announced Rampage/Wanderlei 4 and Mousasi/MacDonald for September 29th. The night will also be the opening night of a 170lb Grand Prix. Fuck yeah!

Bellator have also struck a deal with Dazn, the same company Matchroom Boxing has signed up with.

• Paid Members

Yeah I saw a thing earlier with Chael on about Wandy vs Rampage 4. I'm up for it. If Rampage wins they'll be tied at 2-2 and will have to make it a Best Of 5! I'm hoping Wand gets him again though. He needs something like that after his poor showing against Chael. 

Mousasi vs MacDonald is one of the fights I'm most looking forward to this year easy. MMA, Boxing. Kickboxing, anything. I love that matchup. 

Today was the most satisfying day in my professional career.

Being stood in a green room with Scott Coker, John McCarthy and Rampage was bonkers. Meeting Wanderlei was insane. Rory and Mousasi are two of the quietest, most polite people i've ever met.

And, if anyone watched it, that trailer they aired for the September 29th event was my handy work 😀

d-d-d-dAz(n)

They were all great. On best behaviour I think.

I'd say Wanderlei was the most disinterested as a person, but perfectly nice. He looks like he's made of a material not entirely human. He almost has a Kurt Angle-gait to him. Rampage is an absolute treat, funny in a very quiet way, but he looks like he's going to mess Wanderlei up, at the minute.

Rory and Mousasi have that thing where they look like catalogue models, but there's just something a bit different in their eyes. All four really. But you expect it from the other two.

I've never really been that close to that elite level of fighter before, and there is something truly humbling about being next to someone who could kill you instantly.

But, yeah, i'm a Marketing Manager for the US/fight sports generally @ DAZN. It's been all soccer and Japanese baseball for a year, then the Matchroom deal came up and then this. As a fight fan, it's pretty incredible.

7 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

They were all great. On best behaviour I think.

I'd say Wanderlei was the most disinterested as a person, but perfectly nice. He looks like he's made of a material not entirely human. He almost has a Kurt Angle-gait to him. Rampage is an absolute treat, funny in a very quiet way, but he looks like he's going to mess Wanderlei up, at the minute.

Rory and Mousasi have that thing where they look like catalogue models, but there's just something a bit different in their eyes. All four really. But you expect it from the other two.

I've never really been that close to that elite level of fighter before, and there is something truly humbling about being next to someone who could kill you instantly.

But, yeah, i'm a Marketing Manager for the US/fight sports generally @ DAZN. It's been all soccer and Japanese baseball for a year, then the Matchroom deal came up and then this. As a fight fan, it's pretty incredible.

Hi Daz. I also work at Perform. 

• Paid Members

Just read this. Awesome stuff, Daz! Japanese baseball is probably the only time I've been interested in the sport (when I was living there, a friend of the lady I was staying with was one of the directors of the Yomiuri Giants and he got us tickets for seats behind the plate for a couple of matches - loads of fun), so a bit jealous there, but glad for you you're covering something you're really interested in. Always good to hear about people on here doing well.

Archived