The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members
Just now, David said:

To be honest C-Bomb, I've said it before but I don't think any MMA fight between them will be a whitewash with McGregor smashing Mayweather. I think the boxing match between them was as close as you can get to a fix without it actually being a fix, and think that any MMA bout would be the same. 

The boxing match saw both guys come out of it looking decent, and I think the MMA fight would be the same, unfortunately. 

I dunno, man. McGregor's a canny enough customer that he'd probably utilise kicks more than punches, and he probably trains enough in grappling with Gunnar that he has the clubs in the bag to make it a very unhappy night for Mayweather. Of course, it all hinges on just how serious Mayweather is about training up his takedown and leg defence, I guess. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Carbomb said:

I dunno, man. McGregor's a canny enough customer that he'd probably utilise kicks more than punches, and he probably trains enough in grappling with Gunnar that he has the clubs in the bag to make it a very unhappy night for Mayweather. Of course, it all hinges on just how serious Mayweather is about training up his takedown and leg defence, I guess. 

Oh yeah, if McG wanted to make it a bad night for Floyd he could, of course he could. But, as I said a few days ago, Mayweather could have made McG look ridiculous in that boxing match if he'd wanted to, but he didn't.

Here's a question for you. Knowing Mayweather as we do, the kind of guy he is how smart he is, do you think he'd come into an MMA bout knowing he was gonna get fucked up and made a fool of? 

I reckon McG would operate in an MMA fight the same way as Floyd did in the boxing match. Make it interesting, give the fans a show, then take the win in a fashion that makes both fighters look good.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, David said:

Neither should Mayweather, realistically. He's a boxer with fuck all else really.

Maybe, but at least Floyd is as legit as a fighter gets, in his sport. He's coming into this thing as one of the greatest boxers ever. It's at least something; standards are low in regards to Punk.

I think we'll see Punk fight Mike Jackson next, which will be a real gauge of his skillset at that level. If he can win that fight then I reckon he could probably handle Floyd.

Wouldn't give Punk a chance against Snr though, I reckon that crazy old fool would go all 'hood style and put a beating on Punk, Jackson and even McG if he got within slapping distance.

Snr was the originator of ground and pound, motherfucker.

• Paid Members
Just now, David said:

Oh yeah, if McG wanted to make it a bad night for Floyd he could, of course he could. But, as I said a few days ago, Mayweather could have made McG look ridiculous in that boxing match if he'd wanted to, but he didn't.

Here's a question for you. Knowing Mayweather as we do, the kind of guy he is how smart he is, do you think he'd come into an MMA bout knowing he was gonna get fucked up and made a fool of? 

I reckon McG would operate in an MMA fight the same way as Floyd did in the boxing match. Make it interesting, give the fans a show, then take the win in a fashion that makes both fighters look good.

That's just it: as I mentioned on the previous page, it's that low-risk, business-savvy approach that, amongst other things, makes me think this fight just isn't going to happen. Aside from the risk he takes by stepping into the Octagon in the first place, there's the operational side of things: he'll probably insist on it being a co-promotional thing, owing to the fact that the UFC, for all the millions they make, don't make anywhere near what a mainstream-promoted boxing match makes. I don't see the UFC going for that.

If it did happen, bear in mind that McGregor wouldn't have the luxury that Mayweather did of artificially prolonging the fight for entertainment purposes; MMA fights aren't that long, and whilst McG's cardio isn't terrible, it's vastly inferior to Mayweather's, which means any kind of messing around actually plays into Floyd's wheelhouse, and raises the risk unnecessarily. Plus, knowing McG, he might go off-script and decide that, as Mayweather is 40 and he's 29/30, he'd improve his marketability by completely dominating him.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't actually happen in the UFC per se, but in a Zuffa/Mayweather promotions type deal or something.

It could easily be some sort of hybrid rules carry-on, with no takedowns and no elbows etc. 

At this stage who the fuck knows? It's insanity. If the boxing match can happen though, then anything can happen.

• Paid Members

Yeah, but the boxing match happened because both sides knew it would generate obscene amounts of cash. The highest-paid MMA fight ever never made even a fraction of the amount that Mayweather would consider worth interrupting his wife punch-bag training for.

As to it being a co-promotion, I guess I should take my own words into consideration: if there's enough money on the table, anything can happen. I just got the impression that Zuffa would never have agreed to it under the Fertittas, as they seemed to be very protective of the UFC brand, but maybe WME have a different perspective on things.

