The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I hear all that. And I don't agree with Nate Diaz getting the title shot either (if that's actually happening). But as bullshit as that would/will be, at least Nate's an actual fighter. This Punk thing is just something I'm uneasy about. Sure, there's an audience for it. But there's an audience for a lot of shit that probably shouldn't happen if you go that route. I hope it's a one off and he wins and gets his moment and either walks away or moves into announcing or whatever. If he's planning to fight on indefinitely I see him getting hurt pretty bad before too long. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Given how many actual fights go by these days in the UFC without me having an iota of interest in i really don't have an issue with it. It's just one fight at the end of the day. The UFC has the 'elite level' status about it but i don't have any problem with seeing two guys fight out on their platform even if they are of a lower level, people know what kind of fight it is and if it's something that you have no interest in just skip it and watch the next fight. It's all about dollars and sense at the end of the day and Punk fighting, despite his shocking debut is gonna draw some eyes to the show.

Well I probably will end up watching it because it'll no doubt be slapped in the middle of a PPV. It doesn't 'bother' me to the point where I'd have to look away from the screen and find something else to do for 15 minutes when that fight is about to start. Its not like it offends me or anything. It's just not something I'm seeing the big attraction in. 

29 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

There's only one way I would be interested in seeing Punk fight again - if they stuck him in the ring with Piers Morgan, Bono, or Justin Bieber.

Normally I'd be up for throwing Piers Morgan into the octagon but the sad thing is even he might have a shot at beating old CM :/ 

• Paid Members

Actually, out of those three, I think Bieber might have the best chance. From what I understand, he seems to have cottoned on that there are a lot of people who (understandably) want to smack his teeth in, and has been doing boxing training.

• Paid Members

Like I said before, Colin had the best idea. Punk vs Van Damme. As mental as it sounds. Something like that I could get into. If you're going to go the freakshow route, go all the way with it. Not one ex WWE name vs some scrub nobody. 

Obviously, way easier said than done and you'd have to get JCVD to sign off on it but I'd be up for that and I'd get it way more as an attraction than this Jackson fight. We'd all probably beat Mike Jackson for fuck's sake. Seems a nice enough guy but he's useless. Who wants to watch that? 

I want to see Nate back in the cage. However, I can't get excited over Woodley vs Nate. As a viewer, I really don't see the upside to it.

It's a bad style match-up for Nate. If the pair fought 10 times, I think Woodley would win at least 8 times. There's always a small chance that something goes against the script, such is the lived reality of combat sport, but the chances of that are remote. I would also favour Woodley to beat RDA, but at least that fight has some intrigue around it, as RDA would have a real chance of winning. I can't see Woodley vs Nate being that exciting a fight either, unless Woodley decides to fight Nate's fight, which he probably won't.  

Punk vs a celebrity isn't that far-fetched of an idea. The UFC tried to arrange a bout between Wesley Snipes and Joe Rogan in 2004/2005 (that's not a joke). However, times have changed. If they at least book Punk against an actual fighter, they do save a modicum of credibility. Punk fighting an Eric Bristow or Phil Mitchell might put too much heat on the company, and damage their image. There are degrees to these things in terms of what a promoter can get away with. Although I do agree with Wand that the UFC going all-out freakshow would be more fun. 

Edit:

Dana White on Tyron Woodley vs. Nate Diaz: "He's full of shit. You couldn't be more wrong, He couldn't be more full of shit. It's so not true"

"We're looking at @RdosAnjosMMA vs. Woodley for the title" #UFC

You have to love the way Dana addresses comments made by one of his company's champions. I swear to God, the guy still thinks it's 2003, doesn't he? I know he's the main man at the head of the flagship and all that jazz, but when you see how he acts in comparison to someone like Scott Coker the difference is embarrassing.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

After Brooks' last outing in the octagon, I think the corpse of the king of pop would stand a good chance.

As a match it would certainly be a thriller.

• Paid Members

Wonderful.

Anyway, hilarious how Woodley's been made to looks like a gimp by Dana and RDA. Proper into the Woodley/RDA contest too, as I think RDA is going to force Woodley to engage and we'll get a proper look to see if he has any cardio issues (if RDA doesn't get wiped out on a round).

2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Wonderful.

Anyway, hilarious how Woodley's been made to looks like a gimp by Dana and RDA. Proper into the Woodley/RDA contest too, as I think RDA is going to force Woodley to engage and we'll get a proper look to see if he has any cardio issues (if RDA doesn't get wiped out on a round).

As much as it actually surprises me to see the UFC resist the temptation to pass over a legit contender in RDA, I couldn't be more happy that they're doing it. RDA is the logical choice from a merit standpoint, and it should make for an interesting fight.

Archived