The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I forgot all about that Lee Murray vs Tito Ortiz street fight story. That was when the UFC came over and ran the Royal Albert Hall in 2002 if I'm not mistaken. There were a few wild stories about that trip. One of some scrotes setting about a prime Chuck Liddell of all people, and the story was that Chuck stood with his back against a wall and was knocking people out as they came at him. Think Matt Hughes mentioned in his book as well that even Pat Miletich got dragged into it at some point. 

Like with any fighting story that's been retold countless times, I'm sure it's been embellished. But I'd love to hear more about it. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's commonly accepted that Murray got the best of the exchange. The only bone of contention is how bad was the beating that Ortiz took.  Rogan said on air during UFC 46 that there was footage of the fight somewhere. But if it exists, it's never seen the light of the day. 

CousinJimBob: I agree that Ortiz would have mauled Murray if they fought in the UFC. I think Murray knew that himself. He was petitioning for the likes of Tanner and Baroni in 2004. Not the Ortiz fight. 

Edit:

Here is Pat's version of events:

Probably got tired of chocking out women, Yoel Romero has did the same and that would be a better match up, in the case of Diaz, DC is stronger than everyone he's fought and nick loses to wrestlers, so why fight someone 20-50lbs above what he's ever fought and then expect different results? plus he needs to win his domestic violence case before anyone let's him back.

Because I imagine Nick Diaz gives absolutely zero shits about winning. He'd love to, sure, but he's on the 'Red Panty Carousel' that big names get to eventually: Big Fights, Big Money and Big Meh to the result.

The UFC might give Brock special treatment with USADA (he still has to serve his suspension & pass the tests) but Nick Diaz currently has a domestic violence case that he needs to face, before even thinking of fighting. If the women drops the charges, he gets off on a technicality or he is found innocent, the UFC will bring him in no question if he wants to fight someone, hell they may even give him Woodley or someone he probably shouldn't be fighting but he won't come back before then.

The 205lbs division could be spicy with Gusty, Romero, and Rockhold all fighting for position. Rockhold and Romero also give Glover some fresh and viable opponents. I think D.C will stay at Heavyweight for his final 2 fights. The Lesnar fight being the obvious choice. Although I would be up for D.C vs Romero. 

I'm not sure who Nick Diaz could fight at present time. There probably is a realistic and viable fight out there for him. I just can't think of it. 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I'm not sure who Nick Diaz could fight at present time. There probably is a realistic and viable fight out there for him. I just can't think of it. 

Darren Till? Mouths on both of them would make the build-up must-see.

15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Darren Till? Mouths on both of them would make the build-up must-see.

That would be perfect Carbomb. 

It would depend on whether Diaz considers Till to be a big enough name (and if the money was right). But I would be well up for that fight. 

• Paid Members

Posted this in Paid but fuck it, our second baby was born on Wednesday. A boy weighing in at 9lb fucking 7oz. Shine that belt up DC, there's a new heavyweight on the scene. Can already tell he's going to be a fight fan, he came out with both fists up and the Diaz brothers 'Stockton scowl' and everything.

The fact he was born on July 11th, the date of UFC 100 and Arturo Gatti's death...I should've pushed to call him Brock or Arturo but my mrs would've been having none of that. 

5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Posted this in Paid but fuck it, our second baby was born on Wednesday. A boy weighing in at 9lb fucking 7oz. Shine that belt up DC, there's a new heavyweight on the scene. Can already tell he's going to be a fight fan, he came out with both fists up and the Diaz brothers 'Stockton scowl' and everything.

The fact he was born on July 11th, the date of UFC 100 and Arturo Gatti's death...I should've pushed to call him Brock or Arturo but my mrs would've been having none of that. 

Congratulations mate. 

• Paid Members

Thanks chaps :thumbsup: 

4 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

The fights I'm thinking of are all outside the UFC. Diaz vs Wanderlei, Diaz vs Sonnen, Diaz vs Daley 2, fuck it Diaz vs Liddell. The fights in the UFC that I want to see Diaz in, he's probably not interested in anyway. He only wants big fights and I doubt he sees Darren Till, Robbie Lawler, Donald Cerrone or Mike Perry as big fights. Even the fights I've mentioned outside the UFC, he probably doesn't think are big enough to be worth coming back for. The one fight that ticked all the boxes was Bisping, but Diaz has pissed about so long that Bisping has won the title, lost the title and retired since the fight was first talked about a few years ago. Shame. 

Zero interest in Diaz vs DC. And it'll never happen anyway so it doesn't matter. 

Archived