The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

6 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Just seen David Branch Vs Jacare Souza and Luke Rockhold Vs Chris Weidman have been added to UFC 230 too.  Reported by ESPN

Along with Romero vs Costa which is official.  Looks like Derek Brunson is calling out Israel Adesanya for the same night too. MW stacked night!  I quite like the idea of a weight class jam packing a month at a time, it means that if there are pull outs then we have good fighters, in shape, ready to step in should they be needed. Obviously it wouldn't work having 2-3 events of only flyweight fights, but you get my drift. 

Woodley vs Till is OFFICIAL! For me - if Woodley is willing to go up - this fight is the perfect opportunity for the 175lb belt to be brought in then introduce the 165lb belt to be contested asap. 

What chance are we giving Darren Till (if he fucking makes weight?) of winning the belt? Listening to Woodley on the Helwani show on Monday, it sounds like he's in for a short camp. And he was initially preparing for the wrestling of Colby rather than Southpaw Lucha Livre Till.  IMO Till will never have a better chance of winning the belt for as long as Woodley and Wonderboy are around and close to their primes.  Hope he does it.  Fuck it, I'm backing him! 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Shit, I hadnt even thought of Till and the weight when they mentioned Woodley/Till. He won't get the 1lb allowance now either which don't sound a lot but may be massive in this situation. Till 's incredibly lucky though to get the shot coming off a fight where he missed weight so badly.

As thrilled as I am to see this fight, what this should tell fighters is that if you're considered a "name" and an "earner" the rules of making weight simply do not apply to you.

If you're having a tough cut, just let it go, because a win is still a win, and you'll be bumped up regardless.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, David said:

As thrilled as I am to see this fight, what this should tell fighters is that if you're considered a "name" and an "earner" the rules of making weight simply do not apply to you.

If you're having a tough cut, just let it go, because a win is still a win, and you'll be bumped up regardless.

Yeah, at a time when weight cutting issues are very much in the spotlight, this aint a good look.

We just live in an era where a championship fight simply has to headline every PPV. These things will just continue to happen, regardless of how strange it is from the outside.

It’s unfortunate, as he had every right, but I think Colby might regret saying he wouldn’t be ready for September. His and Woodley’s story just seemed like such a natural fit. If Till wins, Colby has a much less engaging sparring partner.

19 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeah, at a time when weight cutting issues are very much in the spotlight, this aint a good look.

It's an absolute shitshow at the moment, with these guys trying to claw back as much of their investment as possible.

I still believe that when they eventually manage to do that, or get as close to it as they can, they'll be looking to sell up and move on. The only question is, what kind of mess will they be leaving behind by that point? 

I honestly never thought it would get to the stage it has, where the actual common sense part of the product had become so secondary as to see some of the absolute bullshit we do these days.

It's like latter day WCW. I'm just waiting on them announcing that The Rock is getting a title shot in a match where there will be three Octagons stacked on top of each other.

• Paid Members

I think Battle of the Bods is coming a little early for Costa. I do rate him, but Romero is a round away from being world champion.

Although I had similar issues with Till v Wonderboy and now look where Till is. If Till manages to pull it off then he's in with a good shout for fighter of the year - depending on how DC finishes 2018.

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

So Nick Newell had his chance for a UFC contract last night in the contender series... They paired him against a collegiate wrestler.  30-27 across the board against him.

Is that the amputee fella?  Do you think it's a case of "Well we gave him a shot" but they stacked the odds against him even more?

I enjoy a bit of Darren Till as much as the next man but I think this is too soon for him and slightly odd he gets the shot after missing weight by such a large margin and arguably losing the fight with Wonderboy - I don't think he gets that decision anywhere outside Liverpool. 

He didn't say he's not a fan, just if someone with one hand he has a stump on the other gets a kicking, the company looks really bad throwing a disabled guy in there, can you imagine if Khabib a few fights ago mauled him for 5 rounds.

My old karate teacher had the same thing it obviously didn't hold him back or Nick Newell in wrestling but fighting a top guy he's clearly going to be at a disadvantage and that's what regular people will see, if it got mainstream coverage. The guy he fought was 5-0 and he's 12-1 and most experts thought he would win this fight.

1 hour ago, Guy Bifkin said:

They should have given him an easy fight like they did CM Punk, or better still give him CM Punk.

An easy fight would have been fine if they actively wanted to bring him in, which by all accounts they don't.

The guy has a record already that would warrant him being brought straight into the company. He was grudgingly given a shot on DWC series, but it looks as though they set the matchmaking up to allow Dana to say "see? they guy can't compete at this level."

Which, in a weird way, I guess is true. But, there's plenty of guys on the roster who can't handle wrestlers. It's just unfortunate that this particular guy has one arm, which makes him a potential promotional landmine for a company that considers itself mainstream.

Right or wrong, the UFC probably would get shat on if FOX Sports or ESPN broadcast a guy with one arm getting smashed in a cage.

Archived