The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

A nice normal few days in MMA:

McGregor is claiming that he offered to step in to face Edgar at UFC 222, but the UFC didn't have enough time to generate the money he was asking for. Elsewhere, Ortiz and Liddell are both campaigning for a 3rd fight with one another in the UFC. Both are claiming that the other is ducking them. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Normality? Anyway, pleased McGregor has put the boxing/Mayweather pay day out of his head, for a while. Maybe explains why Nate resurfaced on Sunday?

I wonder how the UFC play this. Nate first, or the winner of Tony v Khabib? Can't wait for either.

If you've followed McGregor on insta, you'll notice he'd been training for a while now.

Could Conor make 145lb realistically anymore? He looked a right state when he weighed in against Aldo, and he's bulked up some since then. I'm sure he must walk around nowadays with a bigger weight than he did when he was competing regularly at Featherweight. Asking him to make a big cut on short notice would have taken some doing.

The supposed Lee/Barboza fight sounds like it could be a good one. Seems a shame that nearly all the top contenders at Lightweight are fighting regularly (we're getting two Khabib fights in 5 months for fucks sakes!) whilst the kingpin of it all is sat around waiting for the megabucks. 

I thought Conor looked pretty ill when he weighed in for the Floyd fight, which was at 154lb.  He's probably someone who would benefit from the 165lb division that more and more fighters seem to be angling to be created.  No way could he make 145lb any more. I doubt he was serious about fighting at 222, but if he was I'm sure it would have been at a higher weight. 

• Paid Members

To pile on, Elias Theodorou will become MMA's first ever (so they say) ring boy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/c49aa317-327f-447b-bcca-ddfa923a6830

elias-theodorou-ufc-fight-night-89.jpg

I think I speak for David when I say about time. Also, phwoar!

As an aside, anyone else have a hard time reading "ring boy" and not immediately thinking of fat wrestlers molesting children (allegedly)?

• Paid Members

At least this shows McGregor is getting the itch to fight again. Hopefully he leaves the boxing ideas alone now. He did it, he lost a one sided fight, he cashed up big time, now leave it at that. Nothing in boxing is going to equal what the Mayweather fight did in terms of money or exposure and he's going to lose to anyone good. I want to see him back in MMA now. It's been about 15 months since the Alvarez fight at MSG, for fuck's sake. 

Imagine the shock if they'd gone with Edgar vs McGregor for UFC 122? While we were all scratching our heads and wondering what the fuck they were going to do when Holloway got hurt, speculating on whether Edgar would face Ortega, Garbrandt or whoever. Imagine they pulled the McGregor card out of the pack then? Must admit I'd have been all over that. Just for completion's sake, Edgar was the one top featherweight we never got to see McGregor face and besides that I think it's a really interesting matchup of styles as well. I think McGregor would be fine at 145 again but who knows, right? He always made the weight and despite looking like shite on the scales he always performed well on fight night. There's no real reason to think it'd be any different now but it was clearly a really rough cut to 145 for him and you've only got so many of those kind of weight cuts in you. 

He'll surely end up fighting either the Ferguson/Khabib winner or Nate Diaz on his return. Those are the fights that make the most sense (albeit for different reasons) and as much as I'd have been up for the Edgar fight I think McGregor's comeback fight deserves a better buildup and a full camp. Nobody wants to see him come back on a few weeks' notice and not be at his best. After all this time that'd be crap. 

I know I'll get shot down by all of the "it's all about the money, and all about PPV buys" crowd, but I think that what McG needs to be doing now is cementing some sort of proper in-cage legacy.

Among all of the flash cars, ridiculously tight suits and silly walks is a guy who's supposed to be wanting to carve out a legacy for himself, isn't there? He's got the money now. He's wealthy beyond anything he could ever imagine, and he'll not exactly be earning a pittance when he fights again either.

For me, it's time he got himself right and started fighting the names that will put him in the history books. And I know, those books mean fuck when you're older and the mortgage needs paying, but he's got that sorted now. Surely to fuck he doesn't want to be sitting at 45 years old telling Conor Jnr or whatever he's called his kid that his legacy in MMA is winning two titles but defending neither?

There are some legacy-making fights to be made against the likes of Ferguson, Khabib, and even GSP. Win or lose, those are the fights to be made.

He can piss about with a semi-retired dope fiend later on, for now he's surely wanting to be facing the top guys? Or is he simply not at that level now? 

Archived