The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

Wouldn't fancy being drawn against him in a grappling tourney, fucking hell.

He could certainly break your leg. On the other hand...

Great article by Jordan Breen about the history of the lightweight division - http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/A-Lightweight-At-the-End-of-the-Tunnel-140861

Elsewhere, Jones has stoked rumours that he might headline UFC 230 at MSG. Schaub suggested earlier in the week that Jones should rematch Gus on the show. Of course, the world is not good enough for that to become a reality. But fucking hell, I would like to see it. 

• Paid Members

Nothing official has come out but most seem to be speculating that it's Jones.

Outside of a DC fight which I can't see happening yet, It has to be JJ. Nothing else is big enough, otherwise Nate would be headlining.

• Paid Members

If the MSG show ends up being headlined by Jon Jones, I kind of sort of called it. Well, speculated on it anyway. 

On 3 August 2018 at 7:37 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Erm, probably no chance of this but when's Jon Jones cleared to fight? Big star, New Yorker. It'd be ideal. Then he'd fail a test again :rolleyes:

Sadly, I bet the failed test bit comes true as well. He's bound to fuck up somehow. It's what I expect from him these days. 

If he does/can fight at MSG though, it's kind of got to be the Gus rematch, hasn't it? Can't really think of anything more obvious than that. DC's going to wait for the Brock fight, and there's nobody else at 205 who makes sense. Plus Jones vs Gus 2 was meant to happen 4 fucking years ago. It's the fight to make. No doubt it'll have an interim title whacked on it but in this case, I wouldn't really be against it because DC might never be back at 205 again. And despite Jones' continuous fuckups, he never lost the belt in the cage so this is one interim that would feel like a more legit title than most. 

image.jpg

I'm in if that's the plan. 

• Paid Members

DC's hand is buggered too, which probably keeps him out a wee while. For what it's worth, DC said a couple of weeks ago that his dream scenario is he fights Jones again at LHW then closes his career with a Brock fight. Two huge pay days right there, which is what he's after.

• Paid Members

I admire him refusing to give up on the Jones fight but I don't want that. If he fights Jones again you just know Jones leaves him a blubbering wreck again and then it takes some of the shine off the Brock fight. Or worse, Jones steals the Brock payday, as well as his soul, from him. 

If DC were to fight Jones again, I think I'd rather see it at heavyweight and after the DC vs Brock fight, if possible. DC insisting on being retired by March makes all this difficult though. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, David said:

I'm a huge believer in styles making fights, and I simply think Jones style is all wrong for DC. If they fought ten times I'd pick Jones to win at least eight of them.

Exactly this. Between his reach, his natural talent, and his fighter IQ, Jones just has too many clubs in the bag for DC to deal with. Like I've mentioned before, he came close to figuring out tactics for beating Jones in the first match by getting into the pocket and smashing him with body shots and uppercuts, but he paid a heavy price not only getting in, but even once he was in - he certainly wasn't getting it all his own way. And the wrestling - the mental damage must have been incalculable. Imagine being an Olympic-level wrestler, with exactly the right build to throw somebody tall and lightly-built like Jones all over the place, and yet he not only stuffs all but one of your takedown attempts, but he actually takes you down at will several times over the course of the match?

Jones may have gotten into DC's head during the build-up to that match, but during the match, he was able to move in his furniture and take in a delivery from IKEA at the door. 

Archived