McG's an idiot if he wants to win and agrees to any hybrid rules. Mayweather got his boxing match. McG should get MMA rules, no questions asked. Of course, if he's doing it solely for the extra cheddar, then he won't mind - but then would anyone pay for it?

Just now, Carbomb said:

Yeah, but the boxing match happened because both sides knew it would generate obscene amounts of cash. The highest-paid MMA fight ever never made even a fraction of the amount that Mayweather would consider worth interrupting his wife punch-bag training for.

As to it being a co-promotion, I guess I should take my own words into consideration: if there's enough money on the table, anything can happen. I just got the impression that Zuffa would never have agreed to it under the Fertittas, as they seemed to be very protective of the UFC brand, but maybe WME have a different perspective on things.

McG's an idiot if he wants to win and agrees to any hybrid rules. Mayweather got his boxing match. McG should get MMA rules, no questions asked. Of course, if he's doing it solely for the extra cheddar, then he won't mind - but then would anyone pay for it?

This isn't your run of the mill MMA fight though, is it? In the same way as it wasn't a run of the mill boxing match. If Mayweather is involved it's generating the kind of money that MMA will never have seen before I'd think.

And don't for a second think that the UFC/WME won't co-promote if there's money to be made. If the cash in green and meets their requirements then nothing is off the table, as you say.

And McG isn't really in a position to dictate terms, be it boxing or MMA. Mayweather is the money man, so he makes the rules so to speak. If he wants hybrid and McG says no then Floyd can walk away and leave him to go fight Khabib for a couple of million.

Floyd really does hold all the cards.

2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yes. 

It wouldn't break any records, but anything involving Mayweather and McGregor fighting will do impressive numbers, regardless of the rule-set. 

• Paid Members

I bet they would. We've seen and talked about the sheep in McGregor's fanbase and how he's brilliantly planted this theory that he was either robbed, or that boxing doesn't count because it's not a real fight. If they added some kicks, say, and do 5 5 minute rounds then Conor can sell that it's a proper contest now and Floyd has got nowhere to hide - in fact, Conor can boast that he's changing the rules to give Floyd even the slightest chance.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, David said:

This isn't your run of the mill MMA fight though, is it? In the same way as it wasn't a run of the mill boxing match. If Mayweather is involved it's generating the kind of money that MMA will never have seen before I'd think.

And don't for a second think that the UFC/WME won't co-promote if there's money to be made. If the cash in green and meets their requirements then nothing is off the table, as you say.

And McG isn't really in a position to dictate terms, be it boxing or MMA. Mayweather is the money man, so he makes the rules so to speak. If he wants hybrid and McG says no then Floyd can walk away and leave him to go fight Khabib for a couple of million.

Floyd really does hold all the cards.

All very true. I guess my understanding was coloured by the UFC's refusal to sign Fedor because of his insistence on co-promotion with M1 Global, which is stupid on my part - the money in question there wasn't even comparable.

To be fair, McG now has a fair chunk of change that he doesn't necessarily have to agree to everything Mayweather demands, but yeah - I don't see him arguing much if Floyd decides it's too much risk. As Monsieur Bollocks says, McGregor can always spin some MMA-lite match as being a generous concession to give Mayweather a chance, or that Mayweather's too pussy to fight full-on his rules.

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I think MayGregor (McWeather?) 2 is likely to go ahead.

• Paid Members

Quite surprised everyone is going along with this. Im 99% certain Floyd is trolling the fans. 

The Punk thing comes from a random quote made my Floyds uncle where he admitted he didnt even know who CM Punk was. People forgetting that Punk weighed 40lb above Floyds fightings weight on his UFC debut. Fight is not going to happen.

17 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Quite surprised everyone is going along with this. Im 99% certain Floyd is trolling the fans. 

The Punk thing comes from a random quote made my Floyds uncle where he admitted he didnt even know who CM Punk was. People forgetting that Punk weighed 40lb above Floyds fightings weight on his UFC debut. Fight is not going to happen.

Stop being a spoilsport, Ebb. Join in the outlandish fight breakdowns like the rest of us!

• Paid Members

Indeed. Egg going full Wagenheim on us.

I never in my lifetime expected to have a serious(ish) debate about the outcome and potential risks of a CM Punk v Mayweather proper fight, but there it is. Ridiculous.

I think most people are more up for discussing it because in this dimension McGregor v Mayweather was "impossible", but, again, there it is.

• Paid Members

Has Mayweather ever fought at WW in boxing? I know he holds belts in multiple divisions. I figured that, seeing as he was able to fight McG, and McG has fought at 170, that he could theoretically fight Punk.

Archived