The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

34 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

The issue here is that it only makes sense from a very short term 'business standpoint'. I completely understand why they're doing it as the new owners have a fucking great bill to pay & need cash fast. It's not a sustainable model for growth though.

Exactly. It's very reminiscent of latter-era WCW I think, reeking of an ownership that are losing money and desperately throwing all manner of shit against the wall to see what sticks, completely ignoring the fact that at some point someone has to clean that fucking wall.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Volkan Oezdemir vs Anthony Smith is headlining a Fight Night in October. 

And Nikita Krylov is back in the UFC. He's fighting Jan Blachowicz on the Russia card in September. 

Love Poirier vs Diaz. That's a great fight. Poirier's going to be fucked soon though, with all these wars one after another. Going from a KO loss to Michael Johnson then going Miller, Alvarez, Pettis, Gaethje, Alvarez, Diaz...fucking brutal. 

Anyone think that the build-up to the Poirier vs Diaz fight is going to see uncle Dana bang on about whoever wins getting the next title shot against either Conor or Khabib, how it's going to be a fight of the century and all that shite only for Poirier to win via unanimous decision after sticking & moving his way to a boring, tactical win? At which point Dana will lose his shit and claim in the post-event presser that Poirier will "definitely fucking not" be getting the next title shot?

• Paid Members

Nah, Poirier has never done boring. It's not in him. That's the way he probably should fight against Nate, to be fair, but Poirier has always been one of those guys who fights smart until he gets cracked. Then it's war. He's still got technique when he fights like that, it's not like he goes full Leonard Garcia. But as good as Dustin is, he seems like one of the easiest guys to drag into a war in the game.

If he beats Diaz - after beating Alvarez, Gaethje, Pettis etc - there's no denying him a title shot. Only thing that'd fuck that up then, IMO, would be if Conor beat Khabib. Because I can't see Conor being too into a 'Pea Head' rematch. He'd probably fuck off to 170 to fight GSP then or something. 

I hope he does boring this time around. Absolutely snoozing his way to a unanimous decision win, prompting Diaz to claim that he "never lost," and Dana to completely lose the fucking rag. Essentially, I hope he wins all five rounds, and is still fresh as a daisy when Anik or Rogan interviews him afterwards.

Not even a bead of sweat or a single bruise on him. It would be worth it to see Dana go beet red and Nate to retire again.

The thing is, it's literally the only way to beat either of those two lads. You can't fight them exciting and win, it just doesn't happen. They have heads fashioned from granite and stamina which is, quite frankly, absurd.

You have to fight them smart. A lot of people thought I was badmouthing McG when he beat Nate in that fashion, but it is really the only way to win against them.

• Paid Members

I know it hasn't been announced yet, and McGregor has mentioned about his possible fight with Khabib needing to be in Vegas, but any chance Diaz Vs Poirier is on the MSG undercard of Khabib Vs Conor? Timing wise it makes sense for lining the winners up afterwards, and it also gives you the back up in case McGregor or Nurmagomedov don't make the card, by having the replacement ready underneath. 

Or is it confirmed already that 230 is being headlined by something else and I've missed/forgotten what it is? 

• Paid Members

I was thinking that initially and it makes sense to do so as they're covered for potential injuries etc, but I feel the UFC knows Nate is a bit of a draw himself these days and will want these fights on seperate cards to maximize buys. 

Last I heard, Ferguson was on schedule to return in September. Perhaps he will be on stand-by to replace Diaz, Poirier, McGregor or Khabib if one of them withdraws? 

I think Ferguson is a bit of a sleeper. I think he beats Diaz and Poirier. I also think he matches up against Khabib better than any other Lightweight. I wouldn't fancy his chances against Conor though. He would surely win if the fight went past 3 rounds, but I get the impression that he would struggle to survive McGregor's early blitz. 

1 minute ago, jimufctna24 said:

Last I heard, Ferguson was on schedule to return in September. Perhaps he will be on stand-by to replace Diaz, Poirier, McGregor or Khabib if one of them withdraws? 

I think Ferguson is a bit of a sleeper. I think he beats Diaz and Poirier. I also think he matches up against Khabib better than any other Lightweight. I wouldn't fancy his chances against Conor though. He would surely win if the fight went past 3 rounds, but I get the impression that he would struggle to survive McGregor's early blitz. 

Unless he scored a takedown. His ground game is no joke, with his chokes being pretty fucking lethal. The list of names he's put to sleep backs that up.

• Paid Members

Regarding the UFC's apparent switch to a more boxing-oriented model, what makes less sense about it is that the UFC's model from the beginning has built the infrastructure to sustain itself. One of the most common observations is that there are just so many events now - PPVs, Fight Night, On Fox, Contender, TUF, etc. There should be an abundant flow of fighters with at least some buzz and presence in the fan consciousness to put on to main cards and prelims, and thus generate interest.  

With that in mind, it's perhaps damning of the current management's approach to match-making and promotion that they're struggling to find people that the fans will be invested enough in that they can make enough matches to generate interest.

• Paid Members

I just haven't been thinking of Ferguson in the reckoning at all after looking at the picture of his knee that circulated following the surgery. I took one glance at that and thought 'cya in a year and a half ugly Tony'. It looked like he was going to be in for a hell of a time recovering from that one. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

With that in mind, it's perhaps damning of the current management's approach to match-making and promotion that they're struggling to find people that the fans will be invested enough in that they can make enough matches to generate interest.

They've already got the people the fans will be invested in, the issue is that they've failed to promote them in either the correct way or at all. The UFC 'doubled down' on people who didn't need help in promoting themselves anyway & ignored everyone else (Rousey/Nunes being the obvious example).

• Paid Members
Just now, Dead Mike said:

They've already got the people the fans will be invested in, the issue is that they've failed to promote them in either the correct way or at all. The UFC 'doubled down' on people who didn't need help in promoting themselves anyway & ignored everyone else (Rousey/Nunes being the obvious example).

That's what I meant - I didn't express myself well enough. They've got all these people on the programming whom the fans should either be clamouring to see or getting revved up to see face each other when they're booked, and because of their bizarre approach to promotion, they've ended up, as you say, doubling down on the big names, and not building up the small names.

David summed it up: they've gone from the WWF model, where Vince would make people want to see talent, then give them what they wanted to see, to WCW, where they relied almost exclusively on established names to keep interest up, only making big names where they lucked out and stumbled onto them.

Archived