The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

The issue here is that it only makes sense from a very short term 'business standpoint'. I completely understand why they're doing it as the new owners have a fucking great bill to pay & need cash fast. It's not a sustainable model for growth though.

I think its more a case of realising success in combat sports goes in cycles. Sales can drop off and people can lose interest but it only takes the emergence of a genuine star to bring it back up, its just how it goes.

I think the UFC knows that the days of relying on the brand selling is probably over (unless you hit fresh markets). You simply have to maximise your assets when you have them because the window for success in the game is so small3, hence the superfights they are trying to put on. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They've devalued the superfight thing for me though. Years ago the term 'superfight' only came up when people were discussing fights like Anderson Silva vs Georges St Pierre or something massive like that. These days the term 'superfight' just means 'champion from one division vs champion from another division'. We're in a time when TJ Dillashaw vs Demetrious Johnson and Cris Cyborg vs Amanda Nunes are being talked about as 'superfights'. Don't get me wrong, they're both great fights that I want to see. But a 'superfight' to me should go beyond a straight champ vs champ fight. There are some genuine actual superfights that can still be made. They don't have to involve two belts. Jon Jones vs Brock Lesnar would be a 'superfight' to me. Nobody has a belt there. GSP vs McGregor, if it ever happens, is undoubtedly a 'superfight'. I get that the UFC have to try to hype things up but calling everything a 'superfight' kind of makes nothing seem 'super' in the long run. 

• Paid Members

following up from something i just heard on the MMA Beat...

UFC 230 is set for MSG in November. The rumored McGregor/Khabib is reportedly gonna be in Vegas at 229. 230 has already set a big co-main event with Diaz/Poirier...so what headlines UFC 230 in New York? Im seeing rumors that the UFC will go with DC/Gusty 2. Outside of that i can't really see a fight that sit above Poirier/Diaz as the main event unless they have a quick turn around on a title.

• Paid Members

Well, Oezdemir vs Smith is happening so they're not rescheduling Gus vs Oezdemir. Maybe they are going with DC vs Gus 2. 

Only other thing I can think of is if GSP is coming back to do something but that's probably a longshot. I've heard nothing about a timetable for GSP's next fight, if there's even going to be one. Then again, you'd think if GSP is coming back he would be more likely for the Toronto PPV in December. 

Fuck knows. I'd be well happy with DC vs Gus 2. 

Got to say though, as much as I'd love a DC vs Gus/Poirier vs Diaz PPV, that is a slight comedown for me compared to the last two MSG PPVs. Still a quality top two fights but not quite as stacked as 2016 and 2017's. 

• Paid Members

Saying that, Nate's first fight back against a fairly hot Poirier seems a more high profile fight that Rockhold/Weidman 2. I'm forgetting that they tend to only headline PPV's with title fights  so it's probably not gonna be that thinking about it. 

Wasn't banking on DC ever fighting at 205 again, but is there really anything else? 

• Paid Members

that's what im thinking, it's MSG too so the UFC are gonna wanna come out with something big. Weidman/Rockhold 2 would have been ideal if there was a belt on the line...it also makes me think if the UFC were banking of Weidman, they would have just done Weidman/Whitaker 2 at MSG.

• Paid Members

Yeah, no way Rockhold vs Weidman headlines MSG. That'll be third from top, most likely. 

Considering the first two MSG shows both had 3 title fights on them plus one headlined by McGregor vs Alvarez and the other GSP vs Bisping, they've got to have something up their sleeve for the main event. 

Erm, probably no chance of this but when's Jon Jones cleared to fight? Big star, New Yorker. It'd be ideal. Then he'd fail a test again :rolleyes:

• Paid Members

God, Justin Gaethje came off pig shit thick there. Vick's verbally ripping him a new arsehole and telling him how and why he's going to crush him and all Gaethje can respond with is 'I got more money than you bro. I got FOTN bonuses' and all that. 

Thought Brunson and Adesanya were pretty cringey. I don't think Adesanya's anywhere near as good a talker as people make out and Brunson repeatedly going 'You're skinny. You're skinny man. You're skinny' was cack. Although I did chuckle when he said 'You're built like a senior citizen'. 

Cerrone and Perry's love-in was disappointing. Forgot Perry was at Jackson's now. 

I liked the Woodley-Till stuff. Came off genuine to me and they both seem fired up. 

Good to see Nate back. 

And yeah, finally...

image.jpg

Wait, what? So is Diaz vs Poirier off now? 

• Paid Members

I bloody love Nate Diaz.

14 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I liked the Woodley-Till stuff. Came off genuine to me and they both seem fired up. 

That staredown they did at the start was enough for me to be fully on board with this. Proper intense. Till looked massive too.

Archived