The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
19 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I think you need to take a long hard look at the man in the mirror after that one, Carbomb. 

It'll certainly take a worse pun to beat it.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, it's getting out of hand now. Punk would be a good starter match for a Mayweather MMA run, but come on - the only advantage Punk has there is that he's physically bigger. I don't think even his grappling or kicking is good enough to help him against someone like Mayweather.

8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Fucking hell, it's getting out of hand now. Punk would be a good starter match for a Mayweather MMA run, but come on - the only advantage Punk has there is that he's physically bigger. I don't think even his grappling or kicking is good enough to help him against someone like Mayweather.

Get that takedown and it's Punk's world...

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, David said:

Get that takedown and it's Punk's world...

Normally I'd say yeah, but is his grappling all that either? I know his background isn't in wrestling, and kenpo is more of a striking style. 

Mind you, I'd laugh my arse off seeing Mayweather tap to an Anaconda Vice.

The UFC don't have much to lose if they book that match-up. It doesn't reflect that badly on the UFC if Punk loses. They can just point out that Punk is not a proper fighter, and invite Floyd back to fight someone legitimate. If Punk wins, then the worst fighter the UFC have under contract will have beaten the best boxer of this century. That's a great advert for the credibility of UFC, and MMA in general. 

The rule of the thumb is that a pure grappler beats a pure striker most of the time. The best examples being Royce Gracie vs Art Jimmerson, Steve Jennum vs Melton Bowen, Mark Hunt (version 2002) vs Yoshida. You could also add Couture vs Toney to that list as well. All Couture had to do was successfully land and ankle pick, and Toney was toast. The Sylvia vs Mercer fight was the exception to the rule, and created a bit of a false impression. Kimbo had submitted Mercer a year or so earlier.  

Floyd isn't daft when it comes to business matters. He could be training grappling defence more than people think; similar to what Cro Cop did in his early days in Pride. That probably wouldn't do Floyd much good against a skilled and seasoned mid-tier grappler, but it could be enough against someone of Punk's ability. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Normally I'd say yeah, but is his grappling all that either? I know his background isn't in wrestling, and kenpo is more of a striking style. 

Mind you, I'd laugh my arse off seeing Mayweather tap to an Anaconda Vice.

Indeed. Realistically all Punk has is a couple of years more experience than Floyd and size. Unless he's improved massively in a year and Floyd does next to no wrestling training, Punk is hardly going to be Damian Maia - a brown belt of limited ability mauled him. The Gall fight exposed how shocking his grasp of the ground game is, seeing all the rookie mistakes he made. Again, he's had a year or so to improve, but Punk is ages away from being any good as a fighter. Floyd, while a boxer, is a fighter and a great one.

It's the ultimate freak show, though, right? So much so, I'm not opposed to it what so ever, even if it's unrealistic.

• Paid Members

There's also the fact that, whilst Mayweather wouldn't be able to rely on his boxing so much in an MMA fight, his level of skill is such that he could probably rock Punk several times before Ol' Phil was able to close the distance, if he could at all. This would basically be an MMA squash match. Ironic, as Punk left wrestling because he felt he wasn't getting his due as a wrestler. 

Really, though, given Floyd's age, how seriously he's likely to take it (and I think this is just them trying to keep him relevant for whatever reason - I don't think he has any intention of stepping into the cage), how determined he is to remain undefeated in combat sports, and how long these things take to negotiate, the only fight worth making is the McGregor fight. It's the only one that anyone wants to see, really. Would you want to see Mayweather vs. GSP, either in boxing or MMA? I wouldn't. Mayweather vs. Ferguson or Nurmagomedov? No appeal there either.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

There's also the fact that, whilst Mayweather wouldn't be able to rely on his boxing so much in an MMA fight, his level of skill is such that he could probably rock Punk several times before Ol' Phil was able to close the distance, if he could at all. This would basically be an MMA squash match. Ironic, as Punk left wrestling because he felt he wasn't getting his due as a wrestler. 

Really, though, given Floyd's age, how seriously he's likely to take it (and I think this is just them trying to keep him relevant for whatever reason - I don't think he has any intention of stepping into the cage), how determined he is to remain undefeated in combat sports, and how long these things take to negotiate, the only fight worth making is the McGregor fight. It's the only one that anyone wants to see, really. Would you want to see Mayweather vs. GSP, either in boxing or MMA? I wouldn't. Mayweather vs. Ferguson or Nurmagomedov? No appeal there either.

Speak for yourself. Seeing Khabib suplex Floyd a couple of times before 'Money' quickly taps out to strikes would be awesome.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Speak for yourself. Seeing Khabib suplex Floyd a couple of times before 'Money' quickly taps out to strikes would be awesome.

Normally I'd agree that seeing Floyd "She Had It Coming" Mayweather obliterated would be very satisfying, but coming from Khabib "Genocidal Dictator's Best Bud" Nurmagomedov, that feeling would quickly lose its lustre, if it ever had it. 

If we could trust GSP to use his wrestling for something a bit more spectacular and painful-looking than grapple-fucking and submissions, I'd be up for that.

I mean, lets not get too excited. Punk is a blue belt in BJJ, if he gets Mayweather to the ground, and Mayweather is at white belt level, he beats him handily.

Getting inside would be the problem as Punk will probably never have seen speed like Floyd's, but he'd absolutely smash him on the ground.

• Paid Members

@Carbomb Meh. Morrissey is a shithead, but I'm away to see him on Saturday because Glamorous Glue and Sheila Take a Bow are belters. So in the same way, if Khabib is fighting, I'm throwing my moral compass onto the fire. Although, I think Khabib being "friends" with Putin isn't as shit as constantly hitting the mother of your children - partly because I'm sure if Khabib did try and give Putin the cold shoulder things wouldn't turn out so great for him and his family. Excuses, I know I know, but do you really have much of a say if Putin wants to be your friend? He's the ultimate bully. I'm sure Khabib isn't chuckling like a Bond villain as Putin orders another families slaughter.

Archived